Apple obtains Beatles' Granny Smith trademark for Apple Corps

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is now the owner of the logo for Apple Corps, the holding company and owner of the record company for legendary band The Beatles.

Apple

Apple obtained the trademark after winning an attempt to block the transfer by a company named Apple Box Productions Sub Inc. The registered trademark was transferred to the iPhone maker this week.

The logo for Apple Corps Ltd. is a Granny Smith green apple that, unlike Apple's silhouette logo, does not have a bite taken out of the fruit. Transfer of the trademark was first discovered on Thursday by Patently Apple.

Apple Corps was founded in 1968 by the members of the Beatles. Its chief division is Apple Records.

Apple first applied for ownership of the Granny Smith logo in March of 2011. The transfer was part of a 2007 legal settlement between Apple and Apple Corps, which resolved a long-standing dispute over ownership of the "Apple" trademark.

In the settlement, Apple was granted all related trademarks, but it is required to license certain trademarks back to Apple Corps. Apple's ownership of the Granny Smith trademark is simply a tying up of loose ends, and the logo now extends to "computer hardware, online social networking services, mobile phones," and other categories.

The resolution of the legal dispute between Apple and Apple Corps paved the way for the arrival of The Beatles' catalog on Apple's iTunes Music Store, though it took more than three years to happen. iTunes began carrying the band's music in November of 2010, with first week sales reaching 450,000 albums and 2 million songs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52

There are so many other varieties of apples to choose. I don't want the multitouch successor to the Macintosh line called "Granny Smith". image

"Yeah, I just got the new iGran."

"That's tart, bro. Real tart."

Let's see here, Rambo, that's taken, Empire, bad connotation, Gravestein, sounds like the lineup is dead, Discovery, they'll be sued by a TV channel, Jonathan, it'll go to someone's head… 

I have it, the Pippin!

Wait… 

• Reply 2 of 52
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    This is far too late. The only one that cared about this was Steve Jobs anyway. No way Apple will be replacing their logo with the old Apple corps logo.

How many folks are even alive that remember buying the records or know what the label was? It would have been cool if they could have settled it in the 90's or early 2,000's to use this for some of the music related things but it's too late now.
  • Reply 3 of 52

Honeycrisp might work, if they go back to PowerPc chips and do a combination Macpro/easy bake oven.

• Reply 4 of 52
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    The dispute was idiotic from the beginning - glad we can scratch that off from any future non-sense.
  • Reply 5 of 52

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Honeycrisp might work, if they go back to PowerPc chips and do a combination Macpro/easy bake oven.

I was thinking the same thing. And Honeycrisp are really good; I've a bowl of them here right now.

• Reply 6 of 52

Now that's sorted Apple can go after the bible apple references.

• Reply 7 of 52
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I used to eat Granny Smith apples when I was a kid. Quite a sharp bite. The rest of my family didn't like them.

Here is the old lady herself

http://www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/About+Ryde/Historic+Ryde/Historic+Figures/Granny+Smith

• Reply 8 of 52
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I was thinking more like a special edition computer, designed by Ive, covered in gold leaf and called "Jon O'Gold."  

• Reply 9 of 52
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Yes, the Adam and Eve story is a blatant Apple rip off.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

Speaking of music, where's that promised iTunes update that was promised at the end of October. /stopslookingatcalendar 

• Reply 11 of 52

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Speaking of music, where's that promised iTunes update that was promised at the end of October.

Well, it's not yet the end of October.

Unless 00:00:01, November 1, 2012 hits and we don't see iTunes for download, they're keeping to their schedule.

• Reply 12 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by xgman View Post

Yes, the Adam and Eve story is a blatant Apple rip off.

certainly a blatant rip off - but not so much from Apple Inc.

iCrab Apple anyone?

• Reply 13 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Would be hilarious if changed the logo on all their products, marketing and stores to this.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This is far too late. The only one that cared about this was Steve Jobs anyway. No way Apple will be replacing their logo with the old Apple corps logo.

You don't get it.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    There was a long ago conflict between the Apple record label and Apple Computer over the "similar" apple logos.

Apple Computer agreed never to sell music!
  • Reply 16 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Now that's sorted Apple can go after the bible apple references.

There are no references to apples in the Bible. Apples were unknown in the Levant during the time in which most of it was written.

• Reply 17 of 52

I hear they're remaking "I want to hold your hand" to a more current "I want to hold my iPad."  This is just rumor, of course.

• Reply 18 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

certainly a blatant rip off - but not so much from Apple Inc.

You beat me to that one.

• Reply 19 of 52
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, it's not yet the end of October.

Unless 00:00:01, November 1, 2012 hits and we don't see iTunes for download, they're keeping to their schedule.

Dammit, these people are really pissing me off. How DARE they delay taking my money. First I gotta wait to Friday to order a iPad mini (what, you couldn't just take my money right away Tim? Really?) And now, I gotta wait MORE for a new iTunes that surely will have nots of stuff I didn't know existed, and now I can't live without? Oh, how the mighty apple has fallen! Apple - you *suck*.

• Reply 20 of 52

Can anyone say what this would be worth long term???