White & silver iPad mini sells out of launch day delivery

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    gchriste wrote: »
    I have been trying to decide all day between white or black. The black kinda looks same ol same ol, whereas the white looks a little fresher. But the black ended up drawing me in, says classic iPad I guess. I am sure I will get buyers remorse and decide I should have gone white :)

I think that's the happy consequence of both products being very good-looking designs. I bought black but might change my mind too.

CultofMac had an interesting article on how to choose. They said the white models are better if you're going to use primarily for reading because the border extends the white page; black's better for editing photos, browsing, etc, because it better frames colored screen content. I'm going to use mine primarily as a GPS in my cars and I think especially there where the sun could be shining in the black would be better. I just wish it were a matte black like the device's back.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

No accounting for taste.  I'd say the opposite, my iPad 3 is white but my iP 5 is black/slate.  I absolutely love both but the slate is just sexy looking (more prone to scratching too, though)

I'd love to buy one of these but with an iPad 2 (kids) and my iPad 3 + my recently purchased iMac, I'd probably be divorced if I bought another Apple product, LOL. I'm laying the groundwork to buy an Air when it upgrades next March/April/Whenever.  I'm sure by then the old Dell I have (kids use it for homework) will need replacing! ;-)

Same boat...but I'll get an iPad 4 for mom I think...my wife will let me get away with that.  And then I can maybe buy HER a mini for XMas.

• Reply 23 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

I'm going to use mine primarily as a GPS in my cars and I think especially there where the sun could be shining in the black would be better. I just wish it were a matte black like the device's back.

Ah...I'd choose the other way to keep my iPad from excessive heat.  Even with the AC blowing full force the dash can get toasty.  It'll reflect more against the windshield though but with the screen on anyway...

• Reply 24 of 82
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Mine said 11/2 when I put it in my cart, but it was changed to "end of November" by the time I finished the check-out. :(
  • Reply 25 of 82

I have never liked white iPhones or iPads.

I have no idea why, but this time, I really think the Mini looks better in white. Any other converts?

Maybe Apple used history as a guide and didn't produce as many White as Black, but this time more people are going for the White.

• Reply 26 of 82
    Ordered mine at 12:10am pst using the iOS apple store, no issues
  • Reply 27 of 82
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Fanbois are buying them. If Jobs was alive, it would have sold out quicker. /s

• Reply 28 of 82

I wonder if the issues with the black iPhone is pushing people to the white model.  Me, I ordered the black 64gb with cellular.  I fear that November is going to be a long month.

• Reply 29 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

I have no idea why, but this time, I really think the Mini looks better in white. Any other converts?

Yes.  The mini I'm going to get later on will be white.  I might change my mind after playing with one at the Apple store but from the pics the white has converted me.  I have the black/slate iPhone 5.

• Reply 30 of 82

it's Apple's fault.

It doesn't matter you sell your product in different colors, customers can strongly be influenced by the images with which you advertise the product.

On Apple's website there are mostly white iPad minis (even the 10" iPads are mostly the white model as well) in the pictures.

Was it intentional? who knows. Perhaps they chose the white because it looked more stunning, on screen.

• Reply 31 of 82
    Sold out already? That was quick. I hope they don't have unexpected production problems

Does anybody know any estimates of how many units Apple produced in advance?

Nope. Apple doesn't give out those numbers.

As for the production problem question, the only problem they have is how many the factories can produce. They don't stockpile for weeks because its a security risk, so there is that limit on launch quanity as well
  • Reply 32 of 82
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

I think the silver edging gives the white iPad's a more premium look.

The black ones look very stealth, understated and less jewelry-like. 

• Reply 33 of 82
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

I have been trying to decide all day between white or black. The black kinda looks same ol same ol, whereas the white looks a little fresher. But the black ended up drawing me in, says classic iPad I guess. I am sure I will get buyers remorse and decide I should have gone white image

The web site says limit 2. Get both. Boom.

• Reply 34 of 82

I am proud owner of new IPad, i pre-ordered for Nov 2nd delivery. :)

• Reply 35 of 82
    Does anybody know any estimates of how many units Apple produced in advance?

I only remember Steve saying they expected 1M for the 1st Gen iPad to be sold - initially.

Apple learns, and I'm sure they created a 10-fold number of mini's this time, in spite of it being a 'new' product. Still, 10M can of course be too little because they sold 44M iOS devices last Q. Yes yes, then 10M for just mini's is way more, but I would not be surprised. (WiFi and cellular models).

Remember the iPod, with it's large capacity 1.8" HDD? They created the iPod mini, and it sold incredibly well. I think it was due to women. This small iPad? Purseable.
    bsenka wrote: »
    Mine said 11/2 when I put it in my cart, but it was changed to "end of November" by the time I finished the check-out. :(

Wow that must've hurt!

I ordered a 64GB iPhone 5 when it became available for order here in The Netherlands on Sep 28. I never cancelled and re-ordered, but my order status tells me that my order has been "Cancelled - replaced by a new product" (Geannuleerd - Vervangen door een nieuw product).

Don't know what to make of it, but the delivery date is unchanged, fortunately.

rtdunham wrote: »
    I'm going to use mine primarily as a GPS in my cars and I think especially there where the sun could be shining in the black would be better. I just wish it were a matte black like the device's back.

You did buy the cellular version for that, did you? Of course you did.
  • Reply 36 of 82

Unusual for white and silver to sell out before black?! Could be that they made many more black units this time?

• Reply 37 of 82
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I'm still seeing 11/2

I ordered 4 minutes after midnight (the website came up at 12:03), and all I got was a "your order is being processed email."  Still no follow up email with a date. 

Apple f*cking over everyone who isn't American again no doubt. 

• Reply 38 of 82
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Unusual for white and silver to sell out before black?! Could be that they made many more black units this time?

It always used to be that they only sold one white product for every three black (when it was iPods), but lately I think white is pulling ahead.  Judging by what I see at work and around town I would say it's almost the reverse now.  White certainly seems the most popular colour for iPhone 4s. 

Also, "scratch-gate" might have something to do with it. 

• Reply 39 of 82

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

"No, people are just terrified that it will scratch. They're learning not to trust Apple at all."

Oh right, quotes can be confusing. But how am I supposed to mock the Anti-Apple Brigade in an easily distinguishable format otherwise? The sarcasm punctuation works really well if you're unfamiliar with it¡ 

• Reply 40 of 82
    3:10am EDT, 32GB White, light grey cover.

No delays, no waiting... got in, got out.

Rolled over... went back to sleep.

Steve inspired it, Tim financed it, Phil introduced it...

Now it's all up to Shenzhen :)