Briefly: iMessage and FaceTime facing second outage in less than a week [ux3]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For the second time in four days, Apple's iMessage and FaceTime services are down for many users in a number of areas, with North America seeming to be the hardest hit.

Update: Just as with the Oct. 25 outage, iMessage is now forwarding all communication through SMS texts.

Update 2: Apple has update its iCloud status webpage, which notes "some" users are experiencing trouble with the service and that an investigation is underway.

Update 3: As of 3:54 p.m. Pacific, all iCloud services, including iMessage, are online.

iCloud System Status

AppleInsider has been receiving reports of the seemingly widespread outage, and was able to independently confirm that Apple's messaging service is indeed non-functional.

According to Apple's iCloud status webpage, all systems and services are online, however multiple posts on Twitter tell a different story.

It is unclear what exactly caused the outage, but some have speculated that it is related to Hurricane Sandy. The Oct. 25 down time was never fully explained, though services resumed within a few hours.

Apple's iMessage woes appear to be an almost monthly occurrence as of late, with the last system troubles dating back to mid-September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36

Ah ha!  John Browett has unleashed a mega-virus on their servers!  

• Reply 2 of 36
    It's a shame that the status page seems to little more than static HTML.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Yep, crashed my Messages client too. Will there be another VP departure soon?
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Don't know if this is related, but I've been unable to download app updates via iTunes as well.
  • Reply 5 of 36

Ah I was wondering if something was up

• Reply 6 of 36
    The iCloud status page now shows iMessage is down for "some" users. But it's down for everyone I know.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Apple needs to up their web service game across the board. 

• Reply 8 of 36
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

At least we know it wasn't Scott... we all should demand an apology letter.

• Reply 9 of 36
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    They are trying to do too many things in too short of a period.

On top of that, I wonder if the effect of not having a maniac of a perfectionist around is showing.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Yep, crashed my Messages client too. Will there be another VP departure soon?

Apparently based from the comments of a prior thread, people will demand an apology letter from a non-CEO again.  /s

• Reply 11 of 36
    I was just starting to use iMessage again.
    I like my phone to work, so after some difficulty with iMessage earlier on, I stopped using it. (Some of it was due to coverage) but my experience was usually poor even in good service.

Since I got my iPhone 5. I've left it on and been much impressed but lately. It's been poor again. And will probably stop using it again at some point if this continues.

Dont offer a service if you can't keep it running basically 24/7 say 51.9999 weeks of the year.

Anyway, I figure apple will get it together at some point.
  • Reply 12 of 36

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Dont offer a service if you can't keep it running basically 24/7 say 51.9999 weeks of the year.

So… just like iMessage now, then.

• Reply 13 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    andysol wrote: »
    At least we know it wasn't Scott... we all should demand an apology letter.

IF an iOS 6 update had been released you could say that, but its the same crappy software he put out. So it probably was Scott and these is more on the list for why he is out
  • Reply 14 of 36
    I suppose North Carolina would be affected by the storm, so....
  • Reply 15 of 36

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Apple needs to provide me with perfect service even if no electricity is available in any part of the country."

• Reply 16 of 36
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

App store not working here either.

• Reply 17 of 36
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

THIS.

• Reply 18 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Apple needs to provide me with perfect service even if no electricity is available in any part of the country."

...using the power of Jony Ive's MIND!

I guess locating on the eastern seaboard has it's negatives. Maybe build the next one on the moon?

• Reply 19 of 36
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Wait Johnny Ive has't even started yet. It won't be his fault. Maybe Apple knew this was a Scott Forestall issue and that's why they fired him. 

• Reply 20 of 36
    So… just like iMessage now, then.

Lol actually, if you do the math
    That leaves apple with about a minute of down time a year.
    I don't expect it to be that good. But say like 99.5%
    That gives about 44 hours of downtime a year.
    My experience ( IDC about yours) is they haven't exactly kept this.
    I get better uptime from non apple services.

Nonetheless, apple will fare just fine