Phil Schiller says Apple does with its Macs what PC makers are 'afraid' to do

Comments

• Reply 61 of 247
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by encino View Post

"Phil Schiller says Apple does with its Macs what PC makers are 'afraid' to do"

Glue the computer's memory to the board making it harder for owners to upgrade their computers themselves?

(a) Apple has had the "computer is an appliance" philosophy since 1984 and the original mac.

(b) I am guessing the percentage of their user base interested in doing it is very, very small, and it's probably much cheaper to solder the ram to the MB.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 62 of 247
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    <span style="font-size:small;line-height:16px;">I have to disagree with him on one front. Although I do not use it all the time I love my blu-ray drive (I use the old PS3 more). Watching movies in HD while I am working is sweet (I prefer blu-ray because they normally have better quality, and are cheaper and trade-able). I do like to burn dvds for my grandmother with my </span>
    <span style="font-size:small;line-height:16px;">niece</span>
    <span style="font-size:small;line-height:16px;"> and nephew. For some many disc drive is two important to trade away like the millions who live in areas with crappy internet connections.</span>

You've proven his point. Imagine the cost and power need of a Blu-ray drive in a MBA. First of all, it's no longer an Air because it's now thicker and heavier. it also can't be $999 for the price of an ultra-slim optical drive for Blu-ray playback. You kludge up the OS for playing back AACS encrypted media. Could you even play an entire movie on a MBA on the battery with the power needs of those spinning drives? Would the experience be good or would it be noisy whirling away as you try to watch a movie or you try to sleep as someone next to you on a flight as their BRD churning?
  • Reply 63 of 247

This is a conversation I've had with people time and again.  Apple pushes forward compared to MS and the pc crowd, who keep themselves locked into a tech, be it good or bad, for what seems like forever because they're afraid to piss off their customers.  Apple has no issue pissing off customers, who get mad and then just buy in and deal with the change.  I'm grateful there is a company like Apple doing this in the tech world.

• Reply 64 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

It looks like the Google/ Samsung 'iPad killer' 10" tablet has been leaked.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/26/3559518/nexus-10-leaked-photos

If this is real - the folks at Apple will be howling with laughter at that POS !

Don't worry Samsung about all those lost orders from Apple for parts.

You'll probably sell . . .hundreds of those nexus 10" beauties image

It looks like a tablet to me. If it has a 2560x1600 screen and is $300 as rumored, then I would bet they sell millions.

• Reply 65 of 247
    encino wrote: »

Glue the computer's memory to the board making it harder for owners to upgrade their computers themselves?

Glue? Yeah, that's what they did in the MBAs and new MBPs... glued them in¡
  • Reply 66 of 247
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Did I miss something? The Nexus 7 uses a quad-core 1.3 GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM and a 1280x800 display. The iPad Mini uses a dual-core 1.0 GHz CPU, 512 MB RAM, and a 1024x768 display. I would hardly call the competition's products as cheap.

Still at the end of the day, I would opt for a fourth-gen iPad over any of these 7" tablets. I currently have the third-gen iPad. I already have an iPhone which suffices for a small eReader on the go.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

The good news is that your vision is way above average. The bad news is that it is not going to stay that way if you read books on your iPhone.

• Reply 67 of 247
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So it's fail proof?

Probably far more "fail proof" than what was in them before. 

• Reply 68 of 247
    This doesn't explain the Mac Pro. Sure you can do a lot of things with 7" screens, but for some reason back in 1988 Apple saw the wisdom of making computers that could handle more screen size. Now all of a sudden Apple thinks a modern computer should not allow more than two screens? Good grief, all they have to do is put USB and thunderbolt in the Mac Pro and problem solved. Sure, go ahead, do something different, who cares what, but do something! What rationale could there be for abandoning the market for multiple screen flexible setups altogether?

Nobody is going to buy a computer these days without thunderbolt or USB3, certainly not a Mac Pro. What are they thinking?
  • Reply 69 of 247
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

The good news is that your vision is way above average. The bad news is that it is not going to stay that way if you read books on your iPhone.

I wear glasses and have worn them for the past 20 years, actually. I would hardly call my vision above average.

I said "on the go" pertaining to using my iPhone as an eReader. I use my iPad for reading while at home or work.

• Reply 70 of 247
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Did I miss something? The Nexus 7 uses a quad-core 1.3 GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM and a 1280x800 display. The iPad Mini uses a dual-core 1.0 GHz CPU, 512 MB RAM, and a 1024x768 display. I would hardly call the competition's products as cheap.

It's cheap, because of the inferior build quality and materials.

You are also getting fooled by some of the paper specs, which is a common mistake that some people are guilty of.

The iPad Mini has a superior display to both the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire.

Apple can make up some points by simply having higher image quality and more accurate colors, which is an area of concern with the Nexus 7 and Kindle. Both tend to look a little washed out, and the Nexus 7 suffers from some image ghosting.

Also, a 4:3 display is superior to a 16:9 display on a tablet for most uses. That is another win for the iPad Mini. 16:9 tablets in portrait are a joke. Also, Android requires higher resources to run, because of it's inferior OS. 

• Reply 71 of 247
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by encino View Post

And once again, why should Apple support the very, very small percentage of people that crack open their machines to upgrade them when most will NEVER do that?  Please enlighten us folks that are not gifted with your wise wisdom.

Note for you:  No matter what you say to support your belief, you already lost this discussion.

• Reply 72 of 247
    sflocal wrote: »

And once again, why should Apple support the very, very small percentage of people that crack open their machines to upgrade them when most will NEVER do that?

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 73 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I wonder if the new Mac Pro will be a smaller box with zero room for HHDs (so, SSD only), no optical drives, just two PCI slots (for two GPUs), a couple of Xeons, and RAM. 

People who need HHDs can buy an external box that connects with Thunderbolt. 

I don't think Apple will be "too afraid" to do something like that. I'm picturing a tall Mac mini style box.

• Reply 74 of 247
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

As much as some people may disagree, Phil is right.  Other companies are afraid to drop legacy devices.

Apple doesn't care about the 10% that might use a feature.  They design for the 90%.

• Reply 75 of 247
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It may not be 99%, but he's 100% correct. The overwhelming majority does not want it or have a need for it anymore.

It is extremely selfish and egotistical for people to demand that an outdated and obsolete feature be included. If you want it, then go external. 

Wow, 99%, 100%, selfish, egotistical, outdated and obsolete - I can't argue with that.

• Reply 76 of 247
    lmgslmgs Posts: 63member
    Nothing beats a Blu-ray for video and audio quality.. There are Mac compatible Blu-ray drives out there, and I do know some Mac users who rip them to MKV to stream to their TVs... Nothing on iTunes comes close to the quality of Blu-ray, and as much as Apple wants to ween people from discs, to iTunes, that is never going to happen... Normal people can't afford the bandwidth to stream high quality video, even if it was available.. I'm not against progress, but dropping optical drives, at this point isn't progress.. Dropping the floppy on the first iMac, was OK, because it had a CD drive, that was the future.. The only future with an iMac with no optical drive, is a trip to the store to buy an external optical drive...
  • Reply 77 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonshf View Post

I don't think Apple will be "too afraid" to do something like that. I'm picturing a tall Mac mini style box.

One more thing, Steve (he opens it up at 4:40, pure classic Apple magic):

• Reply 78 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMGS View Post

Nothing beats a Blu-ray for video and audio quality.. There are Mac compatible Blu-ray drives out there, and I do know some Mac users who rip them to MKV to stream to their TVs... Nothing on iTunes comes close to the quality of Blu-ray, and as much as Apple wants to ween people from discs, to iTunes, that is never going to happen... Normal people can't afford the bandwidth to stream high quality video, even if it was available.. I'm not against progress, but dropping optical drives, at this point isn't progress.. Dropping the floppy on the first iMac, was OK, because it had a CD drive, that was the future.. The only future with an iMac with no optical drive, is a trip to the store to buy an external optical drive...

Stay strong, bro. Resist progress. Fight the future. Someday, 2007 might come back into style.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/mkkh6o/no-place-like-the-video-store

• Reply 79 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMGS View Post

Normal people can't afford the bandwidth to stream high quality video, even if it was available..

For most normal people, something like Netflix HD is good enough quality, and net streaming is always improving in quality.

Maybe some people only choose to watch physical Blu-Ray discs, but that's not "normal", as that is a small niche market.

• Reply 80 of 247

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Stay strong, bro. Resist progress. Fight the future. Someday, 2007 might come back into style.

I still have 10-15 old VHS cassettes in a drawer somewhere, and I'll be damned if that new iMac doesn't include a slot for my VHS cassette. Apple is really losing it's touch. Steve Jobs would never have done this. No wonder AAPL is down $100 from it's high.