iPad mini gets Siri but iPad 2 still left without

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
It was announced on Tuesday that the new iPad mini is compatible with Apple's Siri voice recognizing assistant, however owners of the now long-in-the-tooth iPad 2 still won't be able to access the feature.

With the announcement, it appears that Siri will never make it to the iPad 2, as the tablet was only mentioned in passing in a brief a comparison to the new iPad mini.

Looking at the technical specifications, the iPad mini boasts a number of improvements over the iPad 2, including upgraded cameras, extended wireless capabilities, and perhaps most important to some, a lower price tag.

What is identical, however, is the A5-series chip found in both tablets, a version of which is also used in the fifth-generation iPod touch. Unlike the iPad 2, however, the iPad mini and iPod touch sport Siri functionality.

It is unclear why Apple decided to once again pass over the iPad 2, though it could portend the inevitable axing of the product from the tablet line as it is more expensive and less capable than its newly-released sibling. The tablet is likely to be kept on as a "budget" model to the fourth-generation iPad, and could be phased out when the next full-size tablet is launched sometime next year.

The only feature trumped by the second-generation iPad is the size of its display, though as Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller pointed out, the mini's screen resolution is identical to the 9.7-inch iPad 2's, except condensed into a 7.9-inch format. According to those on hand at the event, the higher pixel density is noticeable, though not quite up to par with the full-size iPad's Retina display.

With almost every new device coming out of Cupertino being Siri capable, the iPad 2 stands out as a lonely carry-over product that is past its prime.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Hmmm that is true, wonder what the reason is.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

I noticed on Apple's spec comparison page that the mini can do 1080p video recording while the iPad2 can only do 720p.  My guess is the A5 processor in the mini is clocked higher, possibly with more RAM, etc.  

That or the iPad2 is very deliberately crippled.

• Reply 3 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    I noticed on Apple's spec comparison page that the mini can do 1080p video recording while the iPad2 can only do 720p.  My guess is the A5 processor in the mini is clocked higher, possibly with more RAM, etc.  

Could it be that the camera in the Mini is just better? The iPad 2 never had great cameras to begin with.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    When iPad (3rd gen) was introduced, the iPad 2 model stayed on at $399 with 8GB.
    But the iPad (4th gen) seems to have totally replaced the 3rd gen.
    No mention of 3rd gen iPad on Apple.com/iPad. Just "iPad with Retina display."
  • Reply 5 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    When iPad (3rd gen) was introduced, the iPad 2 8GB model stayed on at $399.
    But the iPad (4th gen) seems to have totally replaced the 3rd gen.
    No mention of 3rd gen iPad on Apple.com/iPad. Just "iPad with Retina display."

Yeah, the third gen iPad is dead, it's history, and it doesn't exist anymore.

There will probably be some refurbs available for a short time, but after that, that's all she wrote.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Also interesting that the iPad 2 is completely untouched. Still has the old 30-pin dock connector. Just like the iPod classic still does. So it feels like the iPad 2 (and maybe iPod classic) are both there only as long as there is still some demand, but Apple won't spend any more engineering effort on them. Even if it's just a Lightning dock connector.
  • Reply 7 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yeah, the third gen iPad is dead, it's history, and it doesn't exist anymore.

There will probably be some refurbs available for a short time, but after that, that's all she wrote.

Yup.  That explains why Apple didn't call the 3rd gen the "2012 iPad."  Because there are (were) actually three iPad models introduced in 2012.  It also explains why the 3rd gen gave me that nagging feeling that it was still an "interim" model.  And that would explain why I never got one.  But the 4th gen and mini have pushed me over the edge.  I'll be getting one or the other.  Probably the mini for me and 4th gen for my mom.

• Reply 8 of 17
    It's a simple reason really, crappy mic on the iPad 2.
  • Reply 9 of 17

Apple is a hardware company, not a software company. They use software to lure you into buying new hardware. Weather it's left out features or bloated eye-candy that demands a faster CPU.

Move over Micro$oft, we have a new "Big Brother"

• Reply 10 of 17
    Firstly, to clear up a point that seems widely misinterpreted, Siri functionality is largely dependent on the GFX capabilities of a device rather than CPU because Apple use one of the PowerVR cores to 'clean up' the speech and help to find a close match.

Siri works on the iPhone 4S with seamless performance. Apple seems to be taking the stance that, despite "technically" being able to run Siri on iPhone 4 and 3GS devices, the performance would be sub par in some situations and may not always lead to smooth performance. The iPhone 4S was the first phone to have dual core graphics so the logic works there. The iPad 2 runs the same A5 as the iPhone 4S, however, and is clocked 200MHz faster. The iPad mini runs the A5 also and does support Siri like the 4S.

It could be reasonable to assume that some minor architectural tweak gives *slightly* better performance on the two 'newer' A5 implementations - perhaps some mechanism for faster data transfer - and that is why the iPad 2 is not supported. In that case, it probably would run Siri but perhaps with the slightest, slightest hint of lag in there compared to the others as AI around speech is no simple task.

It is a fact that the GPU is more relevant than the CPU. Taking an educated guess about the A5 devices' Siri compatibilities though, I'd say there's a few things going on. I'd say there may be an architectural tweak. I'd also hazard a guess that the iPad 2 may be a tiny amount slower with Siri as it went into production before Siri was pushed out as a Beta and so never received the hypothetical tweak. Keeping Siri to newer product lines means Siri is unique to newer devices, making more money. The truth probably lies in a combination of these points because there's nothing in the easily visible specs that suggests iPad 2 should not be compatible whilst later A5 devices are.
  • Reply 11 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Also interesting that the iPad 2 is completely untouched. Still has the old 30-pin dock connector. Just like the iPod classic still does. So it feels like the iPad 2 (and maybe iPod classic) are both there only as long as there is still some demand, but Apple won't spend any more engineering effort on them. Even if it's just a Lightning dock connector.

I would bet the iPad 2 will be replaced with the iPad 3 one of these day with no pre-warning. 

• Reply 12 of 17
    Am I the only one here who feels a bit disturbed that a device I bought less than a year ago is no considered to be obsolete technology. 1 YEAR !
  • Reply 13 of 17
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    sockrolid wrote: »

The iPad 2 is end of life and depending on sales it 'may' see a slight refresh to the lightning port and be kept for education or will be discontinued. I guess Apple will gauge this based on what schools purchase.

The iPad 2 lacks the dsp used to handle voice etc for Siri.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Apple is commercial, it's all about money.

No software updates : Buy a new one.

You buy a $600/700/800 product, after 2 years : No more OS updates.
    Sell it and buy the new model : more cash for apple.

My 64GB 4G ($829) iPad 3 bought 5 months ago is already absolete...
  • Reply 15 of 17

Personally, I think that the new iPad mini has 1gb of RAM, and the fact that the iPad 2 only has 512mb might be a limiting factor.  We'll have to wait on the benchmarks to see the truth of my guess.

• Reply 16 of 17

Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

Apple is a hardware company, not a software company. Move over Micro$oft, we have a new "Big Brother"

Get a clue, or at least some sense of history.

Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

Apple is a software company. We've always considered ourselves a software company. People who write their own software should want to make their own hardware.

Originally Posted by rolivier View Post

Apple is commercial, it's all about money.

A~nd the opposite is true.

No software updates : Buy a new one.

They're still getting software updates and will for another year.

You buy a $600/700/800 product, after 2 years : No more OS updates.

Three years.

My 64GB 4G ($829) iPad 3 bought 5 months ago is already absolete...

If you want to act so ignorant as to believe this, it's your problem. Please don't perpetuate those lies here.

• Reply 17 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you want to act so ignorant as to believe this, it's your problem. Please don't perpetuate those lies here.

This will probably get me banned, but Tallest Skil is kinda a douchebag.  No one's opinion seems to be ok, unless it's his.