Apple posts highly-detailed drawings of iPad mini, 4th-gen iPad to website

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Coming on the heels of an avalanche of product announcements, Apple on Wednesday posted detailed dimensional drawings of the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad to its developer website to assist third-party case makers in developing new products.

iPad mini Drawing
iPad mini with Wi-Fi and Cellular dimensional drawing. (Click to enlarge) | Source: Apple

First discovered by intrepid AppleInsider reader "Magnus Hanso," Apple has posted detailed schematics for its new range of iPad products to its developer website, just as it did for the iPhone 5 in September.

While the drawings don't offer much in the way of new information, it does give the closest look yet at the as-yet-unreleased tablets.

Apple announced the 7.9-inch iPad mini and revised fourth-generation iPad at a special event on Tuesday, which also saw the debut of the highly-anticipated 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display and redesigned iMac.

Preorders for the new iPads start on Oct. 26, with shipments of Wi-Fi only models expected to arrive on Nov. 2, followed by "Wi-Fi + Cellular" versions in mid-November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

Fascinating. I had no idea all of these CAD drawings were available on their site.

• Reply 2 of 14
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Good info for the Chinese cloners image

• Reply 3 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Good info for the Chinese cloners image

They would know all about this anyway since Apple products are manufactured in China.

• Reply 4 of 14
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    samsung have requested for better copies of the drawing please..
  • Reply 5 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcasey View Post

samsung have requested for better copies of the drawing please..

Its not better copies, they requested the fine print under the Apple Inc. in right hand corner to be removed, since impacts on their R&D program.

• Reply 6 of 14

deleted

• Reply 7 of 14
    I'm still surprised at how Apple nailed the bezel levels on the sides. These CAD drawings only make me wonder even more.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Next week Scamsung will have its event at Seoul Theatre introducing the next Galaxy Tab mini which will be the exact copy of the iPad mini, the only different is the cheap plastic with crappy OS for all the cheapskates who think $329 is too much to ask from their parents since they already live in the basement for free.
  • Reply 9 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpadhiyar View Post

I'm still surprised at how Apple nailed the bezel levels on the sides. These CAD drawings only make me wonder even more.

Nailed? What do you mean?

• Reply 10 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Fascinating. I had no idea all of these CAD drawings were available on their site.

What's fascinating to me is how some case makers gamble on dimensions and start producing cases before these drawings are available (or even before a product is officially announced).

• Reply 11 of 14
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I'm surprised AI published this article as if they weren't aware these existing. CAD drawings have been available for a long time (41 and counting). Each time a new iOS product is released, Apple releases CAD drawings for case vendors. This is the only way third-party case vendors will be able to deliver accurate cases. Apple depends on many third-party vendors for accessories so they have a vested interest in making sure those vendors produces good quality products.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rob53 wrote: »
    I'm surprised AI published this article as if they weren't aware these existing. CAD drawings have been available for a long time (41 and counting). Each time a new iOS product is released, Apple releases CAD drawings for case vendors. This is the only way third-party case vendors will be able to deliver accurate cases. Apple depends on many third-party vendors for accessories so they have a vested interest in making sure those vendors produces good quality products.

41 what and counting? Does this mean case makers have kept the details undercover (for how long?) without leaks?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    flaneur wrote: »
    rob53 wrote: »

41 what and counting? Does this mean case makers have kept the details undercover (for how long?) without leaks?

No, case makers get the drawings after Apple releases said product. The 41 and counting could mean this is the 41st CAD drawing for their 'pocketable' items (iPodPadPhone).
  • Reply 14 of 14

You provide such a great information about it.. keep going on ..

http://www.mrpweb.co.uk