Steve Jobs' Apple inspired super yacht revealed in Netherlands

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

I build a yacht for Steve Jobs and all I got was this lousy iPod touch.

You mean in addition to the +2 years job with full pay & benefits building it...

• Reply 102 of 129
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

The iPod is a nice enough gift. The thank you note certainly doesn't look very Jobsian with all CAPS.

The ship design...not my personal taste, but to each their own.

• Reply 103 of 129

Ahoy!

This yacht was not designed by me, or for me, in fact I had zero input WRT this yacht from concept to conclusion. Further, I have not spent one cent on it. Hmmmmm, I'm not really showing any standing here when it comes to criticizing, applauding, or even commenting on this yacht. Will that stop me? Of course not!

It's Job's yacht, it suited his taste, and he paid for it, which should be the end of the story. It is not a design that I would like, but then I'm not a minimalist. My preference would have been for a more traditional design. Naturally nobody cares WTH my preferences are, nor should they. However, this yacht has no nautical personality at all, IMO. I would not want to ride out a storm on this yacht, and of course that will not happen to Mrs. Jobs, and/or her guests, they would safely be miles away from such experiences, if the ship ever encounters them. This yacht looks like an oversized bathtub model, designed for the sake of design, more than the sake of a seagoing vessel. From it's appearance, it looks like it could have been created without so much as a visit to a chandlery. 

If somebody thought that this story was worth posting, then my comments are just as worthy of being read. This will conclude my efforts at wasting time, for now. 

• Reply 104 of 129
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

I think the Venus design is notable.  It's not outrageous, nor is it mundane.  The more I see of it the more I like it.  Definitely unconventional as yachts go.

My personal yacht favorites are the Wally 118 and either of Giorgio Armani's yachts the Mariu or the Main.  The Wally looks like a weapon and has 17,000 horsepower from three gas turbine engines.  The Armani boats are elegant inside and out.  But mostly the inside - as beautiful as one of his suits.

• Reply 105 of 129
    remereme Posts: 74member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Shuffles are awesome music players, and you're acting like its some kind of insult. Sounds like that spoiled 16-year-old who complained daddy bought them an Acura instead of a Ferrari for their birthday.

No, not really.  Obviously any gift is always a nice gesture, certainly what I've taught my children.  I'm just more generous by nature and have certainly given nicer things for far less than this project.  I'm sure that they probably gave out a bunch of these as I'm sure there were a ton of workers involved, but I would have done something more unique and creative.  I'm certainly not ashamed or sorry to have this opinion, I'm sure most who read the article thought "wow, a shuffle, how cool is that!", but in the end it is the thought that counts.

My daughter learned something interesting on her summer job scooping gellato, some of the most well to do folks, were the most clueless and downright cheap.  Maybe that's how they made their fortunes, or maybe they've never scooped gelato for minimum wage, who knows.

• Reply 106 of 129

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

My personal yacht favorites are the Wally 118

"Flat wall sides. Terrible. Obviously not made by anyone who cares about boats." image

It's actually my favorite, too.

• Reply 107 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

I build a yacht for Steve Jobs and all I got was this lousy iPod touch.

Do you really believe that?

• Reply 108 of 129

What all of those yachts lack is deck space and the accoutrements that go with it. Nothing quite like a stroll on the deck, with drink in hand, passing the bathing beauties lounging in the deck chairs and chaises. They're just large boats, as opposed to yachts, IMO. 

• Reply 109 of 129
    iShip = ugly
  • Reply 110 of 129
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

<mispost>

• Reply 111 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgmenke View Post

iShip = ugly

Looking forward to seeing yours.

• Reply 112 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The thank you note certainly doesn't look very Jobsian with all CAPS.

(pssst... Steve is dead... he didn't write the note.)

• Reply 113 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Seems like it would be an awful sailing experience. Providing waves a flat surface means that the "Venus" will absorb nearly the complete force of each wave that hits it. The hull shape is a 'wedge' without a place to displace the upward energy of oncoming waves - which means that overall, not only will the crew and guests get to enjoy bouncing up and down, but they will also enjoy the sway of side to side - even in light to moderate seas.

Instead of calling it the "Venus", I think a more appropriate name would be the "Vomit". Conventional hulls are shaped the way they are shaped, for a reason. That reason is not that they are easier to make - but because HUMANS use them; something that SJ apparently completely forgot to consider.

Have you looked below the water line?  You see, boats actually float on water. They go up and down with the water.  Thus, it's below the waterline that counts. It's built by Feadship. Perhaps they could use some of your expertise as surely the most prestigious of yacht builders is lacking in the engineering department. 

If you are referring to breaking waves, no design is going to take them much better or worst. It's a pounding either way. That's why 99% of these boats time is spent on a dock. With the owners flying to them when they want to play boaters. 

• Reply 114 of 129
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Wow, they gave them the smallest iPod they could... how generous.
    I'm just not sure about the iMacs in the cabin. I would have used macbooks which are more resistant to vibration and movement. The boat could take a violent wave and BAM no more hard drives.

I don't really like Starck, the person. He's just an old designer with a huge team that does all the work in his place and he just applies his name on the project at the end, when he maybe just drew a line... nothing spectacular.

about the ipod shuffle As a gift...
    i was wonder That too... but there's got to be some social protocol that states that you give the smallest item that you make as a "token gift"and perhaps giving an expensive item is offensive...

Perhaps this concept is Along the lines of if you can start giving expensive items as token gifts ...where do you you stop ....Tiffany's diamonds?, gold bouillons ...? if you give the smallest item or budget item or token item in your product line that solves the whole Judging the gift size...
  • Reply 115 of 129
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

I'm sure it's a fantastic yacht that performs very well and will be a pleasure for passengers and crew to experience and operate.

I'm sure it's very seaworthy and built soundly and of long lasting and quality materials.

I'm sure Steve would be happy with it and that his family will enjoy it (although it does seem a bit out of character for him.) On the other hand, he's lived a pretty low key life (for a billionaire) and good for him that he had fun with a big project before he died.

The iPod gifts were a kind gesture of thanks and if anyone got one and doesn't appreciate it, tough titty. Those of us who didn't get one, didn't do anything to deserve one and aren't involved (so who cares what we think.)

As far as "flat surfaces," you can be sure the hull is a continuously variable curve, as hydrodynamic shapes always are. Above the water line the hull is pretty straight, which probably makes it easier to use the interior space.

I really like a few design projects PS has been involved with (particularly the Ducati, his first motorcycle) but mostly I don't at all care for his aesthetic.

I've always been amazed SJ was into him, because PS's esthetic seems ostentatious and showy rather than elegant and functional in it's so called "minimalism." But Steve has always had a bit of that himself (Next box, puck mouse, cube Mac, etc.)

The styling on the yacht is interesting, but not my taste. I really dislike the polished metallic lead edge on the bow crest and the basically boxy look (typical PS) seems a bit elephantine. On the other hand, I do like old Volvos (they're boxy but they're good!") and I like some of the details like the anchors and some of the other fitting details (or lack there of.)

To me, the most interesting thing is the overall look of the craft. Despite its chunky size, it has a distinctly serene and placid feel about it that is elegant. "Serene and placid" are something I've never seen in modern yachts. Since the overall feel is a PS contribution, I would have to say it is a design success for him (even if most other aspects of the yacht are not to my taste.)

• Reply 116 of 129
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Wild looking ship. I'm curious what the design goals were. Optimized for radar stealth, speed, shallow water operation?  I need to read about this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Here is an image of another aluminum hulled ship. The littoral combat ship (LCS).File:USS Independence LCS-2 at pierce (cropped).jpg

• Reply 117 of 129
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I think the Venus design is notable.  It's not outrageous, nor is it mundane.  The more I see of it the more I like it.  Definitely unconventional as yachts go.

My personal yacht favorites are the Wally 118 and either of Giorgio Armani's yachts the Mariu or the Main.  The Wally looks like a weapon and has 17,000 horsepower from three gas turbine engines.  The Armani boats are elegant inside and out.  But mostly the inside - as beautiful as one of his suits.

My personal favorite yachts, from the Royal Huisman yard, are Lethantia (nee Borkumriff III) and Borkumriff IV. Only 1072 hp on Borkumriff IV, but 1164 sq m of sail area. On a more human scale, Spirit Yachts builds some of the most beautiful boats being built today.

• Reply 118 of 129
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    zinfella wrote: »
    Ahoy!

The proper term is: Alloy!

desuserign wrote: »
    Wild looking ship. I'm curious what the design goals were. Optimized for radar stealth, speed, shallow water operation?  I need to read about this one.

What I suspected, it's a trimaran: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littoral_combat_ship
  • Reply 119 of 129
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member
    The iYacht%u2026 What a graceless thing of breathtaking ugliness she is. She'd look more at home dry docked in a suburban strip mall and filled with orthodontists than sailing the high seas.
  • Reply 120 of 129

It's the Steve Jobs version of Noah's Ark so all the VPs can safely escape when Apple starts to take on water.