Since full Time Machine restore, The Finder and QL no longer play AVI files.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

Yes, I have Perian Installed, and yes these videos play in QuickTime.

It's Finder and QuickLook where I'm having problems.

P.S. I hate this stupid new comment box:

http://i.imgur.com/Dp9Hn.png

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

P.S. I hate this stupid new comment box:

So do we. 

Perian is discontinued. Don't expect it to work anymore at all.

I've found QuickTime no longer plays AVIs, and I haven't restored from anything in a very long time. It started… I guess in 10.8.2; not sure, as I don't really keep files in non-MP4 formats and the point of Perian is to seamlessly integrate those filetypes away. 

My guess is that 10.8.2 finally broke Perian, and so that's that.

• Reply 2 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So do we. 

LL

I have it set that way. Doesn't always correct them automatically, though.
    Perian is discontinued. Don't expect it to work anymore at all.

I've found QuickTime no longer plays AVIs, and I haven't restored from anything in a very long time. It started… I guess in 10.8.2; not sure, as I don't really keep files in non-MP4 formats and the point of Perian is to seamlessly integrate those filetypes away. 

My guess is that 10.8.2 finally broke Perian, and so that's that.

How do that explain why I didn't have a problem before restoring, from 10.8.2 in Finder or Quicklook. I was trying to figure out what was going on with my issues with Google, so I think I removed some input managers before restoring, thinking that was it, but it wasn't. Could that be the reason QL and Finder no longer plays nice with AVI files? (and like I say, QuickTime itself is fine)
  • Reply 3 of 7

install onyx and use the rebuild dyld cache option and see if that helps.  clean everything up with onyx first.

• Reply 4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

install onyx and use the rebuild dyld cache option and see if that helps.  clean everything up with onyx first.

I tried exactly what you said (and I also rebuilt launch services, just in case), but the issue remains:

Here's what I'm now seeing in Spotlight that I wasn't seeing before restoring the OS (the video files themselves are fine):

• Reply 5 of 7

If you used the option to rebuild the spotlight index in Onyx, it is probably rebuilding it.   To fix your issue, another option to try would be to install the combo update for your version of the operating system.   If some of the system files are messed up, that usually fixes it.   The combo updates are available on Apple's support site.

• Reply 6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

If you used the option to rebuild the spotlight index in Onyx, it is probably rebuilding it.   To fix your issue, another option to try would be to install the combo update for your version of the operating system.   If some of the system files are messed up, that usually fixes it.   The combo updates are available on Apple's support site.

That Combo Update installation actually worked! Either that or it was all the cleaning I just did with Onyx. Thanks either way, though.

• Reply 7 of 7

It would seem now this issue was actually fixed with the combo update, and not the Onyx cleaning. I just had to perform a full Time Machine restore and the issue is back, again. I've used Onyx to clean and maintain everything, but it's not fixed at this point.

Will report back after the update, to help folks who may encounter this very annoying issue in the future.

UPDATE: Yup. Combo update fixed it. Strange.