ITC judge: Samsung infringes on Apple touchscreen and design patents

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an initial determination filing on Wednesday, U.S. International Trade Commission Judge Thomas Pender found Samsung in violation of four Apple patents, including IP for touchscreen technology co-invented by late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs.

Judge Pender found that Samsung infringed on three Apple utility patents and one design patent, meaning the Galaxy maker might face an import ban if the the six-member Commission agrees with the ruling in a final determination, reports Bloomberg.

ITC Logo

The decision is the result of Apple's ITC complaint from July 2011, in which the company filed a countersuit against Samsung's own complaint that requested an investigation of iPhone, iPad and iPod products alleged to be in violation of certain wireless patents.

Apple later streamlined its case in May, dropping a physical push button patent and 15 claims regarding plug-in detection and multitouch patents.

As noted by CNET, the ITC's initial decision was scheduled to be handed down last week, but was extended to the end of October. The Commission is aiming to reach a final determination on the matter by February 19, 2013.

Wednesday's preliminary decision comes after an unsuccessful September ITC complaint from Samsung, which alleged certain Apple products infringed on four of the Korean electronics maker's patents. Like Judge Pender's ruling, the September decision must undergo a final review by the Commission.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63

El Oh El.

• Reply 2 of 63
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    This sh*t just got realz, Sammy.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Sweet music to my ears.
  • Reply 4 of 63

Oh! Right!

"The legal system is broken!"

• Reply 5 of 63

**** Samsung.

'Nuff said.

Sike. Samsung just lost a shitload of money until they find a new way to make touchscreens.

• Reply 6 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I thought I read this morning another headline on some other site that Samsung didn't infringe on Apple's touchscreen patents. I don't recall if it mentioned ITC. DId I read that headline wrong or is there another case elsewhere on this issue?
  • Reply 7 of 63
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh! Right!

"The legal system is broken!"

'cept for juries.   ;)

A jury of one's peers seems to know what's up pretty quick. 

• Reply 8 of 63

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

'cept for juries.   ;)

"THE JURY WAS PAID OFF. THE GUY OWNED A PATENT; HE CANNOT POSSIBLY SERVE ON A JURY!"

• Reply 9 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I thought I read this morning another headline on some other site that Samsung didn't infringe on Apple's touchscreen patents. I don't recall if it mentioned ITC. DId I read that headline wrong or is there another case elsewhere on this issue?

That was a Dutch case.

• Reply 10 of 63
    maltamalta Posts: 78member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

'cept for juries.   ;)

Except when the jury makes a ruling on a patent that is being invalidated by the USPTO. Other than that the entire system is "perfect"

• Reply 11 of 63

^ There's two things I can't stand. Racists and the Dutch. :)

• Reply 12 of 63
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

What a shame, coming after Samsung said they didn't.

• Reply 13 of 63
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malta View Post

Except when the jury makes a ruling on a patent that is being invalidated by the USPTO. Other than that the entire system is "perfect"

Except when the invalidated patent was invalidated by another Apple patent.

• Reply 14 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

• Reply 15 of 63

Samesung. Be a shame. image

• Reply 16 of 63
    Good news :)
  • Reply 17 of 63

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That image actually made me feel bad for Nokia. 

Then I got over it.

• Reply 18 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That image actually made me feel bad for Nokia. 

I agree. Nokia is a very ethical company. I wish I could buy something from them.

• Reply 19 of 63

Originally Posted by MiddleGuy View Post

I wish I could buy something from them.

I wish they sold something I'd want to buy.

• Reply 20 of 63
    the more I read into this the more I think a lot of people think apples patents are broader then they are. One example is peoples complaints about why did apple patent a rectangle. Apples patents specifically state the outside parts of the phone are not whats patented. Its the front face parts that are.

Also its not exactly multitouch that's patented by apple but the mobile capacitive screen they use and how the gestures are detected on that screen. The more I read into it I think Samsung didn't try to hard. To me it seems very easy to make a device that does not infringe on apples patents.