Codec Pack for Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    I've been downloading tv shows through torrents, and some of them I get the video fine, but no sound. Any idea what codec I'd need to fix this? I can through the video on my jump drive and

watch it on my tv through my dvd recorder or even on my pc which has a codec pack on it fine

Thanks
  • Reply 22 of 38
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jerideout View Post

I've been downloading tv shows through torrents, and some of them I get the video fine, but no sound. Any idea what codec I'd need to fix this? I can through the video on my jump drive and

watch it on my tv through my dvd recorder or even on my pc which has a codec pack on it fine

Thanks

You give absolutely no information about your OS, version of QuickTime, or which codecs you have installed. In the immortal words of Tom Cruise: "Help me help you."

You should have read the recommendation to install Perian. I will also recommend that you install Flip4Mac. Also, installing DivX won't hurt. If your TV shows are Windows Media 10 or Windows Media 11, however, then nothing on the Mac will play them.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Thanks to those suggesting Perian. I had already had an older version. The newer version worked perfectly. I now have both audio and video for AVI files in Quicktime.

ddamico361
  • Reply 24 of 38
    soffprosoffpro Posts: 3member
    by Perian's own admission on the download page (or i may have read it in CNET) the video compression quality may suffer in comparison to other codecs. anyone know if they have updated yet, for OSX 10.6.3 snow leopard?

Apple really need to get their act together for former windows users who switch - so much is easily available for windows. took me three weeks research to find a software that'd write DVDmovie format from converted files on above OS.

VLC is good but doesn't play "everything"

pain in the harris that we still have to use different apps for different formats. you with windows too i suppose but come on - this is 21st century and how long have we been converting and editing?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    soffprosoffpro Posts: 3member
    anyone tried it yet???
  • Reply 27 of 38

VLC don't use any system codecs, it have buildin, on any supported OS like Linux, Windows , Mac.

VideoLan Connection programist make codecs only for VLC and placed this codecs in VLC library.

• Reply 28 of 38

VLC don't use any system codecs, it have buildin, on any supported OS like Linux, Windows , Mac.

VideoLan Connection programist make codecs only for VLC and placed this codecs in VLC library.

• Reply 29 of 38

Instead of installing a bunch of confusing codecs, simply use perian, found this great review online if you need convincing: http://appducate.com/2012/12/perian-lets-your-mac-play-most-video-formats/

• Reply 30 of 38

Don't install a bunch of codecs, simply install perian, it takes care of everything in the background.

• Reply 31 of 38

Originally Posted by mark shain View Post

Don't install a bunch of codecs, simply install perian, it takes care of everything in the background.

This thread is from 2006 and Perian is discontinued. I wouldn't recommend it anymore.

• Reply 32 of 38
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

It is true that the newbie necroposted. It is also true that Perian has been discontinued. However, it still works. It is also still available for download on the Perian website. There is no reason to not use it until it no longer works.

• Reply 33 of 38
    This thread is from 2006 and Perian is discontinued. I wouldn't recommend it anymore.

Haha! How is this thread still open!
  • Reply 34 of 38

i beginning for MAC. on windows i have know many codeces, but on MAC i use VLC only ^^

• Reply 35 of 38
    ydk2ydk2 Posts: 3member

I use VLC, mplayer2 binary + mplayer OSX extended, for music ogg/flac/ape I use Vox.

• Reply 36 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Oh, are we posting what we use now?

I use QuickTime, and anything that it doesn't play I use HandBrake to convert into MP4.

I also use iTunes, and anything that iTunes doesn't play I use XLD to convert into something it can (usually just FLAC to ALAC).

• Reply 37 of 38

Conversion causes quality loss. I prefer install Perian (K-Lite Codec for Mac).

• Reply 38 of 38

K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of audio and video codecs that are needed to play various audio and video formats generally not supported by Microsoft operating system itself and its software. Unfortunately, K-Lite Codec Pack only has Windows version and there is not yet a Mac Version. So people who are using Mac OS X or just switch to Mac OS X long to something like K-Lite Code Pack for Mac.

Here I recommend two of them for you:

1. Perian is one stop codec resource on Mac similar to K-Lite Codec Pack on Windows.

2. A useful K-Lite Codec Pack for Mac - Faasoft Video Converter for Mac. This tool supports playing almost all kinds of video and audio files such as AVI, XMV, DivX, Xvid, MKV, FLV, F4V, SWF, MXF, MVI, OGM, WebM, MP4, MPG, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MJPEG, MJPG, H.263, H.264, 720p/1080p AVCHD, MTS, M2TS, M2T, TS, RM, RMVB, MOV, M4V, QT, AAC, AC3, DTS, ALAC, FLAC, WMA, XWM, 3GA, M4A, M4B, MKA, etc on Mac OS X (Yosemite included).

Hope it is what you need.