Google announces Nexus 4 smartphone, Nexus 10 tablet, Android 4.2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Good for you on the Apple prop/Android bash.  Accurate information is relevant, your silly rant is not.

did it hurt?

• Reply 22 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Wow... you should go fast and tell them.

It is amazing how there are people thinking they know more than big companies.

Shit rises to the top of many companies. Don't be fooled into thinking all CEO's have vision. Most do not. Most have John Sculley's!

Even when they command a large pool of talent.. politics, money, ego's etc all get in the way of making a 'correct' decision.

A lone educated sane mind, free of corporate follies, is very capable of knowing better than the sum of a particular company. 

• Reply 23 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Keep in mind Nexus devices have never been 'high-end'.  They're always a slightly more standard configuration with respect to CPU, storage, etc..., meant to be the 'standard' Google Android experience.   The 'best' hardware usually comes via HTC and Samsung's flagship (non-Nexus) devices...  

The software improvements are neat though.  Spherical panoramas and improvements to voice searching is pretty cool.   And the price is pretty awesome - $349 unlocked for a 'developer' device - nice.  I'd still take the upcoming HTC 1080p device though...

You're right about that historically, but wrong in this case.  The 10 and the 4 both have class leading specs.  The 10 is the first A15 device that I'm aware of and has the highest resolution on any mobile display.  The 4 doesn't have any next generation technology (except the inductive charging), but there isn't a phone with a more powerful processor.

• Reply 24 of 206
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Wired charging = need wire.

Wireless charging = need wire (for the charger) AND the charger!

Doesn’t do it for me.

• Reply 25 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Doesn’t do it for me.

exactly.. it's a shame that fandroids buy into this. Real sheep, anyone can fool them... and they are already here, they loose no time.

• Reply 26 of 206
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    snova wrote: »
    Anyone know why the 9.7" model is called a Nexus 10, yet the 4.7" model is called a Nexus 4?  Shouldn't one reason that the 4.7" model be called a Nexus 5 or the 9.7" model be called a Nexus 9?

Does the iPhone 5 have a 5" screen? The Nexus 4 is the fourth generation Nexus phone.
  • Reply 27 of 206
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

exactly.. it's a shame that fandroids buy into this. Real sheep, anyone can fool them... and they are already here, they loose no time.

You're so right bro, plugging/unplugging a proprietary connector hundreds of times and paying $300 more is where it's at!

• Reply 28 of 206
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member

The Nexus10 does have a couple of pluses. Appears to be lighter weight than the iPad and plenty of screen resolution. Battery life looks good on paper...

but gosh that looks like a lot of bezel.

• Reply 29 of 206
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    I'm amazed that they hit that price point on the 4.

I'll wait for a few in dept reviews before committing, but from the looks of things, this has a very good chance of being my next phone.
  • Reply 30 of 206

I checked some other forums I am on, and I am surprised there isn't a bigger reaction to the Nexus 10 with it's 2560x1600 OLED screen.

This is the biggest/highest resolution OLED in a consumer device yet.

Though I bet it is Pentile, which will reduce effective ppi quite a bit.

Still I expected a bigger reaction to a 2560x1600 10" OLED.

• Reply 31 of 206
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Does the iPhone 5 have a 5" screen? The Nexus 4 is the fourth generation Nexus phone.

What this have to do with Apple's model naming?  Do they have the screen size embedded in the model name on iPad, iPhone, iPod?

Did I somehow overlook 9 generations of Nexus Tablets?

• Reply 32 of 206

Awesome resolution on the Nexus 10, but I sure hope it's not pentile garbage.

The Nexus 4....no LTE, no removable battery (Android users care), no SD slot (again, comparing against other androids). but $349 unlocked! that is cheap (maybe in other ways too =P). Samsung and other OEMs must be upset at this pricing, then again all Nexus pricing looks to be screwing over their own partners at the cost of fighting Apple.

• Reply 33 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

Anyone know why the 9.7" model is called a Nexus 10, yet the 4.7" model is called a Nexus 4?  Shouldn't one reason that the 4.7" model be called a Nexus 5 or the 9.7" model be called a Nexus 9?

Nexus 4 = 4th Nexus phone (just like the iphone 5 is the "5th" iphone)

Nexus 10 = ~10 inch nexus tablet just like the Nexus 7 is the 7 inch tablet

• Reply 34 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Shit rises to the top of many companies. Don't be fooled into thinking all CEO's have vision. Most do not. Most have John Sculley's!

Even when they command a large pool of talent.. politics, money, ego's etc all get in the way of making a 'correct' decision.

A lone educated sane mind, free of corporate follies, is very capable of knowing better than the sum of a particular company. 

I don't agree with this at all. When a company's board realizes their CEO is useless, they get rid of them. Like they did with John Sculley. He may get away with it for a while but eventually the board will toss them. The only time you here about CEO's are when they screw up because it makes great news. CEO's making great decisions never makes the news but it happens all the time every day. Usually the saying is "The cream rises to the top".

• Reply 35 of 206
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    snova wrote: »
    What this have to do with Apple's model naming?  Do they have the screen size embedded in the model name on iPad, iPhone, iPod?
    Did I miss 9 generations of Nexus Tablets?

It's not all tied in to screen size.
  • Reply 36 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubernabei View Post

Nexus 4 = 4th Nexus phone (just like the iphone 5 is the "5th" iphone)

Nexus 10 = ~10 inch nexus tablet just like the Nexus 7 is the 7 inch tablet

iphone 5 is the "5th" iphone?!!!! Hoo boy!!! Wait until TS gets a hold of you!!

• Reply 37 of 206
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

You're so right bro, plugging/unplugging a proprietary connector hundreds of times and paying $300 more is where it's at!

the wireless charger is not proprietary? cool!!  what standard does it use and how much would it cost me to replace it?  certainly it will be cheaper than Apple's pricy $19 cable. right?

• Reply 38 of 206
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

Yes, consistency would have been better. But of course you can't have several different Nexus 4 smartphones from different manufacturers.

Apple's naming convention makes much more sense. Walk into a store and find the iPad and iPad 2 on the shelf and the name alone tells you which is the newer one.  .  .  Hey, wait a minuteimage

• Reply 39 of 206

Meh.

• Reply 40 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Doesn’t do it for me.

So wired chargers need just a wire and not a charger? Huh? Where does the wire plug into?

Wireless charging is a bit gimicky, but if the feature doesnt cost any more, it is nice to just plop your phone down on a surface instead of fiddling with wires that will eventually wear out.