Steve Jobs' Apple inspired super yacht revealed in Netherlands

Comments

• Reply 81 of 129
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Oooh iPod touch! Must've cost them at least $5 each wholesale.
  • Reply 82 of 129
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Oooh iPod touch! Must've cost them at least $5 each wholesale.

How much do you think they will be worth in twenty years or so, as a collectable complete with engraving and note?

• Reply 83 of 129
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Not my taste in boat design, but it seems very SJ.

Agree. Minimalistic but cool looking. Very recognisable, too.
  • Reply 84 of 129
    too bad he's not alive to see it
  • Reply 85 of 129
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

I actually like it.  Very art deco.  Definitely has a 1920's look about it.

As for Steve Jobs, the billionaire with the modest lifestyle. Ha HA.  What with the private Jet and the New Mercedes SL55 every six months so he could avoid having to have a number plate.  I'm not actually being critical, I just dislike the over-use of rose tinted glasses and attempts at beatification.

An iPod shuffle was more a slap-in-the-face than a gift.  They should have been the Touch at the very least, or no gift at all would have been preferable.  What would Touch's have cost?  Let's see: a net worth of 11 B at 5% per annum, that's a bit over 1.5 M a day, or close to 63,000 each hour.  Shuffles at cost?

• Reply 86 of 129
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    If it were clad in iron instead of aluminum it could have been called "Monitor 2".
  • Reply 87 of 129
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

... An iPod shuffle ...

I suggest to the mods just banning anyone making these comments. Clearly trollish behavior, and we're never going to see a worthwhile comment from these people, so no loss at all to the forum to see them gone. Think of this article as a litmus test.

• Reply 88 of 129
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I really don't see how it differs from many other yachts.

Specifically, interestingly, this'n.

Sounds like he knows exactly what he's doing, and you don't.

Have you ever been on a boat, in the ocean?  Ever?  Maybe a small boat on a river or a lake?

Here's a hint:  Every ocean going vessel makes an attempt to avoid flat-shaped hulls, and minimize flat walls. 

Why?  Certainly a flat wall on a hull is easier to make than a curve.  Certainly it's easier to build the sides of a hull flat, than curved.

Unless you plan on sailing on mirror-flat seas, a flat hull will aborb the imact of a wave.  Curved hulls deflect some portion of this energy.  Flat walls are effectively large sail areas.  It's basic engineering - and this "ocean going" yacht appears designed to cruise a small lake, or simply be a floating hotel in a marina.  It's a yacht that doesn't appear capable of handling seas with waves of any significant size.  Additionally, the square sides will present a very large problem with maneuvering in any kind of windy situation.  This much is apparent to ANYONE with the most fundamental understanding of engineering - and not an Apple fanboi.

Even the material in the hull is going to be a poor choice.  Why do you suppose the metal used on ships is primarily iron and bronze (with sacrificial zinc bars on the interior?).  Aluminum corrodes, and salt-water is a highly corrosive liquid to use around Aluminum.  Aluminum is also susceptable to fatigue fracture; which is an undesirable trait for a ship surrounded by water.  Sorry, the ocean isn't going to stop moving, just because SJ designed a boat.

If you want to see a gorgeous Yacht, that can go just about anywhere - I would use the "Octopus" as the golden standard.  The ONLY impressive thing this yacht can boast is that it was largely designed by Steve Jobs.  This yacht is not something I would hold as a standard, in any sense of the word (well, maybe as a foolish way to spend an obscene amount of money on).

• Reply 89 of 129
    Beautiful lines. Definitely inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright, specifically the Robie House.
  • Reply 90 of 129
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member

Fantastic design.

It mixes both Starks ideas with some of Jony Ive's (the iMac in the roofs).

A shame for the shuffle though...

• Reply 91 of 129
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I saw the photo flicking by and before going back to it my head started singing:  Frank Lloyd Wright meets the sea.

That was my reaction at first as well... and despite actually liking Wright. In fairness, this is a miserable bastardization of FLW, but I am sure the windows will leak in deference to the man.

The only way I can imagine the boat performing on the sea is if it had a bulbous bow below the waterline... and I could imagine the pain that would have caused Jobs.

It might not be the ugliest ship in the sea... But it is no Maltese Falcon!
  • Reply 92 of 129

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

The gift is literally too small in this case.

You must be a dream to interact with. 

Funny thing about gifts: you don't get to decide that.

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I suggest to the mods just banning anyone making these comments. Clearly trollish behavior, and we're never going to see a worthwhile comment from these people, so no loss at all to the forum to see them gone. Think of this article as a litmus test.

We don't really have a hard rule against trolling, so you see… too much of it. Write up an example of one in Feedback (with a poll, perhaps?) and if the response is great enough we could try to get its approval from the site owners.

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Every ocean going vessel makes an attempt to avoid flat-shaped hulls, and minimize flat walls. Unless you plan on sailing on mirror-flat seas, a flat hull will aborb the imact of a wave. Flat walls are effectively large sail areas.  It's basic engineering - and this "ocean going" yacht appears designed to cruise a small lake, or simply be a floating hotel in a marina. Additionally, the square sides will present a very large problem with maneuvering in any kind of windy situation.

I suppose you'll tell me this is different for some arbitrary reason. I see… about 900 feet of flat hull and about 300 feet straight up of wall. 

…not an Apple fanboi.

Having what to do with anything, exactly? No, really, explain.

• Reply 93 of 129
    Only iPod shuffles for the craftsmen who built that super expensive yacht? IPod nanos at a minimum. Who do they think built it? Foxconn?

If it was Schmidt's yacht, the workers would have gotten free Google+ accounts with complimentary cloud storage, plus one year of free access to pirated content on Google (scanned) Books.
  • Reply 94 of 129
    reme wrote: »
    Hmmm, they are billionaires, and they gave out shuffles and cards, how.... sweet...
    It's clean, that's all I would say about it. To each their own.

Shuffles are awesome music players, and you're acting like its some kind of insult. Sounds like that spoiled 16-year-old who complained daddy bought them an Acura instead of a Ferrari for their birthday.
  • Reply 95 of 129
    blitz1 wrote: »
    Fantastic design.

It mixes both Starks ideas with some of Jony Ive's (the iMac in the roofs).

A shame for the shuffle though...

It's a shame when people think the Shuffle is not a worthy gift. Or else somebody is missing the point of a GIFT and expects to be showered in diamonds and retina displays. What a shame.
  • Reply 96 of 129

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's a shame when people think the Shuffle is not a worthy gift. Or else somebody is missing the point of a GIFT and expects to be showered in diamonds and retina displays. What a shame.

Anonymouse was absolutely right. This single point seems to have brought out the trolls more than even directly Apple-related stuff. 

It's pathetic. They should be ashamed. But, then again, we have a list of nearly 50 points. They've been doing a fair job of avoiding those points now that they know we know all about them, and it doesn't really leave them much to say otherwise that isn't instantaneously outed as being the stupidest thing imaginable.

On the other hand, the stupidest thing imaginable is usually pretty funny. 

• Reply 97 of 129
    cnocbui wrote: »
    An iPod shuffle was more a slap-in-the-face than a gift.  They should have been the Touch at the very least, or no gift at all would have been preferable.  What would Touch's have cost?  Let's see: a net worth of 11 B at 5% per annum, that's a bit over 1.5 M a day, or close to 63,000 each hour.  Shuffles at cost?

Wow, that's not the point of a gift. A gift is a gesture of thanks. And you have convert a gesture of thanks into cost of manufacturing. Bet you're fun to shop for on your birthday. "no, mom, this Hugo Boss suit probably costs $18 to make in Bangladesh. This gift is a slap in the face, mom!"
  • Reply 98 of 129
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Looks like a building, dropped on the side...

• Reply 99 of 129
    I build a yacht for Steve Jobs and all I got was this lousy iPod touch.
  • Reply 100 of 129
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Even the material in the hull is going to be a poor choice.  Why do you suppose the metal used on ships is primarily iron and bronze (with sacrificial zinc bars on the interior?).  Aluminum corrodes, and salt-water is a highly corrosive liquid to use around Aluminum.  Aluminum is also susceptable to fatigue fracture; which is an undesirable trait for a ship surrounded by water.  Sorry, the ocean isn't going to stop moving, just because SJ designed a boat.

Here is an image of another aluminum hulled ship. The littoral combat ship (LCS).File:USS Independence LCS-2 at pierce (cropped).jpg