Apple pushes back iTunes 11 launch to November

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple announced on Tuesday that it will be pushing back the launch of iTunes 11 until November, citing unexpected delays and the desire to "get it right."

iTunes Logo

The news comes after Apple in September said the new media purchasing and management hub would be ready for rollout later in October, but now the company is delaying release until some time in November, reports AllThingsD.

"The new iTunes is taking longer than expected and we wanted to take a little extra time to get it right," said spokesman Tom Neumayr. "We look forward to releasing this new version of iTunes with its dramatically simpler and cleaner interface, and seamless integration with iCloud before the end of November."

AppleInsider was able to offer an in-depth look at the software's revamped UI, which showed a tidied up, iOS-inspired interface.

Speculation suggests that the recent Apple management overhaul, more specifically the departure of Scott Forstall, played a role in the delay. Eddy Cue, the executive that will take on some of the iOS chief's duties including Maps and Siri, is also in charge of iTunes, which could be a factor in the hold up. It should be noted that the rumors are just that and have little to no supporting evidence.

Some of the new features expected with iTunes 11 are a better layout, faster performance, full-library search, improved iCloud integration, redesigned mini-player and full-screen support, among others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    It probably was going to come out with the latest iPads
  • Reply 2 of 51
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

"among others"

It might be held up by further licensing deals (that also require software development and debugging).

• Reply 3 of 51
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    where is the link of "in-depth look" going??
  • Reply 4 of 51

It's a great decision. It's better to take longer and release a fully finished and polished product than rush it out of the door and face the unhappy masses. Game developers do this all the time. If it's not ready, it's not ready. I applaud Apple in its decision to push it to November. Looking forward to it.

• Reply 5 of 51
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member

Surely it has to do with how it will be used in connection to the new 'Radio' offering.

Of course they will have to make that announcement in Nov. also.

But one way or another they would have to work together.   Does not make sense for 11 to launch and a month or two later another upgrade.

• Reply 6 of 51
    Is it me or are we learning about the names of Apple spokespeople more often than in the past?
  • Reply 7 of 51

So... before the end of November. I read it as between 25-30 November.

• Reply 8 of 51
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I like this part:

"It should be noted that the rumors are just that and have little to no supporting evidence."

Honesty about its information.

It suits AppleInsider.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Makes no difference to me at all.

It's better to get things right, than to just ship by a certain date.

• Reply 10 of 51

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Is it me or are we learning about the names of Apple spokespeople more often than in the past?

The name is always in the release.

• Reply 11 of 51
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm going to add that I definitely will complain if they have not fixed the iCloud/Itunes Match issue. That's not a matter of needing more time, it's merely a matter of not making stupid decisions. Whoever made that retarded decision should be fired, if they aren't already.

I'm not a fan of software updates, just for the sake of updating stuff, especially when it breaks and omits features found it in the previous version.

• Reply 12 of 51

Its good that they get it right.  But don't advertise something if you are not 100% sure that you can achieve it.  Overpromise and underdeliver is microsoft territory. 

That, and it would be nice to see the compatabilities for this software.  OSX versions and Windows Versions required for installation.

• Reply 13 of 51

I have just upgraded to Windows 8 and I use iTunes as my digital media centre. I would much rather they wait and release a proper version than something that's been hurried out the door.

• Reply 14 of 51
  • Reply 15 of 51
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I want an apology letter!!!
  • Reply 16 of 51

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

I have just upgraded to Windows 8 and I use iTunes as my digital media centre. I would much rather they wait and release a proper version than something that's been hurried out the door.

lol, irony.

• Reply 17 of 51
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Love how Apple is taking advantage of the hurricane and the closed markets to shove out all their bad news. 

• Reply 18 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I want an apology letter!!!

"We're very sorry you believe you're entitled to an apology."

• Reply 19 of 51
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    hobbes doo wrote: »
    It's a great decision. It's better to take longer and release a fully finished and polished product than rush it out of the door and face the unhappy masses. Game developers do this all the time. If it's not ready, it's not ready. I applaud Apple in its decision to push it to November. Looking forward to it.

Yep, given the poop that was the iOS 6 release they want to avoid something just as bad.

Now if they would get the crap in iOS 6 fixed. I'd like to not get another bill for $500 in overages in three days when I was at home and allegedly on wifi (even the internal usage meter said I had not been on cell data) again
  • Reply 20 of 51
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Apple made a statement. "we want to get it just right because at the moment there are 1 or 2 really small issues that we know the snivelling fandroids will jump all over and try and make a big thing over".