Microsoft exec promotes value of Windows 8 PCs, calls iPad mini a $329 'recreational tablet'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 209
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    And he looks like Dr. Evil. Maybe these new MS tablets should attached to sharks with laser beams.

Dr Evil?

Or Mini-Me? ;-)
  • Reply 22 of 209
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Windows 8 is a recreational OS. Frankly, the Metro-inspired setup hinders productivity. I use two programs in Windows, I dumped that Windows 8 shit for Windows 7, in Parallels of course.

If it weren't for iPad, Windows 8 would be something very different.

I'm shocked, you use Windows and not Mac OS X?

edit - ok, I see, you only use two programs in Windows. 

• Reply 23 of 209
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

Apple should release a lighter (400 to 600 g) and smaller Mac (pocketable) with whatever form factor. Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations created on Mac.

• Reply 24 of 209

And is Microsoft implying that Windows 8 is targeted towards business users? Because the clown like, fisher price tiles looks like it's made for toddlers.

I don't see many businesses upgrading to Windows 8. Businesses that already use Windows will just stick with XP or 7. And Windows users are not exactly on the cutting edge, Touch Screens is a concept that is foreign to most of them.

• Reply 25 of 209
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    gtr wrote: »
    LOL!
    Of course!

Yeah, it's kind of sad, but I do like having two systems on my computer, a 2011 iMac I bought early Summer.
  • Reply 26 of 209

Quote:

Yeah, it would be Windows 7 Service Pack 2.

• Reply 27 of 209
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Microsoft was beating the crowd back with sticks in Century City!

Honestly, there were at least 3 sales clerks for every Lookie Lou... Another bomb from Redmond!

• Reply 28 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

I see, Windows RT = PC, iPad = recreational tablet. Is this due to it being Windows or having a version of Office or something else?

It's the NEON PINK AND CYAN keyboard cover. It just SCREAMS productivity.

• Reply 29 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's the NEON PINK AND CYAN keyboard cover. It just SCREAMS productivity.

You are forgetting about the huge, untapped market of colorblind businessmen.

• Reply 30 of 209
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Hey Ballmer, I've got news for you. Go ask Korean Telecom, GE, CIsco, IBM, AIrForce, several hospitals, several airlines, big school districts, large universities, large retail chains, professionals in various industries, several banks, etc. why they are buying iPads by the tens of thousands and they AREN'T buying Windows tablets.

And isn't Ballmer the same person that was putting down the iPhone and iPod when they came out? We all know where WIndows devices are. Non-existent.
  • Reply 31 of 209
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

PCs represent a great value when compared to "recreational tablets," alluding to Apple's new iPad mini.

Steven Sinofsky

Microsoft President of Windows and Windows Live Steven Sinofsky at the Windows 8 event on Thursday. | Source: Microsoft

The iPad mini: It just works.

The Surface: It just locks up.

• Reply 32 of 209
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    gtr wrote: »
    LOL!
    Of course!

Yeah, it's kind of sad, but I do like having two systems on my computer. It was surreal for a while though.

apple wrote: »
    I'm shocked, you use Windows and not Mac OS X?

edit - ok, I see, you only use two programs in Windows. 

My home computer(s) have been Mac since the original mini. My work desktop was Windows because of a few key programs. There are four Windows programs I still need to use, now that I think of it. I think that number will diminish over time.
  • Reply 33 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

And isn't Ballmer the same person that was putting down the iPhone and iPod when they came out? We all know where WIndows devices are. Non-existent.

Don't forget that Microsoft even held an actual funeral for the iPhone!

• Reply 34 of 209

• Battery life that wont make through an 8 hour work cycle

• Slowwwwwww Processor

• A keyboard that doubles as a handi-wipe

• Useful Apps that hasn't materialized yet

• An operating system needs major service packs

What a bunch of ****.

• Reply 35 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Anyone who says they got an iPad or a Surface, or a Nexus purely for productive purposes is insane... or lying.

Anyone that says they 'got' any modern computer, desktop, notebook or whatever PURELY for productive purposes is also either of the above. Even if you just read the news

• Reply 36 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

The iPad mini: It just works.

The Surface: It just locks up.

The gif version 

• Reply 37 of 209
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    slurpy wrote: »
    The fact that you're butthurt that Apple hasn't updated the Mac Pro or something doesnt make all companies who have deployed iOS (90% of Fortune 500 companies) idiots. What a childish sentiment. Oh wait, you're the guy that just obsessively bitches about no matte screens for the iMac and therefore despises everything else about Apple. Continue on your useless, irrelevant crusade. 

Be nice! He is also busy rejecting proposals based on the font used.

He clearly has no clue....
  • Reply 38 of 209

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Yeah, probably by the same idiot Executive we run into that do not understan the concept of a corporate Implementation manuel - and corporate fonts. 

half my day is spent now rejecting presentations made on mickey mouse tablet apps with random font selection - we at least get a decent laugh when we open them.

everything of value is still produced on a real OS - either OSX or Windows.

Remind me not to work for you either. Everything of value, indeed...

• Reply 39 of 209
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Windows 8 is a recreational OS. Frankly, the Metro-inspired setup hinders productivity. I use two programs in Windows, I dumped that Windows 8 shit for Windows 7, in Parallels of course.

I find it interesting that everyone was complaining that on the iPad you have to leave the app and go to the home screen to switch apps. Now, in Windows 8 (All versions) you have to switch to the FULL screen Start screen to start another app. No one is complaining.

• Reply 40 of 209
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    He's pitching the Surface for executive tablets? Jeez. Like that's a big enough market for them. I think a lot of executives would rather use a MacBookAIr instead. They want a real keyboard with some real I/O and a real keyboard.