Apple obtains Beatles' Granny Smith trademark for Apple Corps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And Honeycrisp are really good.

Uh uh..... image nothing beats Pink Lady.

• Reply 22 of 52
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member

The next generation Apple product will be based on another Scottished named apple (Braeburn) the iBrae. Then maybe later they'll come out with that small, always on, always worn, ultimate mobile device -your constant companion - the iBro.

• Reply 23 of 52

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmm. Haven't had one of those in a while. Maybe in a non-drought year when apples aren't over SIX BUCKS A BAG.

I subconsciously typed "Apple's" up there. This company, I tell you… ????

• Reply 24 of 52

Weren't there two similar logos related to Apple Corps?  I remember on vinyl that one side had the granny smith apple and the other side had a cross section of the same apple.

• Reply 25 of 52
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

The next generation Apple product will be based on another Scottished named apple (Braeburn) the iBrae. Then maybe later they'll come out with that small, always on, always worn, ultimate mobile device -your constant companion - the iBro.

Was wondering when someone would comment on the next iPad being a tad bigger than the original. This is obviously the Maxi iPad. Comes in white only, wings optional.

Ok, that was cheap. Sorry. 

• Reply 26 of 52

Dude, you are so wrong. Honeycrisp. Period.

• Reply 27 of 52

All this Apple lore and not one mention of sosume...

• Reply 28 of 52

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

All this Apple lore and not one mention of sosume...

EEP! WACK! MOOF!

• Reply 29 of 52
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalaruza View Post

Can anyone say what this would be worth long term???

The dispute over the Name and Logo was about trade confusion. Apple Successfully argue way back their would be no confusion between Music and computer so they won the right to use the name and logo of the Apple in the computer and electronic industry. However, Apple Corp lawyers were smart enough not to allow Apple computer to use the name and Logo as it related to anything other than computers and electronics. They limited Apple computers scope of use. Yeah Job knew in his mind that music would come to computer, the question is did the beatles know that as well.

Now that Apple owns everything, they can market and use the Logo in any way they like in any industry they like, expect maybe travel since Apple Travel is well know too and was around for a long time. I wonder if Apple Corp and Apple Computer have gone around with Apple Travel.

This is important since it the same as Coke or Pepsi. When you think of those names you know exactly what it means to you. With Apple everyone will relate all thing back Apple Computer (less the computer name). This all come to a head when Apple in fact dropped computer from the name, 

• Reply 30 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

How many folks are even alive that remember buying the records or know what the label was?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

More than you think. And the Apple Corps logo is all over iTunes. Seen and bought by millions.

Bravo Steve, for getting The Beatles in house, before you passed. Bravo.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 31 of 52
    The Apple Inc. logo is actually an apple with a dent in it. This is where the apple hit Newton in the head. It's not a bite. It looks like a bite, but it's a dent. The Apple with a dent signifies when Newton was "struck" with inspiration.

Let the petty relies to this post begin!
  • Reply 32 of 52
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is far too late. The only one that cared about this was Steve Jobs anyway. No way Apple will be replacing their logo with the old Apple corps logo.

How many folks are even alive that remember buying the records or know what the label was? It would have been cool if they could have settled it in the 90's or early 2,000's to use this for some of the music related things but it's too late now.

Actually, the only one who cared about this was Apple Corps Ltd. (corporate owner of the Beatles' "Apple Records" record label) and, specifically, the late Mr. Neil Aspinall.  I've read that he took the Apple Corp lawsuits with (the then) Apple Computer personally.  The Beatles only appeared on iTunes after Aspinall turned over the reins of Apple Corps to former Sony VP Jeff Jones in 2007.

This Granny Smith logo transition is just a housekeeping measure, cleaning up a legal loose-end from the last lawsuit.  Apple Inc now officially owns it, but exclusively licenses it back to Apple Corps Ltd.

• Reply 33 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigmamatic View Post

The Apple Inc. logo is actually an apple with a dent in it. This is where the apple hit Newton in the head. It's not a bite. It looks like a bite, but it's a dent. The Apple with a dent signifies when Newton was "struck" with inspiration.

Not that his is important in any way, but what I'd heard back in 85 was that it was a bite, and that it implied taking a bite of fruit from the tree of knowledge. It also suggests byte. 

I'm curious, what do you think Tom or Richard will say?

• Reply 34 of 52
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Let's see here, Rambo, that's taken, Empire, bad connotation, Gravestein, sounds like the lineup is dead, Discovery, they'll be sued by a TV channel, Jonathan, it'll go to someone's head… 

Fuji.  Apple could buy Fuji Television (Japan) so they could cover the Fuji apple trademark space.

Or not.

• Reply 35 of 52
    I was thinking the same thing. And Honeycrisp are really good; I've a bowl of them here right now.
    I'm very jealous, the local megamart was out of them today.
    I'm sure nearly every one on this board can understand feeling Jazzed over an apple.
  • Reply 36 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Galas are my favorite

• Reply 37 of 52
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Galas are my favorite

Macouns are awesome in upstate NY this year.

• Reply 38 of 52

Originally Posted by Enigmamatic View Post

Therefore what's the purpose of any of the words in your post?

• Reply 39 of 52
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Weren't there two similar logos related to Apple Corps?  I remember on vinyl that one side had the granny smith apple and the other side had a cross section of the same apple.

Well, my original vinyl of the White Album and Yellow Submarine, for instance, are that way...Let It Be sort f is except the apple peel side is a red skin...didn't bother to pull out any others.

If we are still looking for varieties, I would suggest "russet'...but 'someone' would probably try to rustle it...

• Reply 40 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This is far too late. The only one that cared about this was Steve Jobs anyway. No way Apple will be replacing their logo with the old Apple corps logo.
    How many folks are even alive that remember buying the records or know what the label was? It would have been cool if they could have settled it in the 90's or early 2,000's to use this for some of the music related things but it's too late now.

It wasn't available back then, now it's just so no one else buys the rights to it.