Sales of Google's Nexus 7 tablet approach 1 million per month

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Sales of Google and Asustek's Nexus 7 tablet have steadily increased since its launch, and are now near 1 million units per month.

Asustek Chief Financial Officer David Chang told The Wall Street Journal that Nexus 7 sales have grown from a start of about 500,000 units in the first month. In the latest month of sales, the number was "close to 1 million."

The figures suggest that Google's low-priced tablet has been a moderate success in the tablet market, though nowhere near as popular as Apple's iPad. In its last three-month frame, Apple sold 14 million iPads, which was a 26 percent unit increase from the same quarter a year ago.

Total sales or more specific figures for the Nexus 7 have not been revealed by Asustek or Google. Amazon has also been cagey about revealing sales figures for its 7-inch Kindle Fire tablet.

Nexus

The Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire face stiff competition from Apple's new 7.9-inch iPad mini, which will go on sale this Friday. The iPad mini has a starting price of $329, which places it at a premium over the $199 entry price of the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7.

Google refreshed the Nexus 7 this week by doubling the capacity of the $199 model to 16 gigabytes. a 32-gigabyte model is also available for $249. A model with HSPA+ mobile connectivity with 32 gigabytes of memory is also available for $299.

The Nexus 7 debuted earlier this year in July with Google's Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system. It has been seen as an attempt by Google to counter the Kindle Fire, which runs a forked version of Android tailored by Amazon to sell products through its online store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 113
    sold products or shipped into the channels?
  • Reply 2 of 113
    ko024ko024 Posts: 68member
    "Approach one million" and "close to one million"... Still not one million...
  • Reply 3 of 113
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I think people get this wrong.  Android tablets are comparing themselves to the ipad, but the real threat is the windows tablets. 

Apple fans are going to continu to buy into Apple because Apple has an extremely high retention ratio, but the Android and Windows buyers are all the same. If windows surface takes off, Android is going to be the one suffering from it.

• Reply 4 of 113
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    mac-user wrote: »
    sold products or shipped into the channels?

I was thinking the same thing. Plus how many were returned.

Interesting that 2.5-3 million in 3 months is of note for this device when Apple probably did that in ship to home preorders.

I would love to see a device what really competes with the iPads because that has benefits for Apple but yet again this doesn't seem like it did it. Not even close
  • Reply 5 of 113

Apple appears to be selling about 4.7 million units a month and that is comparing to the Nexus 7 which is just short of a million a month (whatever that means). It still shows there is plenty of room in the tablet market. 

Also shipped vs sold is a weird thing. Companies like Samsung and Asus can only count shipped product because they might do much direct to customer sales. Apple does more direct sales than channel sales, so it is an easier thing for them to report. Either way complaining about shipped vs sold doesn't get you very far.

• Reply 6 of 113
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

I don't really think the Nexus7 marketing had much to do with the iPad to begin with. It was more an answer to Amazon's product. IMO that makes anything close to a million a month pretty darn good, going up against Amazon's market presence and success with smaller tablets and readers.

• Reply 7 of 113
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    herbapou wrote: »
    I think people get this wrong.  Android tablets are comparing themselves to the ipad, but the real threat is the windows tablets. 

The comparisons, be it by themselves or the media, are because the iPad is seen as the target.

But I have to agree with you that at least for the month no one item has a snowballs change in hades and they should be trying to be the best 'other' in the market before going after the currently untouchable winner
  • Reply 8 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Plus how many were returned.

Interesting that 2.5-3 million in 3 months is of note for this device when Apple probably did that in ship to home preorders.

I would love to see a device what really competes with the iPads because that has benefits for Apple but yet again this doesn't seem like it did it. Not even close

The news is that Asustek reported how many they had sold... to Google when shipping into channels. In this case, if it's not been sold to customers yet, the WSJ still could be right, literally, about the report.

• Reply 9 of 113
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    If IOS tablets are selling like hot cakes do we care? I'm not sure that world domination is an interesting goal.
  • Reply 10 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If IOS tablets are selling like hot cakes do we care? I'm not sure that world domination is an interesting goal.

these cheap gadgets pollute the globe.

• Reply 11 of 113

Quote:

This makes sense. Others want to be validated by the fact that the device they choose to use is the most popular.

• Reply 12 of 113
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

World domination is ALWAYS the goal...

• Reply 13 of 113
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

No, I don't think world domination has ever been the goal at Apple. The iPod was an accident.

It's a different psychology than at Microsoft and, now, Google, where they see themselves as under constant threat from "enemies" and, thus, believe they must dominate everything or fail. The problem with that psychology is that, once you no longer dominate everything, as has happened with Microsoft, you've already set yourself up to fail.

• Reply 14 of 113
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Agree. Couldn't care one bit who is more popular.

• Reply 15 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, I don't think world domination has ever been the goal at Apple. The iPod was an accident.

It's a different psychology than at Microsoft and, now, Google, where they see themselves as under constant threat from "enemies" and, thus, believe they must dominate everything or fail. The problem with that psychology is that, once you no longer dominate everything, as has happened with Microsoft, you've already set yourself up to fail.

Agreed.  

If Apple were only about world domination, the iPad Mini would have been priced at $249.  Apple is about making great products and making money while they're at it, not the other way around.  That's why MS and GOOG fall short on user experience, they're about making $$ first and making a few products while they're at it.

I am sure people will argue that Apple is a company and the bottom line is all that matters, and I get it. I do.  But that isn't how they handle their business.

• Reply 16 of 113
    Approach? Its a funny term here! Write a post when they reach 1 million.
  • Reply 17 of 113
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Apple fans are going to continu to buy into Apple because Apple has an extremely high retention ratio, but the Android and Windows buyers are all the same. If windows surface takes off, Android is going to be the one suffering from it.

How does one become an Apple fan? Is this something genetic? And are there separate genes for MP3 players, tablets, smartphones, and computers? Because Apple's market share differs widely in these different markets, so a single gene cannot really explain it. 

• Reply 18 of 113
    They should add the tagline: "Cheapskates love it!"
  • Reply 19 of 113

I always have to laugh about the web statistics of Android devices. Either they are complete junk and no one uses them or their users are too dumb to use a web browser.

• Reply 20 of 113

Quote:

Agree.

Not long ago, there was this debate about what activation means and whether there were more iPhone or Android activations per day. Even Steve Jobs and Apple played that game for a while until Android moved clearly ahead. Yet, is the iPhone suffering at all? Its sales number keeps growing and it remains the premium yet popular phone.