iPad mini Smart Covers being delivered ahead of tablet's launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A number of iPad mini buyers who purchased a Smart Cover for their device have already received the accessory, offering an early glimpse at what to expect when the mid-size Apple tablet launches on Friday.

iPad mini Smart Cover

An AppleInsider reader from Boston, Mass., was among a number of customers to receive the iPad mini's Smart Cover on Monday, some four days ahead of the tablet's release.

While nothing extraordinary can be gleaned from the unboxing images, the photos offer a closer look at the cover's materials and new non-metal hinge mechanism, both of which were highlighted during the mini's announcement last week.

Unlike the full-size iPad's Smart Cover, which comes in both polyurethane and leather designs, the mini's version will initially be offered only in the former configuration. The materials appear to be consistent with the versions built for the 9.7-inch iPad, including the soft microfiber inner lining and magnetic closure system.

iPad mini Smart Cover

The mini's Smart Cover is unique in that it eschews the metal hinge mechanism found in all other Smart Covers, replacing it with a magnet array covered in polyurethane and microfiber. The new design could be a move to protect the device's anodized aluminum shell which is offered in a black and slate colorway, the first for an Apple tablet.

iPad mini Smart Cover

Apple's $39 iPad mini Smart Cover is available in six colors, including dark gray, light gray, blue, pink, green, and red, with all styles in stock and ready for shipment from the Online Apple Store.

It was reported earlier on Monday that Apple had sold out of all iPad mini models only three days after the tablet went up for pre sale. Deliveries of the device are scheduled to hit customer's doorsteps and brick-and-mortar Apple Stores this Friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

Arrrrgghh.. i'm still waiting for "itunes 11 arrives".

• Reply 2 of 14
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I found the smart covers to be terrible. My wife dropped her iPad (with smart cover properly attached to it) from two feet off the ground and the corner glass shattered. The cover offers virtually no protection to the edges of your iPad. We now use smart *cases* for iPads which offer far better protection when dropped.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    I found the smart covers to be terrible. My wife dropped her iPad (with smart cover properly attached to it) from two feet off the ground and the corner glass shattered. The cover offers virtually no protection to the edges of your iPad. We now use smart *cases* for iPads which offer far better protection when dropped.

There purpose isn't to protect areas that aren't covered by the cover. It's a Smart Cover™ not an intelligent, morphing cover. I wouldn't even say protection is its primary purpose, but a portable stand for the device that you easily carry with you without bulk. Covering the front seems more like a secondary result of the primary function.

My complaints about the Smart Cover is that they are noticeably less quality in the top leather and lack of underlying microfiber between the 1st gen (iPad 2) to 2nd gen (iPad 3), as well as the lack of SW and additional magnets so it knows when you lift up just one section so you can see notifications, stocks, weather, time and other minor and quick data at a glance.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Good choice. I’d never have expected a screen protector to somehow protect other parts of the device from 2 foot drops. It can only protect what it covers.

Me, I use a rear shell to prevent scratches, and next time not even that: I like slim! A bag with handles for travel will cover the likely drop scenarios. In everyday use, I’ll take my chances.

• Reply 5 of 14

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Two more days before we can really complain.

• Reply 6 of 14
    Two more days before we can really complain.

Can we at least complain about having to wait 2 days to really complain?
  • Reply 7 of 14

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Can we at least complain about having to wait 2 days to really complain?

Yes, absolutely. I wouldn't want it any other way.

• Reply 8 of 14

OQuote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

October...

• Reply 9 of 14
    Mine's coming tomorrow.
  • Reply 10 of 14

Zain,

How did you track to see that yours is coming tomorrow?

• Reply 11 of 14
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Please. please, please stop using the term "colorway."  It's meaningless, trash/ghetto talk.  It's not even a real word. 

The next thing you know you'll be "axing" your "bitches" to write articles for you.  

• Reply 12 of 14
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Please. please, please stop using the term "colorway."  It's meaningless, trash/ghetto talk.  It's not even a real word. 

The next thing you know you'll be "axing" your "bitches" to write articles for you.  

Could you be more specific? Dictionaries seem to universally accept the term: http://i.word.com/idictionary/colorway
  • Reply 13 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's not ghetto talk. The term colorway is used for things (like shoes) where the item can come in a variety of colors. Yes it shouldn't be used when talking about a technological device that has one or two major colors but don't make it seem like a terrible term. "Ghetto" people aren't the only ones that use that term.

• Reply 14 of 14
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

My cover arrived today, i laid it on top of my galaxy tab 7.7, its about the same size, the tab 7.7 is 16:9 the bezel is pretty big, cant wait to get the iPad mini!!! :D