Online Apple Store closed ahead of iPad mini preorder launch [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's online storefront went down early Friday morning in preparation for what is expected to be a rush of preorders for the iPad mini, the company's first mid-size tablet offering.

Apple Store Down

Update: The Online Apple Store is back up and showing availability for all iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad models.

When the 7.9-inch iPad mini was announced on Tuesday by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller, who announced the device would be available for preorder on Friday in the usual varieties

Instead of the traditional black and white colorways seen on all previous iPads, the iPad mini takes its styling cues from the iPhone 5 with the "Black and Slate" version featuring an anodized black shell, while the "White and Silver" model's casing uses raw aluminum. Each iteration is offered in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB capacities, and customers can choose from Wi-Fi + Cellular or Wi-Fi only connectivity.

Pricing for the iPad mini with Wi-Fi only is set at $329 (US) for the 16GB model, $429 (US) for the 32GB model and $529 (US) for the 64GB model, while the Wi-Fi + Cellular version is $459 (US), $559 (US), $659 (US) for the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB model, respectively. Wi-Fi only models will arrive by Nov. 2 with Wi-Fi + Cellular versions coming some time later.

AppleInsider has compiled a list of trade in options for readers who want to offset the cost of their new tablet by selling their old, unused models. Make sure to check the latest, and best, trade in prices here as tablet values are steadily dropping.

Alongside the iPad mini, the fourth-generation iPad will also be available for order, with the refreshed 9.7-inch tablet getting a faster A6X processor that promises double the performance of its predecessor, FaceTime HD camera and Lightning connection port.

The full-size iPad with Wi-Fi only will cost $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model and $699 (US) for the 64GB model, while the Wi-Fi + 4G LTE U.S carriers for AT&T, Sprint and Verizon will be offered for $629 (US), $729 (US)$829 (US) for 16GB, 32GB and 64GB model, respectively. Just as with the mini, the Wi-Fi only version of the fourth-generation iPad will be in stores on Nov. 2, with Wi-Fi + 4G LTE to follow.

Preorders for both the mini and revamped iPad will go live in 26 countries when Online Apple Store reopens, including US, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

The store is expected to be up and running at 12:01 a.m. Pacific / 3:01 a.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

Well goddammit, will I still be able to order a new Mac?

• Reply 2 of 16
    There is something very meta about asking my old new iPad to remind me to order my new new iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 16

is the 4g model available for preorder or just the wifi model?

• Reply 4 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancxg View Post

is the 4g model available for preorder or just the wifi model?

both.  but the 4G version won't get delivered until November 16th.

• Reply 5 of 16
    Just done with my order. Now is the waiting game :)
  • Reply 6 of 16

Just ordered 3.  Can't wait until next Friday.

• Reply 7 of 16
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancxg View Post

Just ordered 3.  Can't wait until next Friday.

I have been waiting for almost 10 days for 2 iPhone 5s. Now add an iPad mini to that.

• Reply 8 of 16
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Done and Done!

16Gig White & Blue Cover - (I will be using it for books and surfing mainly. I already have an iPad 3. No Retina Display. Me thinks they will be asking for more of my dollars in March.)

• Reply 9 of 16
    Nah, I think they switched the release to Fall from Spring as X-Mas season is the best selling season of the year. Been holding back purchases of the iPad for Spring, looks like this is a thing of the past, good move by Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Yeah but then people will have just spent all their cash trying to get the iPhone and then they have to turn around and buy the new iPad. 

• Reply 11 of 16
    Anyone from Hong Kong see preorders as available?
    It popped back up after store went down but it all says unavailable.
  • Reply 12 of 16

Uh..Oh..! It says ready for shipment in 2 weeks plus 3-7 days shipment. Oh well I hope my iP5 is coming soon to shorten my waiting time. It will be a birthday present from me to myself. image

• Reply 13 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Uh..Oh..! It says ready for shipment in 2 weeks plus 3-7 days shipment. Oh well I hope my iP5 is coming soon to shorten my waiting time. It will be a birthday present from me to myself. image

Happy birthday early while you're waiting!

Ordered mine and at the last minute went with white because the wife might "borrow" it indefinitely; then scripted a letter to Santa asking for another.  image

• Reply 14 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Happy birthday early while you're waiting!

Ordered mine and at the last minute went with white because the wife might "borrow" it indefinitely; then scripted a letter to Santa asking for another.  image

Well thanks! And oh, when I see him, I will tell Santa to give your letter a special consideration. image

• Reply 15 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemacx View Post

Nah, I think they switched the release to Fall from Spring as X-Mas season is the best selling season of the year. Been holding back purchases of the iPad for Spring, looks like this is a thing of the past, good move by Apple.

Don't think it is a shift of time for release as much as how many times a year (problem spring and fall). The analysts(for what their opinion is worth) and some others (more credible) seem to think this will be a trend for the next few releases anyway and it makes some sense.

Those that get upset because they jet bought the last version and now there is a new one -- get used to it. Your device does not become obsolete just because a new one comes out and the price of the previous unit may or may not go down but this is always the way it is going to be with computers (and other consumer electronics).

• Reply 16 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Well thanks! And oh, when I see him, I will tell Santa to give your letter a special consideration. image

Hope Santa got that note quick since the time has already moved out to two weeks on white (before 7'ish AM central) and that to me says there is going to be back log for awhile. Also sounds like it could affect the quarterly sales figures -- although there will undoubtedly be some folks that move back to the full size version if still tight for holidays.