Microsoft's Steve Ballmer dismisses Apple as a 'low-volume player'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 156
    Bullet head.
  • Reply 42 of 156
    Only 60% worldwide? I call absolute b-s. I was traveling in Europe a couple of weeks ago, and was stunned to see that iPads are **everywhere** -- airport lounges, airplanes, cafes, restaurants, offices, hotel lobbies...... Not an Android to be found (or perhaps it's because Android owners are too ashamed to show it in public).

I am in Latin America this week, and it's exactly the same thing.
  • Reply 43 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

I wonder if he was wearing a set of Halloween season contacts. You know - the ones with the glow-in-the-dark irises.

nope, just high

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

There's this river in Egypt..called Denial...

fermented kool-aid is running in it

• Reply 44 of 156
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    I wonder if that dude who got fired from Apple could get the CEO position at Microsoft? Forestal could clean the mess at MSFT... except that he has a difficult personality. I would love to see that, than pile on MSFT stock.

Too bad Cook kept Forestal hogtied as an advisor.
  • Reply 45 of 156
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Only 60% worldwide? I call absolute b-s. I was traveling in Europe a couple of weeks ago, and was stunned to see that iPads are **everywhere** -- airport lounges, airplanes, cafes, restaurants, offices, hotel lobbies...... Not an Android to be found (or perhaps it's because Android owners are too ashamed to show it in public).
    I am in Latin America this week, and it's exactly the same thing.

I've been saying that too. It's the same with MBPs too, Apple logos glowing every where with the odd Dell hiding in the corner now and then.
  • Reply 46 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianCPA View Post

Computers running Windows 7:          40%

Computers running OS X:                   8.5%

First 4 days:

Upgrades to Windows 8:               4 million

Upgrades to Mountain Lion:          3 million

Had Ballmer had the success of Apple that he said he was content without, Microsoft would have sold around 14 million copies in the first four days.

Yes, but they don't want to tell you that 4 Million number includes all the PC's built by Dell, HP, etc etc, that had to be updated that were sitting in stock.  I mean, other ones I can think of are corporations IT Departments to update their labs to see how much work they will have to do in next year or two to roll out those win8 systems to general use.  Not to mention all the training places, the schools, etc, to "comply" with MS requirements.  Also, they are probably adding in all the "shipped" not sold ones as well.    

Here is a great example, Toyota to Honda, and the old Camry Vs. Civic...Toyota sells to rent-a-car type places, and Honda does not.  So Toyota includes the "fleet" sales into all the numbers, so they have more sold.  But in reality, more people own Honda's... it's all about how you spin it...  that is all.

• Reply 47 of 156
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

this explains a lot. wow

• Reply 48 of 156
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I was at a conference of IT executives last week (the annual Gartner Symposium) and at the keynote they predicted that through 2014, 90% of enterprise users will NOT upgrade to Windows 8. How the mighty have fallen.
  • Reply 49 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

If Apple is a "low volume" player in smartphones, what does that make Microsoft?

A winner:

• Reply 50 of 156
    Here is a guy in denial or he just comes out from under his "ignorance" rock every 5 years or so. Typical comment from a moron.
  • Reply 51 of 156
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

Balmer prefers Microsoft's business model to Apple's. Guess he prefers selling more to earn less too. If Apple is the low volume player, that would make Microsoft a low profit player. As an investor, I prefer the latter. I bet Ballmer would too.

Yes, Apple is making all the profit.  Buy/sell Apple stocks and use the profit to buy iphones/ipads.

• Reply 52 of 156
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

The transition phase of a large company once the founder departs is often a tricky one.  It appears that Apple is, thus far, a lot more successful than MS.

• Reply 53 of 156
    strixstrix Posts: 22member
    S.B. (incidentally the initials seem, to me, to be in the wrong order) increasingly reminds me of Jabba the Hut.
  • Reply 54 of 156
    Ballmer is desperately trying to make his company look relevant in light of Ballmer's failures to capitalize on the growing mobile and social media markets.

Especially shocking on the social media front, considering they were the first really major investor to take a stake in Facebook (1.6% for $250M, way back), and they've owned Skype -- a superb product with a massive user base -- for a couple of years now.

And absolutely nothing to show for it. What a sad joke.
  • Reply 55 of 156

There is no denying that Steve Ballmer is a high volume person - in body mass and vocally.

• Reply 56 of 156
    As Debra Barone would say... "Idiot!"
  • Reply 57 of 156
    8002580025 Posts: 175member

Apple users dismiss Steve Ballmer as a high-maintenance idiot.

Sad to see that he has lost touch with reality and is still fighting mental health.

• Reply 58 of 156
    malax wrote: »
    I was at a conference of IT executives last week (the annual Gartner Symposium) and at the keynote they predicted that through 2014, 90% of enterprise users will NOT upgrade to Windows 8. How the mighty have fallen.

This is the (random) word of mouth that I've heard too. If so, this'll be Vista all over again.
  • Reply 59 of 156
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Um, they should have some follow up questions about windows7.  A lot of large companies try to stay 1 version behind for MS to iron out all the bugs.  Many are in the process of upgrading to 7 and some are just got the 7 upgrade done.  Definitely 90% won't upgrade for another 2-3 years or so.  MS knows the upgrade cycle of the big corporations and have the support period designed around it.

On the other hand, most Apple customers are end users who can't wait to get the latest and greatest.

• Reply 60 of 156
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

pinhead