Apple's iPhone 5 to launch in India, Greece, Mexico, more on Nov. 2

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's quick global rollout of the iPhone 5 is set to continue in a week, when it will debut in India, Greece, Mexico and a number of other countries.

Word of the iPhone 5 launch in India was first reported by The Economic Times on Friday. The iPhone 5 was originally set to launch in India today, but its debut was reportedly pushed back one week.

The publication also revealed that Apple started billing content through iTunes and the App Store in the Indian rupee currency. Previously, the billing was done in U.S. dollars.

The change is expected to be a benefit for developers in India, as users will be more likely to download content from the App Store in their native currency.

iPhone 5

A number of other countries are also expected to gain access to the iPhone 5 on Nov. 2, according to a series of reports dug up by MacRumors. Other countries set to gain Apple's latest handset are Mexico, Greece, the Dominican Republic, Thailand, Bulgaria, Croatia, Malta, and Romania.

The iPhone 5 has had the fastest rollout of any Apple product in the company's history. Most significantly, it is expected to debut in China in December.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I wouldn't expect too many to get sold in greece, but then again the EU has offered them more bailout money.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymccrae View Post

I wouldn't expect too many to get sold in greece, but then again the EU has offered them more bailout money.

Yep, as much as I like Apple, I predict that Android phones are getting pretty popular in Greece.image

• Reply 3 of 22
    I don't know how well this iPhone will sell in Greece but all the previous models are quite popular here.
    If the prices that have leaked are to be trusted though I highly doubt it.
    Without contract they say that the price will be like this:
    16GB: 739 euros | 32GB: 859euros | 64GB:979 euro

I don't think these will be the final prices. I'm guessing 100euro cheaper for all models. Still expensive but at least not as expensive as the prices above.

I always laugh when I hear US customers complain about product prices. You should come to Europe to feel what expensive really is. Especially UK!
  • Reply 4 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimitris View Post

I always laugh when I hear US customers complain about product prices. You should come to Europe to feel what expensive really is. Especially UK!

Keep in mind though, that US prices are without any taxes included.

So, if somebody in the US buys an iPad for $500, they have to pay tax in addition to that price, which varies by state. In my state it's almost 9%.

• Reply 5 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Keep in mind though, that US prices are without any taxes included.

So, if somebody in the US buys an iPad for $500, they have to pay tax in addition to that price, which varies by state. In my state it's almost 9%.

It's still considerably cheaper in the US. I'm from the UK but buy all my Apple products in the US, and all my clothes and everything else for that matter .

• Reply 6 of 22
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Euro vs. US Dollar:
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/15213/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

If this trend continues, US products are going to get even more expensive in EU countries. Buy now.
  • Reply 7 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

It's still considerably cheaper in the US. I'm from the UK but buy all my Apple products in the US, and all my clothes and everything else for that matter .

I don't disagree. I was over in Europe this summer, and yeah, certain things were pretty expensive.

• Reply 8 of 22
    The VAT in Greece is 23%. That's a lot! And on top of that for some reason stores tend to equate the original US price to the euro price! So if something costs 500$ dollars it costs here 500€. Which is very far from the true currency. Especially a few months back.
    Anyway I'm not whining I just want to give you a clearer picture on what's happening in Europe.
    When I was in the UK the VAT was also quite high. 17.5% if I remember correctly.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Its increased from 17.5 to 20% vat now! They're murdering us brits:no:!
  • Reply 10 of 22

Quote:

Not to be rude, but I can't say I laugh when I hear someone from the UK complaining about product prices. While it is true that the UK has higher prices, I think Europe also has bigger paychecks, don't you?

Now compare that to countries like India, Greece and Mexico, where a luxury item REALLY IS a luxury item. :)

• Reply 11 of 22
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member
    Quote:

I don't know how well this iPhone will sell in Greece but all the previous models are quite popular here.

I don't think these will be the final prices. I'm guessing 100euro cheaper for all models. Still expensive but at least not as expensive as the prices above.

UK is dirt cheap! You should Vodafone offer in Romania. In UK Vodafone has iPhone 5 16Gb for FREE with a 58 Euro plan. In Romania, Vodafone has iPhone 5 16Gb at 299 Euro with a 59 Euro plan. They can wait 1000 years before I will pay 299 Euro for a 16Gb iPhone 5.
  • Reply 12 of 22

These US customers are not Apple customers, they don't pay for quality

• Reply 13 of 22

I can see why Apple do not open a store in India, since there so much bureaucratic 'dark holes' to navigate and then the % share in India, so small. If my calculations are right, 165,000 Apple phones were sold in first six months of 2012. 102.5 million mobile phones were imported with 5,500,000 being smartphones. see link http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/hardware/over-10-crore-mobile-phones-shipped-to-india-in-january-june-report/articleshow/16990576.cms

I wonder what would be the situation, If Apple competed with Samsung S III or Glaxay Note II in terms of pricing. In India iPhone 5 will start at INR45,500 (USD$850) 16Gb, INR 52500 (USD$980) 32Gb and whopping INR59,500 (USD$1,111). http://www.firstpost.com/tech/iphone-5-out-on-2-nov-in-india-starting-price-rs-45500-only-504931.html The price of Samsung phones are SIII INR 32457 (USD$606) online price http://mobiles.pricedekho.com/mobiles/samsung/galaxy-s-iii-i9300-price-p4Rg4.html and Samsung Galaxy Note II INR 36999 (USD$691) http://www.mysmartprice.com/mobile/samsung-galaxy-note-2-msp1846

My wife has Samsung S III and except for crap materials in terms of plastic back cover, it is a pretty nice phone. Not sure why Apple does not take an example of pharmaceutical companies and price accordingly, lower price for higher sales volumes. Maybe Apple are taking luxury goods approach, in that Apple is luxury goods and only exclusive clientele will purchase, but my issue with that, look how many middle class Americans can afford the Apple phone, but this is not comparable in India's middle class tier.

I think a price drop to compete with Samsung/Blackberry would be good in India and not one price fits all. 

The iPad and now mini iPad will be bigger sellers than the iPhone, since quantity of features, you get seems more in their eyes than the phone.

I will be getting iPhone 5 on 2 November, but I am trading in iPhone 4S and the cost will be about 40-50% less (32Gb model swap).

• Reply 14 of 22

you want expensive? https://www.vodafone.com.mt/iphone516GB

it's €729 versus €650 that was the iphone 4s's price before the introduction of the 5. The vat rate here is 18%... i made a quick comparison between Eire, Italy, the UK and Malta. Eire has the cheapest iPhone before tax, Malta the most expensive. Will try a more comprehensive comparison between eu countries if i have time...

• Reply 15 of 22
    dimitris wrote: »

I don't think that'll change: it's similar to Italy.
    nelsonx wrote: »
    UK is dirt cheap! You should Vodafone offer in Romania. In UK Vodafone has iPhone 5 16Gb for FREE with a 58 Euro plan. In Romania, Vodafone has iPhone 5 16Gb at 299 Euro with a 59 Euro plan. They can wait 1000 years before I will pay 299 Euro for a 16Gb iPhone 5.

Can't you simply buy one from Apple, unlocked? That's the cheapest way to get a phone.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Darn Mexicans...

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/11/01/mexican.ifone.registered.trade.name.four.years.before.apple/

Apple has lost an injunction bid that would have allowed it to continue selling iPhone-branded products in Mexico. A court in Mexico City handed down a ruling last Thursday denying Apple's injunction request on the grounds that the iPhone brand is too phonetically similar to iFone, a brand belonging to a Mexican company that registered its name four years prior to Apple's filing for the iPhone brand mark. The decision stems from a legal action that Apple initially filed in 2009 requesting that the company cease using the iFone brand in order to head off the possibility of consumer confusion.

The decision could have a considerable impact on the Mexican smartphone market. Telcel and Movistar, numbers one and two among Mexican carriers, are scheduled to begin selling the iPhone5 on Friday. It is not certain how quickly the sales ban will go into effect or if the two companies will come to some sort of financial settlement.

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/11/01/mexican.ifone.registered.trade.name.four.years.before.apple/#ixzz2B5791K00

• Reply 18 of 22

To buy Apple's iPhone 5 in cheapest price by online shopping go to http://pricegenie.in

• Reply 19 of 22

very glad to know  iPhone now in india

• Reply 20 of 22

To find cheapest price of iPhone 5 of famous online shopping sites go to http://pricegenie.in