Evernote 5 for Mac to offer revamped OS X style UI, new features

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Evernote, one of the first companies to offer a comprehensive cloud-based note-taking app for iOS and OS X, on Friday teased the upcoming launch of its redesigned Mac client which will add a number of user interface and operational changes.

In a post to its What's New webpage, Evernote announced its upcoming Evernote 5 for Mac software will bring over 100 new features to the popular app, including powerful new search tools, iOS-like "Cards View," and integration with Mountain Lion's Notification Center.

Evernote 5
Evernote 5's new left sidebar and Atlas Place Cards. | Source: Evernote

The new app retains the OS X Mail-esque three-column layout and basic structure as the current version, but will add more color and functionality while reducing clutter. Key to the new streamlined interface is the use of cards that display notes with corresponding images, similar to how the iOS App Store's executes app searches. Keyboard shortcuts for frequently accessed features like "Jump to Notebook" or "Indent Text" are also supported.

Another significant change is the app's left navigation panel, which has been revamped from the current collapsable category list to a more OS X-like solution, displaying advanced functions like shortcuts, a user's last five notes, and other software features. Both personal and shared notes now appear in one pane, further cleaning up the left sidebar's layout.

Perhaps one of the most prominent new features is TypeAhead search, a powerful new tool that performs searches across all notes, breaking down results by notebooks, notes, tags and recent searches. TypeAhead also automatically suggests searches based on frequently used phrases.

Finally, a new feature called Atlas will allow users to view notes on a map according to where they were written, much like the iOS Photos app, and uses geolocation metadata to present them on "Place Cards" that are ordered by proximity.

Evernote 5 will be offered as a beta sometime next week, while a more complete feature list can be found on the Getting Started page. It is unclear if the beta will be open, but more information should be revealed in the coming days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Ooo, can't wait. I love Evernote ^__^
  • Reply 2 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsQueen View Post

Ooo, can't wait. I love Evernote ^__^

Me too. I survive on it

• Reply 3 of 26
    Seems like the new UI will help to find notes even quicker and will look nicer, too.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    ylonylon Posts: 49member
    Really don't care for this company. Never trusted "cloud" based notes with my private data, give me DEVONthink any day. Not to mention, they destroyed Skitch. Just not a fan of their approach.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Wow. Not only have they copied some of the style of OS X, they've also copied the way apple makes its promo videos.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I've never managed to find Evernote useful. Either I've never grasped how to use it or they have possibly the worst organized app out there. One frustration is how do you transfer a file from one notebook to another's.

Then there is that online storage problem where you really can not put anything important. Hopefully this rev will clean up the app and make it more useful but I don't hold out hope.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    "and other software features"

Um... as opposed to hardware features?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    love ever note and use to keep my notes synced between my home & work computers and my iPhone. Absolutely essential app.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Looking forward to new UI. The concept of Evernote is wonderful and I use it for snagging bits and bytes off the web, but I do find the interface cluttered and confusing. The video looks promising!

• Reply 10 of 26
    wizard69 wrote: »
    One frustration is how do you transfer a file from one notebook to another's.
    Pretty sure sharing of notes requires a paid account. The current MacHeist bundle comes with 12 months of premium access (although I got another three for some reason) along with some other goodies for $30.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

What the HELL was up with the "English" subtitles on that English language video?  I first it seemed to read like a bad Chinese product manual, but as it went on, it had to be some kind of (very, very poor) machine voice recognition - and if you tried to follow it, it made the experience of the video completely unintelligible.  But why have English subtitles on a video that's in clearly spoken English?  Too funny.  Post-ironic even, except likely that was not what was intended.....

.....I do have an honest question about the app though - since I've never really grasped what Evernote is (i.e., how it would improve my life without climbing a steep learning curve), despite eleventy-seven heaps of praises by tech podcasters and posts on forums.  But my question is, is it kind of the Mac equivalent of OneNote?? 

'Cos I've played around with OneNote about 10 or 15 times, and can't make heads or tails of how to make it function like a tool that does something for me, either.  I've been using computers since the 1980's and can do DB scripting, am a word processing and presentation semi-pro, and in Photoshop and more too. 

What gives??

• Reply 12 of 26
    Love Evernote too! This is brilliant your private data is kept private, wether notes or notebooks.
    You choose to give out a link to them & can impose restrictions on whom can view. These are not searchable via google or other search engines.

You can easily transfer data: webpages, images & other on free accounts between notes & notebooks.

Plus with the community of pro users whom build within Evernote you have a great tool for learning.

They also have their business version coming out in December.
  • Reply 13 of 26

Sorry, but Apple needs to provide built-in support for pen or stylus input on the iPad before any of these note taking "systems" are going to be truly effective.  The stylus input and handwriting recognition on the later version of the Newton was actually pretty good.  And that was with an old ARM processor clocked at like 200mhz.  With all the competition in the tablet space now that is one area where Apple's products are currently falling behind. 

• Reply 14 of 26
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    djames4242 wrote: »
    Pretty sure sharing of notes requires a paid account. The current MacHeist bundle comes with 12 months of premium access (although I got another three for some reason) along with some other goodies for $30.

Well a paid account just isn't in my best interest right now. Software as a service never really appealed to me as a consumer friendly business model. Hopefully this thread will generate some good suggestions for note taking apps. Apps that are just that and not conduits to services designed to drain my wallet.

IPad autocorrect at times sucks.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    I also found Evernote too confusing to be useful. I was looking for something to make things easier, but it just gave me a headache. I just tried the latest release of Pocket after hearing some great things, but that was a bit clunky too.
  • Reply 16 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I also found Evernote too confusing to be useful. I was looking for something to make things easier, but it just gave me a headache. I just tried the latest release of Pocket after hearing some great things, but that was a bit clunky too.

Too confusing? It's one of the simplest apps around.

• Reply 17 of 26
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    It's still ugly, and it doesn't do iCloud so what's the point of using it at all?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ylon View Post

Really don't care for this company. Never trusted "cloud" based notes with my private data, give me DEVONthink any day. 

No kidding.  I can't believe people still trust putting their private/personal data in the cloud.  Almost as stupid as posting it on facebook (but not quite).

Folks, it's not just about not losing it, it's about losing control of it.  You can prevent data loss by maintaining a copy (or two) separately from your main storage.  But when you start putting your data out on other people's servers, it will eventually be misappropriated.  It might be next week, next month, next year, or 10 years from now, but you're virtually guaranteed that at some point your data will either be lost, corrupted, or misappropriated.  

For the smart people who encrypt their data before sending it out from your own box, even then, unless you constantly update your encryption methods used on those files, they will become easily visible over time.  Look at the story about how the mighty Google itself was hacked because they apparently don't understand this: http://www.businessinsider.com/a-mathematician-hacked-into-google-because-he-thought-it-was-part-of-a-job-interview-2012-10 .  If they don't get it right, how many other web sites do you think get it?  Actually, once you upload those files, you can't really even "fix" things by updating the encryption over time because they have the original files forever, backed up.  If they're not actively available on a running server, that's much better, of course, but the point is, when you push personal data to the cloud, it's never "safe".

• Reply 19 of 26
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirBubble View Post

Love Evernote too! This is brilliant your private data is kept private, wether notes or notebooks.

You choose to give out a link to them & can impose restrictions on whom can view. These are not searchable via google or other search engines.

You have a very strange notion of "private".  Just because google's crawlers can't find it doesn't mean it's private.  Sheesh.

• Reply 20 of 26
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darthgorilla View Post

Wow. Not only have they copied some of the style of OS X, they've also copied the way apple makes its promo videos.

Maybe they are looking for an acquisition lol