Microsoft's Steve Ballmer dismisses Apple as a 'low-volume player'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 156
    8002580025 Posts: 175member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider 

As Microsoft revealed that the company sold 4 million upgrades to its new Windows 8 operating system in its first four days, CEO Steve Ballmer dismissed Apple as a "low-volume player" in markets like PCs and smartphones.

I wonder if anyone has told him how many Windows Phones have sold vs iPhones.

Not to mention an effectively no-volume player in the MP3 market.

• Reply 62 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

Balmer prefers Microsoft's business model to Apple's. Guess he prefers selling more to earn less too. If Apple is the low volume player, that would make Microsoft a low profit player. As an investor, I prefer the latter. I bet Ballmer would too.

Haha, Microsoft = low profit player. Well said.

• Reply 63 of 156
    8002580025 Posts: 175member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

There's this river in Egypt..called Denial...

There's this island where they welcome visitors by shouting: "da plane, boss, da plane"

• Reply 64 of 156
    That poor crazy bastard.
  • Reply 65 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

pinhead

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha!

• Reply 66 of 156
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Well, he was saying Apple is a low volume player in computer sales. He's still using the 90's idea that Windows runs the world and Macs are a smaller percentage. When you look at it that way, and neglect tablet sales as computers, he's right. But of course, we all know the world is (has gone already) mobile so tablets must be accounted for. When do you that, Apple beats everyone and MS is not even a jelly smear on the planet.
  • Reply 67 of 156
    lmgslmgs Posts: 63member
    Take a look at the stocks on a ten year chart... MS can have all the volume, but Apple has all the money, and has made a lot more money for it's shareholders..

The charts I looked at had the scale for MS set at every $10 dollars.. The scale for Apple was set at every $100!!!

MS was a little under $30 ten years ago, and still is!!

Apple was around $8, and split 2 for one in February 2005.. It got up to $705, and is now $604...
  • Reply 68 of 156

I guess he didn't read this:

The iPhone is worth more than all of Microsoft:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/08/19/apples-iphone-is-now-worth-more-than-all-of-microsoft/

One Apple product, something that didn’t exist five years ago, has higher sales than everythingMicrosoft has to offer. More than Windows, Office, Xbox, Bing, Windows Phone, and every other product that Microsoft has created since 1975. In the quarter ended March 31, 2012, iPhone had sales of $22.7 billion; Microsoft Corporation, $17.4 billion.

• Reply 69 of 156
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Remember: MS has a history of denying the obvious.

In 1995 they dismissed web browsers (and the Internet) as a passing fad. (While working on IE at the same time.)

In 2007, Ballmer dismissed Facebook as a passing fad. (And made fun of the iPhone.)

In 2010, they were still pushing the stylus as the only way to make a tablet PC usable.

He's just trying to talk MS stock up. Don't trust a word he says, he's quite possibly lying. Either that or he'll change his mind in two weeks.

• Reply 70 of 156
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is the (random) word of mouth that I've heard too. If so, this'll be Vista all over again.

In terms of Surface RT, I think it will be worse than Vista...a complete disaster is more like it. Now, Windows 8 will be successful only after they through a couple of clean up versions to get rid of the "it's not called Metro - It's called Modern UI" thingie. After all, Windows 8 is really just a repackaged Windows 7 with touch screen added and some other window dressing. 

Who am I kidding, it will all fail. But, they are bound to get some traction because of new laptops that will have it pre-installed. 

• Reply 71 of 156
    Yes, low volume when it comes to units but high volume when it comes to dollars.

are you in the business to make money or not?

Google and Amazon sell at cost because they can;t compete.

How about you?
  • Reply 72 of 156
    Hey, He is good for Microsoft, runs the company into the ground, no more Microsoft, the world would be a better place. Some village is looking for it's idiot.
  • Reply 73 of 156
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Microsoft under Ballmer:

• Reply 74 of 156
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wonder if anyone has told him how many Windows Phones have sold vs iPhones.

Eh, the difference is just a rounding error.

• Reply 75 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

Balmer prefers Microsoft's business model to Apple's. Guess he prefers selling more to earn less too. If Apple is the low volume player, that would make Microsoft a low profit player. As an investor, I prefer the latter. I bet Ballmer would too.

You meant you prefer the former, or that you actually agree with Balmer?

• Reply 76 of 156

Ballmer must be this ultra-competitive guy that would push a kid down just to beat him in a race.  (It's an analogy--I don't think he would actually push a kid down).  How can you counter a competitor's making more money by saying that we actually sell more crap for less profit?  Some of the stuff he has said in the past has been bad, but this one really is the worst that I can remember.

The Zune didn't squirt its way past the iPod.  The Kin didn't bury the iPhone.  I wonder what the internal pep rally for Win8 is.

• Reply 77 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by GelfTheElf View Post

I guess he didn't read this:

The iPhone is worth more than all of Microsoft:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/08/19/apples-iphone-is-now-worth-more-than-all-of-microsoft/

One Apple product, something that didn’t exist five years ago, has higher sales than everythingMicrosoft has to offer. More than Windows, Office, Xbox, Bing, Windows Phone, and every other product that Microsoft has created since 1975. In the quarter ended March 31, 2012, iPhone had sales of $22.7 billion; Microsoft Corporation, $17.4 billion.

If I was Ballmer, I would be on the phone every day with the MacBU asking when Office would be ready for iOS.  That could actually be a win for him.  (I'm guessing) low cost to develop.  Low risk--it will sell well.  And high volume--which is the most important thing to him.

• Reply 78 of 156

When is someone going to shut monkey boy up?

• Reply 79 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

pinhead

Where is the penis head shot?

• Reply 80 of 156

Has anybody noticed the trend that Windows users tend to be afraid of upgrades, and Mac users tend to be excited about them? It's a pretty consistent trend I've notice in the non-techy people I know.