iPad mini review roundup: Amazing build quality, impressive battery life, high price

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    ROFL at the fandroids screaming that the reviews are all bias. Bunch of spec sheets freaks. I knew that people actually holding the devices and comparing it to the android junk would immedialty see the quality of the mini.

One of the review mention how everthing look better on the mini despite having lesser screen specs... The power of in-cell.
  • Reply 42 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

the iOS UI is more than dated at this point, the display is not even close to the resolution/quality of other 7 to 8 inch tablet devices (or even most modern smartphones) and the price is 'a bit much' for anything but the base model, especially the US $130.00 additional just for GPS/Cellular radios.

Come talk to me when when iOS devices no longer rule Consumer Satisfaction figures with an iron fist year after year, troll. 

• Reply 43 of 130
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    daharder wrote: »
    Nice tablet, but...
    The A5 is now 3 generations behind other iPads, the iOS UI is more than dated at this point, the display is not even close to the resolution/quality of other 7 to 8 inch tablet devices (or even most modern smartphones) and the price is 'a bit much' for anything but the base model, especially the US $130.00 additional just for GPS/Cellular radios.
    When it comes down to it, the iPad Mini is just another variation on the same 5 year-old iOS theme, which for many will be enough, but it does beg the question: Is Apple Just Running Out of New Ideas?

Look at the mini geekbench, its the fastest ipad after the ipad4. Its faster than ipad2 and ipad3... Yet another example on how spec sheets can be deceiving...
  • Reply 44 of 130
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

I wouldn't count on it. Apple updates the bottom end products at a slower rate than flagship products. Look at the Touch, Mac Mini.  Since these are so low margin to start with, the wait longer to update them to extend the time they are selling with cost reduced components.

My plan is get a Mini soon, the give it to a relative when I upgrade.

yes but ... the mini internals are mainly iPad 2 components already. so ... they did what you say already. i think Apple just wanted to get a mini into the market for this holiday quarter, and this was do-able. the main new part that need not change for a V.2 next year is the new outer shell, and the A6 chip will be more cost efficient then too.

Apple just pumped out the surprise spec bump iPad 4 as well. they coulda waited til next year, but didn't. they might go slower on secondary products, yes, but i don't believe Apple thinks any iPad - including the mini - is of secondary importance. just the opposite in fact.

• Reply 45 of 130
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

One.

Only to trolls. And why should Apple care what they think?

you know.. if you say lies enough times it stands a chance of becoming fact.   At least in the world of politics and trolls. 

• Reply 46 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Two. A5-->A5X-->A6

I am disappointed that you forgot to mention A6X to go along with your crazy logic.  3 Generations.. lol.. whatever.

By the same logic the iPhone 5 is  already one generation behind, and the new iPod touch is 3 generations.   And the iPod nano is like 10 generations behind.    

• Reply 47 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Maybe with Ive we'll FINALLY get Boot Camp for iOS so we can run Windows Phone on our iPhones! I can't wait another day!

its comes faster if you hold your breath while waiting for that.

• Reply 48 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

yes but ... the mini internals are mainly iPad 2 components already. so ... they did what you say already. i think Apple just wanted to get a mini into the market for this holiday quarter, and this was do-able. the main new part that need not change for a V.2 next year is the new outer shell, and the A6 chip will be more cost efficient then too.

Apple just pumped out the surprise spec bump iPad 4 as well. they coulda waited til next year, but didn't. they might go slower on secondary products, yes, but i don't believe Apple thinks any iPad - including the mini - is of secondary importance. just the opposite in fact.

The iPad needed an update to the new dock, and it was a bit awkward with the phone having a much more powerful CPU than the flagship iPad, so bump that as well made sense.  It also gives them a chance to reset the iPad release schedule to fall instead of Spring.  You aren't one of those folks that think the iPad is going to get new models again in March?

• Reply 49 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Over last weekend, I briefly played with the Samsung Galaxy S3 at the AT&T store, where I went to determine when they might be getting iPhone 5s in and play with the demo iPhone 5s they have. I also wanted to see what I would be missing if I continued with the iPhone series as compared to the top of the line Android phone. My answer was not much.

I was very surprised at the flimsy feel of the S3, unresponsive screen, confusing interface (chalk that up to inexperience). It is their top of the line, so I hear. It's a $100 less expensive up front for the S3, but that savings on the S3 over the iPhone 5 32GB is quite minor when you take into account the cost of the AT&T contract over 2 years. For the lowest AT&T plan ($40/month), over 24 months for the S3 the cost is about $960+200 = $1160, for the iPhone 5: $960 + 300 = $1260. So, it's less than a 10% premium to buy the iPhone 5 over the S3. 

The Samsung Galaxy II Note is $300 (same as iPhone 5), is on pre-order and does not support text or video messaging. Now why would anyone want to buy the Note, more expensive less functionality than the S3 and even less functionality for the same price for the iPhone 5 32Gb model. 

(Please somebody explain why the Note?). 

if you want some interesting math.. go look at what used Galaxy devices trade-ins are going for at Amazon.com.   Look up S3, S2 and Galaxy Nexus.   Then repeat for iPhone 5, 4S, and 4.   Factor in how old these phones are. I think you will be amazed. 

• Reply 50 of 130

Ironic that the screen shot shows a map but the base wifi model has no GPS function, making it essentially useless for maps even when using applications like citymaps2go that provide downloadable maps.

I would have bought one if it had GPS but I don't want to pay a $150 premium for a wifi + cellular model.

Looks nice though.

• Reply 51 of 130
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    plankton wrote: »
    Ironic that the screen shot shows a map but the base wifi model has no GPS function, making it essentially useless for maps even when using applications like citymaps2go that provide downloadable maps.
    I would have bought one if it had GPS but I don't want to pay a $150 premium for a wifi + cellular model.
    Looks nice though.

Can you explain why maps are useless without GPS?
  • Reply 52 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

I'm guessing that the V.2 model will get the A6X chip assuming it'll be retina.

And V.3 is likely a 64 bit A7X from the 2013 iPad 5.  If you do a two year replacement cycle then its likely either skip a year of retina or skip a year of 64 bit...it's a wash at the end.

I dunno, I thought the same thing for the iPhone 3 and I think the iPhone 1 to 3GS to 4S was the better route.  Next year I expect the phones to be 64 bit which feels like a natural cutoff point for future iOS updates.  Meaning my iPhone 5 will be below that cutoff and a bit like the iPhone 3 getting left behind much earlier than the 3GS.

If you want to skip the initial models I think starting on V.3 is better but that's 2 full years of sitting on the sidelines.

ok... so remind me again what 64 bit buys you other than bloated code size?   Do you expect to see > 4GB of RAM in the iPad 5?  Seriously.   Having 64 bit does NOT make it go any faster.

• Reply 53 of 130
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Literally my only knock on this thing is that I was hoping against it hope it would have gps standard. I guess it was a longshot, since even the flagship iPad doesnt. 

• Reply 54 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Literally my only knock on this thing is that I was hoping against it hope it would have gps standard. I guess it was a longshot, since even the flagship iPad doesnt. 

dont you just love Apple marketing..  they will squeeze out that dollar out of you by up selling you just to get GPS.  I'm sure it happens all the time.

• Reply 55 of 130
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by plankton View Post

For the sake of accuracy, it's $130 more for the LTE/cellular model, which shouldn't be surprising to anybody, as that's how it's always been since the first iPad.

• Reply 56 of 130
    I don't understand people who claim that Apple shouldn't innovate anymore. iOS is OLD. Just because YOU can't imagine an improvement doesn't mean there isn't one.
  • Reply 57 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

The iPad needed an update to the new dock, and it was a bit awkward with the phone having a much more powerful CPU than the flagship iPad, so bump that as well made sense.  It also gives them a chance to reset the iPad release schedule to fall instead of Spring.  You aren't one of those folks that think the iPad is going to get new models again in March?

i think we will see a newer iPad next Spring - IF Apple has something even better ready to offer. given all the competition now, i don't believe Apple will hold improved stuff back for the sake of annual cycles any more. as i said, i think a V.2 mini in the Spring is even more likely. we might see two incremental iPad udpates per year from now on ... iPhones are different, because almost everyone is locked into two year contract cycles anyway. so once a year fits their decision making.

but most of all, i expect an iOS 7 to be unveiled at WWDC that reflects Ive's new attitude. Forestall held back a lot of improvements, i think, because they were based on some of Android's good ideas. and Jobs probably agreed with that. pride + arrogance. but ultimately that's foolish. whereas Ive will possibly grasp their core essence, improve their UI, and make them beautiful too. and iOS 7 will run on all these several generations of devices.

• Reply 58 of 130

Maybe, but not a fan of the of the mini tablets, iPad2 is just fine right now :), I can see this as a move to take the competition to doors of Android as they are the only player presently in the 7 inch space (I don't think Playbooks are still around ;)) and market share might amount to something in the long run when eventually others start matching the quality and design aesthetics of Apple. I think they have enough new products to satisfy consumers for the Holiday season they cant expect people to buy their whole line up :)

• Reply 59 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nishanth View Post

Maybe, but not a fan of the of the mini tablets, iPad2 is just fine right now :), I can see this as a move to take the competition to doors of Android as they are the only player presently in the 7 inch space (I don't think Playbooks are still around ;)) and market share might amount to something in the long run when eventually others start matching the quality and design aesthetics of Apple.

don't forget the importance of the 100 million iPads sold to date. all those apps and content and info that people have added to them over time and can very easily transfer at no cost to a new mini (or iPad 4). that's the same kind of huge "inertia" market advantage that MS enjoyed with Windows all these years, and this time it works in Apple's favor.

• Reply 60 of 130
    I like the Loop's take. Straight and forward, no holding back. Cheapskates have no sense in whatsoever, cause' they have to fix that piss poor cheap crapstic from google, samsuck, or whatever cheap manufactures.