Google announces Nexus 4 smartphone, Nexus 10 tablet, Android 4.2

1235711

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 206
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post


     




    It's not an OLED, though. It's a non-PenTile PLS LCD.



     

    #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

     


    #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

    For us philistines, what are the pros and cons?


    #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

     

  • Reply 82 of 206
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    It's only being launched on TMobile AFAIK, who doesn't have LTE. 



     

    #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

    Since T-mobile is #4 out of the four US postpaid cellular providers, it is an interesting move by Google.


    #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

     

  • Reply 83 of 206
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post


    Interesting - Now Google has a real brand in Nexus, with 3 products spanning different sizes and utility. Particularly interesting that they use LG to make Nexus 4, Asus to make Nexus 7 and Samsung to make Samsung 10. Have they heard of a company called Motorola?



     

    #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

    Maybe they know too much about Motorola?!


    #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

     

  • Reply 84 of 206

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    So the Verge knocked the 4S for not having LTE, yet they devote a whole column to explain why the Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE. And people still claim these tech sites don't have an anti-Apple bias? image

    http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569688/why-nexus-4-does-not-have-4g-lte




    Andy Rubin put it this way: "Tactically, we want to make sure the devices are available for every network on the planet." For now, that means that the Nexus 4 will only be available as an unlocked HSPA+ device.


     


     


    Excuses. Doesn't this mean it won't work on Verizon? And doesn't he also imply it'll never have LTE?

  • Reply 85 of 206
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,173member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    So the Verge knocked the 4S for not having LTE, yet they devote a whole column to explain why the Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE. And people still claim these tech sites don't have an anti-Apple bias? image

    http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569688/why-nexus-4-does-not-have-4g-lte


     


    No kidding. The 4S was trashed and mocked for not having LTE, and panned for being 'years behind', a 'joke', etc. Yet more than a year later, Google's flagship Android phone doesnt have it, even when the newest iPhones/iPads do, and everyone is falling over themselves to justify it. 

  • Reply 86 of 206

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by igriv View Post


     


    #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

     


    #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

    For us philistines, what are the pros and cons?


    #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

     



     


    Pros: Great colors and viewing angles. Also, sharpness will be great at 300 ppi.


    Cons: Imperfect blacks (compared to OLED).

  • Reply 87 of 206
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


     


    Most CEO's get there by using social skills, not by technical prowess. They took a decade to remove John Sculley, and nearly killed Apple in the process...


     


    You only need to look at some of the decisions made at Nokia, RIMM and MIcrosoft over the past decade, to realise the sum is not firing on all cylinders.



     

    #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

    Actually, Sculley did very well at Apple until the nineties, at which point he was removed quite quickly. His successors were suits with not many other talents, however. MSFT has had its problems under Ballmer, but he has generally done a pretty decent job (Skype is doing very well, Xbox, which looked like a disaster at first, is quite successful, and Kynect is a major UI advance, admittedly, um, inspired by the Wii, Windows 7 is a very solid OS). Nokia has been a victim of its carrier relationships. RIMM? Well, if your major selling point is MS exchange compatibility, one could argue that the chickens would come home to roost eventually.


    #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

     

  • Reply 88 of 206
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,458member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    So the Verge knocked the 4S for not having LTE, yet they devote a whole column to explain why the Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE. And people still claim these tech sites don't have an anti-Apple bias? image



    http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569688/why-nexus-4-does-not-have-4g-lte


     


     


    It isn't bias. The market for this phone is really clear in my mind and I'm getting very worried for Apple with this latest Google response. It's beginning to feel a little like 1995 around here again.


     


    Apple absolutely needs LTE in their flagship phone of which they produce one a year and also it is the phone that justifes fat margins and a minimum price of $650 per phone.


     


    The Nexus line has not been a true flagship line but more like a baseline platform target for where Android should minimally be for the next year.


     


    Apple has had two quarters now where the first hit their targets but did not hit their whisper number and now a quarter where they just outright didn't hit their own targets. It is clear that the slowing of growth with regard to Apple is OUTSIDE of the United States. In the United States, subsidy model helps hide the true cost of buying an iPhone. Outside the U.S. it is a completely different story. This phone is clearly targeted for stunting and stopping the growth of Apple outside the U.S. It is $300-$350 out the door, barely half the price of an iPhone. It has the latest 3G standard but doesn't sweat having a divided 4G standard.


     


    It is clear U.S. carriers are using 4G/LTE to push people into more expensive plans, take away their data options, lock phones to their network again, etc.


     


    The Samsung Galaxy S3 OUTSIDE the U.S. has 3G and a quad-core processor. Within the U.S. it has a dual-core and LTE. Samsung has had no problem selling them worldwide.


     


    Google's eco-system is inferior to Apple's but they are now beating Apple on price, beating them on most specs and it appears their OS is at least on par if perhaps not better depending upon your view.


     


    That doesn't mean Apple dies overnight. It doesn't mean Apple has no momentum to sustain them.


     


    It does mean we should be concerned. Apple has already fired their holiday season shot. This isn't six months later and we all don't mind waiting until close to Christmas knowing that Apple will produce something amazing again.


     


    This....this is six days later.

  • Reply 89 of 206
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,221member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post


    Awesome resolution on the Nexus 10, but I sure hope it's not pentile garbage.


     


    The Nexus 4....no LTE, no removable battery (Android users care), no SD slot (again, comparing against other androids). but $349 unlocked! that is cheap (maybe in other ways too =P). Samsung and other OEMs must be upset at this pricing, then again all Nexus pricing looks to be screwing over their own partners at the cost of fighting Apple.



     


    Prices and specs are great but I am not sure how google can convinced those partners to dump hardware with no margins like that. Not to mention if I was Samsung I would not be too happy about the LG phone at this price.

  • Reply 90 of 206

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    To be fair, he did put it in quotes. But that completely invalidates his entire argument in the first place, so he was probably still intending it to mean "5th" without quotes. In which case, yeah, I'll tear into him. image


     


     


    NOPE. Third redesign. 



     


    A good chuckle on a lousy rainy Monday morning image


     


    (Hey and I just realized we finally have more emoticons than the laughing one. Good job AI, welcome to 2001)

  • Reply 91 of 206
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,921member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


     


    No kidding. The 4S was trashed and mocked for not having LTE, and panned for being 'years behind', a 'joke', etc. Yet more than a year later, Google's flagship Android phone doesnt have it, even when the newest iPhones/iPads do, and everyone is falling over themselves to justify it. 



    The Nexus devices aren't meant as "flagship" models. They've been used as proof-of-concept models used to preview and launch new OS versions. "Flagship" models have been left to the Android licensees themselves to develop. 

  • Reply 92 of 206
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,221member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post


     


     


    It isn't bias. The market for this phone is really clear in my mind and I'm getting very worried for Apple with this latest Google response. It's beginning to feel a little like 1995 around here again.


     


    Apple absolutely needs LTE in their flagship phone of which they produce one a year and also it is the phone that justifes fat margins and a minimum price of $650 per phone.


     


    The Nexus line has not been a true flagship line but more like a baseline platform target for where Android should minimally be for the next year.


     


    Apple has had two quarters now where the first hit their targets but did not hit their whisper number and now a quarter where they just outright didn't hit their own targets. It is clear that the slowing of growth with regard to Apple is OUTSIDE of the United States. In the United States, subsidy model helps hide the true cost of buying an iPhone. Outside the U.S. it is a completely different story. This phone is clearly targeted for stunting and stopping the growth of Apple outside the U.S. It is $300-$350 out the door, barely half the price of an iPhone. It has the latest 3G standard but doesn't sweat having a divided 4G standard.


     


    It is clear U.S. carriers are using 4G/LTE to push people into more expensive plans, take away their data options, lock phones to their network again, etc.


     


    The Samsung Galaxy S3 OUTSIDE the U.S. has 3G and a quad-core processor. Within the U.S. it has a dual-core and LTE. Samsung has had no problem selling them worldwide.


     


    Google's eco-system is inferior to Apple's but they are now beating Apple on price, beating them on most specs and it appears their OS is at least on par if perhaps not better depending upon your view.


     


    That doesn't mean Apple dies overnight. It doesn't mean Apple has no momentum to sustain them.


     


    It does mean we should be concerned. Apple has already fired their holiday season shot. This isn't six months later and we all don't mind waiting until close to Christmas knowing that Apple will produce something amazing again.


     


    This....this is six days later.



     


    Apple didnt miss any of there guidance, but the beats are slowing down indeed. 


     


    PREVIOUS EARNINGS:


    2010 Q1 (Ending 12/31/10) Guidance = $4.80; Actual = $6.43;(Beat = 40.0%)


    2011 Q2 (Ending 3/31/11) Guidance = $4.90; Actual = $6.40; (Beat = 30.6%)


    2011 Q3 (Ending 6/31/11) Guidance = $5.07; Actual = $7.79; (Beat = 53.6%)


    2011 Q4 (Ending 9/24/11) Guidance = $5.50; Actual = $7.05 (Beat = 28.2%)


    2012 Q1 (Ending 12/31/11) Guidance = $9.30; Actual = $13.87 (Beat = 49.1%)


    2012 Q2 (Ending 3/31/12) Guidance = $8.50; Actual = $12.30 (Beat = 44.7%)


    2012 Q3 (Ending 6/30/12) Guidance = $8.68; Actual = $9.32 (Beat = 7.4%)


    2012 Q4 (Ending 6/30/12) Guidance = $7.65; Actual = $8.67 (Beat = 13.3%)


     


    I think the ipad 4 update was to counter that nexus 10 tablet. Apple is on the defensive in the tablet space. But the price are very agressive, not easy for Apple to counter this without hurting there margins.  I still think Apple ecosystem, build quality and design are better and it may keep strong sales going on. They are after all, selling every phone and tablet they can make.


     


     


    Apple is going to see operating margins improvement in Q2, it may pass that to the consumer by lowering there price. I dont think they will have a choice actually.

  • Reply 93 of 206
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It's only being launched on TMobile AFAIK, who doesn't have LTE. 
    Why only T-Mobile?
  • Reply 94 of 206
    A new point release without a new version code name? While I have complained about new versions of the platform not making it to older devices, just keeping the same platform name isn't really solving the problem, Google. :P

    It also seems like Google is returning fire on the Windows RT platform with the addition of multiple user profiles on the tablets. But I gotta say a "guest" profile on my smartphone would be sweet, that way I could let someone bum my phone for web searching while keeping my data away from their fat, regularly-accidentally-hits-the-delete-option fingers. (Hey Apple, that's a hint-hint for you too.)

    And so, the tablet wars begin....
  • Reply 95 of 206

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by snova View Post


    Anyone know why the 9.7" model is called a Nexus 10, yet the 4.7" model is called a Nexus 4?  Shouldn't one reason that the 4.7" model be called a Nexus 5 or the 9.7" model be called a Nexus 9?



    Same reason the 6th iphone is called iphone5, and the 9th windows was called windows7

  • Reply 96 of 206

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by snova View Post


    nice going staying on topic.   Its like catching snakes swimming in lube.



     


    The point I was making is the Nexus 4 is not limited to using just 'proprietary' wireless charging, but can also use the industry standard mico-USB. Cables for which are available for a lot less than $19. Apologies for any confusion caused.

  • Reply 97 of 206
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,921member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    Why only T-Mobile?


    I don't know, and I don't believe Google has made mention of the reason either. I suppose with Sprint, Verizon and ATT all married to Apple, throwing TMobile a bone isn't all bad.

  • Reply 98 of 206
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member


    Why do these companies quote standby time?  Has any actual user ever let their phone sit, untouched, for 500 hours?

  • Reply 99 of 206
    Wow, those apps are going to look good scales up to that res.

    Need to do some measurements, but I bet a 1920x1080p video will be bigger on the iPad screen than the "letter boxed on both sides" version does on the Nexus.
  • Reply 100 of 206
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    No kidding. The 4S was trashed and mocked for not having LTE, and panned for being 'years behind', a 'joke', etc. Yet more than a year later, Google's flagship Android phone doesnt have it, even when the newest iPhones/iPads do, and everyone is falling over themselves to justify it. 
    Even if its not the "flagship" device, it's pretty lame to make excuses for or explain away not having LTE.
Sign In or Register to comment.