Apple sells out of all iPad mini models as Amazon pans its price

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Gizmodo - the site that knowingly and illegally held a stolen iPhone prototype and was prosecuted for same offense and has since been banned from Apple announcement events has come out against a clearly superior Apple product? What a surprise!
  • Reply 22 of 102
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I doubt Apple will respond but I'd love it if they came out with some cheeky response that never mentioned Amazon or Fire by name.

Apple responds with the iPad Nano.

Game over.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    You can have stereo speakers or dual speakers, but what are dual stereo speakers? :no:
  • Reply 24 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Seriously not sure how smart it is giving Apple free publicity on amazon's website. For people where price is the #1 consideration well they probably weren't looking at an iPad anyway. I doubt Apple will respond but I'd love it if they came out with some cheeky response that never mentioned Amazon or Fire by name.

Even that would show weakness on Apple's part. They have no need.

• Reply 25 of 102
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Have you seen it in person?

It sounds like you speak from experience.

I didnt but I know someone who did.  But thats not the point, I have right in front of me an iphone 4s and an iphone 5, they both have the same pixel density but the 5 use in-cell and IPS.

If you look straight down at the phones the difference is marginal, but as soon as you get an angle, even a small one, the 2 screens are worlds apart. The 5 have a lot less reflections and the screen is much more vivid and crisp. Even when look straight down, the 5 beats the crap of the 4s if there is a lot of light in the room.

The mini used the same screen tech has the iphone 5, and at the same pixel density as the iphone 3gs, it will put the 3gs screen to shame.

• Reply 26 of 102
    dracdrac Posts: 14member
    "you would have to have the IQ of an ant to buy a Kindle Fire HD over an iPad." ... "Haha, Amazon's scared. How amusing" ... "Such a waste of space on the Fire there."

And people wonder why Apple fans have a reputation of being snotty, condescending and arrogant ...
  • Reply 27 of 102

I have the Kinole fire HD and an iPad.  The kindle is good but for ease of use you just can't beat the iPad. I have pre ordered the iPad mini. Guess which I'll be using most.

• Reply 28 of 102

Guess I have the IQ of an ant.  The Kindle fire is a nice product. More problems using the web on the Kindle, but it's good for books, and I do like amazon for e-books. However you are correct. the iPad is superior.

• Reply 29 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

+Camera.  Kindle Fire has no rear camera.  Huge difference  

I never use the camera, it is nice to have though. Like Maps, I never use that either. So, for me, I don't see Maps as a real negative or cameras as a real positive. iOS and the apps I see as a HUGE plus, and Apple's legendary support and hardware. I don't think iOS gets enough credit, apps aside. It's an elegant, minimal OS, and I love it. I've used Android, and I think it's an inelegant mess compared to iOS, and Amazon's Android fork is as ugly as sin.

• Reply 30 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Gizmodo - the site that knowingly and illegally held a stolen iPhone prototype and was prosecuted for same offense and has since been banned from Apple announcement events has come out against a clearly superior Apple product? What a surprise!

To be honest, I don't think that's fair. Gizmodo, regardless of the past would publish this anyway.

• Reply 31 of 102
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Quote:

Originally Posted by odditie View Post

Regardless of the quality of the iPad mini vs. the Kindle Fire, this is the problem with Amazon selling its own products. This is proof they are steering customers towards one product vs. another. While this is an example of them doing it with a product that they are making, how are we to know they aren't doing the same thing on products they receive a larger profit on and steering consumers to products that are not in our best interest because they will be more profitable because of it.

This is an interesting point. 

• Reply 32 of 102
    Funny thing is, iPad® is a registered trademark of Apple Inc. - don't they have to honor that/show that on Amazon?
  • Reply 33 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dubston wrote: »
    You can have stereo speakers or dual speakers, but what are dual stereo speakers? :no:

That sounds like 4 speakers to me.

We haven't seen reviews of this comparison (yet) but Apple's mono speaker in iDevices has been louder and sounding better than the stereo speakers in competing devices. What good are stereo speakers spaced between your ears?
  • Reply 34 of 102

Screw GIZMODO, Screw AMAZON, Screw THE INTERNET. The internet is full of idiots. It seems like every idiot who can use CMD is working for some website, writing his anti-apple opinions, and then putting them on the front page of one of the most visited websites on the web. Gizmodo is full of Fandroids and people payed to write anti-apple articles. I just searched 'iPad Mini' on Amazon and the 4th result was the 7" Fire HD.

Whatabout cellular? Whatabout a decent app store? What about the fact that Amazon sells books, and their books app/service is inferior to Apples. Whatabout compatibility? Whatabout the fact that Apple is a respected computer, phone and tablet seller and makes it so that all of their devices seamlessly work together? Amazon makes nothing but Kindles.

Here is a quote from Parsigi2 over on 9to5forums:

"People are complaining that it's not retina, but I have one thing to say. When the 3rd gen iPad came out, people were all saying "this is the same thing as the iPad 2. You can't even tell the difference between the screens. Nobody was even complaining about the 2's screen." This is seriously what everybody said, and now that the mini is here, people are complaining about the screen. It has a higher PPI than the iPad 2 screen (which everybody said nobody was complaining about, and is not that differentiable from the 3rd gen) but people choose to complain since it's Apple and that's their job."

Now, I'm too lazy to write that myself, but he is completely right. People (people being the soccor moms who think they're 'cool' because they have an iPad, or the teachers (*cough* my english teacher *cough*) who think they're f ucking geniuses cuz they can use settings.app)  weren't excited when the iPad 3 was released about the Retina display, why should they be excites/upset about the non-retina display of the Mini?

• Reply 35 of 102
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quoting Gizmodo is like quoting responses to a blog post or a YouTube video. Have you read their articles? They read like they were written by a kid stuck in detention after school. It's pretty hard to take them seriously.
  • Reply 36 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caro35 View Post

Guess I have the IQ of an ant.  The Kindle fire is a nice product. More problems using the web on the Kindle, but it's good for books, and I do like amazon for e-books. However you are correct. the iPad is superior.

Nope you are a person who buys what fits your needs and you don't need to justify anything to the morons on this site. 

• Reply 37 of 102

Quote:

I love what imore.com did here:

amazon_kindle_fire_vs_ipad_mini_v2-2.jpg

I do not mean to be a dick, but I would rather have HD than a non HD screen.  That is the major reason why I would never buy the mini.  I am not saying I am buying the Fire either.  Apple wants everybody to buy the new toy and then upgrade to the HD version in a year or less.   

• Reply 38 of 102
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

...I'd love it if they came out with some cheeky response..

They already have; it's called iPad mini ;¬)

• Reply 39 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

**** GIZMODO, F UCK AMAZON, F UCK THE INTERNET. The internet is full of idiots. It seems like every idiot who can use CMD is working for some website, writing his anti-apple opinions, and then putting them on the front page of one of the most visited websites on the web. Gizmodo is full of Fandroids and people payed to write anti-apple articles. I just searched 'iPad Mini' on Amazon and the 4th result was the 7" Fire HD. Whatabout cellular? Whatabout a decent app store? What about the fact that Amazon sells books, and their books app/service is inferior to Apples. Whatabout compatibility? Whatabout the fact that Apple is a respected computer, phone and tablet seller and makes it so that all of their devices seamlessly work together? Amazon makes nothing but Kindles. Here is a quote from Parsigi2 over on 9to5forums: "People are complaining that it's not retina, but I have one thing to say. When the 3rd gen iPad came out, people were all saying "this is the same thing as the iPad 2. You can't even tell the difference between the screens. Nobody was even complaining about the 2's screen." This is seriously what everybody said, and now that the mini is here, people are complaining about the screen. It has a higher PPI than the iPad 2 screen (which everybody said nobody was complaining about, and is not that differentiable from the 3rd gen) but people choose to complain since it's Apple and that's their job." Now, I'm too lazy to write that myself, but he is completely right. People weren't excited when the iPad 3 was released about the Retina display, why should they be excites/upset about the non-retina display of the Mini?

Your point was almost lost with all that cursing at the beginning of your post. You do have a point. Everyone was saying the iPad 3 was no different from the 2 as far as they could see. Now that mini has the iPad 2 display condensed people are complaining it's not retina. 

• Reply 40 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

I do not mean to be a dick, but I would rather have HD than a non HD screen.  That is the major reason why I would never buy the mini.  I am not saying I am buying the Fire either.  Apple wants everybody to buy the new toy and then upgrade to the HD version in a year or less.   

Most people claimed they couldn't tell the difference when the iPad 3 came out.