Sales of Google's Nexus 7 tablet approach 1 million per month

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    trumptman wrote: »
    Thanks for being the example.

How does "Apple doesn't care too much about market share. It still has the lion's share on the profit pie. The no subsidy issue really caused problems for the iPad, they only sold 100 MM of them." support your claim that Apple thinks it can ignore the market and doesn't have to respond? It doesn't. In fact, Apple's huge profit share suggests that they're very precisely in tune with the portion of the market that they want.

trumptman wrote: »
    See above. No one has said Apple has to copy. Apple DOES have to respond though. No one is above that. I wouldn't say Apple has been leading the last two years. I would say they started at parity at that point and 12 months later had fallen behind but people didn't mind waiting. Now two years later, they are clearly behind. The stock just plunged below $600. They've just tossed out a couple of execs. People cannot cite past success and simply suggest that the future will be the same trend.

Since your quote above doesn't say anything like that, I'm still waiting for you to show where anyone said that Apple doesn't worry about the market or doesn't have to respond to the market. In reality, they clearly HAVE responded to the market (larger iPhone, smaller iPad, etc). Your argument is completely false.
  • Reply 62 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How does "Apple doesn't care too much about market share. It still has the lion's share on the profit pie. The no subsidy issue really caused problems for the iPad, they only sold 100 MM of them." support your claim that Apple thinks it can ignore the market and doesn't have to respond? It doesn't. In fact, Apple's huge profit share suggests that they're very precisely in tune with the portion of the market that they want.

Since your quote above doesn't say anything like that, I'm still waiting for you to show where anyone said that Apple doesn't worry about the market or doesn't have to respond to the market. In reality, they clearly HAVE responded to the market (larger iPhone, smaller iPad, etc). Your argument is completely false.

Please see my post above for several examples within this very thread.

• Reply 63 of 113
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

A million units at $200-250 a unit is over $2 billion of revenue a month. Since when the hell did we start turning up our noses and ignoring competition only generating $2 billion in sales a month?

Check your math, buddy.

• Reply 64 of 113
    I guess no one is going to comment on how ridiculous the wording is.

"Approaching 1 M per month" is meaningless. If they used to sell 10 per month and now sell 20 per month, they're approaching 1 M.

Obviously, their numbers are nowhere near that low, but it's a meaningless fluff phrase. Why is everyone in Android-land so eager to hide their actual sales figures?
  • Reply 65 of 113
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

"Approaching 1 M per month" is meaningless. If they used to sell 10 per month and now sell 20 per month, they're approaching 1 M.

Obviously, their numbers are nowhere near that low, but it's a meaningless fluff phrase. Why is everyone in Android-land so eager to hide their actual sales figures?

They are doing this to fool the consumers.  Like Amazon. 

• Reply 66 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I somewhat agree on this. There were reports that sales of the Nexus and Fire jumped immediately after Apple introduced the iPad mini. Of course this spike will level out as I'm sure most of those sales went to cheapskates who were only interested in the mini if it was priced as cheap as the others.

This sales jumping is misleading I think. Did anyone say say that sales were dipping weeks before the iPad announcement? How many would be tablet buyers would be waiting to see what Apple announces before making a purchase? Surely sales would dipped because of anticipation, and then 'jump'  afterward. There's just not enough data here to make sense of it. I'm one of those guys specifically in that boat. I won't be use a tablet heavily, but I'm going to wait to have a first hand experience on the mini before making a decision, otherwise I may have already bought a nexus7.

Sames goes for S3 sales 'jumping' after the iPhone 5 announcement. It may very well have, but the statement in itself doesn't say much but provokes a reaction

• Reply 67 of 113

I don't get it. They lie about their sales in the first place, so why not just lie and say, "We've topped 1 million per month"? 

• Reply 68 of 113
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

sold products or shipped into the channels?

You know, Apple also defines goods 'sold' as being the same as 'shipped' to resellers...  It's in the fine print of their quarterly statements if you actually take the time to look.  

• Reply 69 of 113
    Some 1 million people a month are buying a 200$ coaster! Big spenders ;)
  • Reply 70 of 113
    So 1 million people a month are buying a 200 coaster! Ooo lala big spenders ;) at least the plastic back will keep the heat of your coffee from leaving a ring on your table while you surf on your iPad bahahah
  • Reply 71 of 113
    Microsoft and Android are direct competitors. I can foresee MS chipping away at Google's share of the tablet market. But not really so much of Apple's. To be honest, Apple is such a polarizing company that people either want an iPad or they want an iPad alternative. Thats about it.
  • Reply 72 of 113

Quote:

Nice subject change.  But I do agree that specificity would go a long way.

• Reply 73 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Microsoft and Android are direct competitors. I can foresee MS chipping away at Google's share of the tablet market. But not really so much of Apple's. To be honest, Apple is such a polarizing company that people either want an iPad or they want an iPad alternative. Thats about it.

Saying "to be honest" doesn't make something the truth. Just "truthy." Thats about it.

• Reply 74 of 113
    The Android ecosystem is now getting much bigger, with Samsung selling twice as many smartphones as Apple selling iPhones. Factor in all the other smartphone makers, the Android ecosystem is bigger.
    The iPad mini is just a defensive move to slow the Android expansion.
  • Reply 75 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by vqro View Post

I call b.s.  Though I'm sure it's selling well, anyone can say they're selling a million of this or a million of that if no one's checking and if they don't actually publish numbers.  Me, I have over a million friends!  I just don't feel like naming them all, however.  See how that works?

That's just about it.

I have no idea why AI continues to publish stories about such drivel. These people can (and do) say anything. No one other than Apple puts out any actual sales numbers. There is only one possible reason for it: they couldn't bear to reveal the truth.

• Reply 76 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

You know, Apple also defines goods 'sold' as being the same as 'shipped' to resellers...  It's in the fine print of their quarterly statements if you actually take the time to look.  

And, if you actually know anything about quarterly financials and CEO/CFO conf calls around them, you would know that, with the additional channel information Apple always provides, you can come up with a fairly precise number for 'sold.'

Since your tone suggests that you must know, I won't bother to tell you....

• Reply 77 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's just about it.

I have no idea why AI continues to publish stories about such drivel. These people can (and do) say anything. No one other than Apple puts out any actual sales numbers. There is only one possible reason for it: they couldn't bear to reveal the truth.

Homerism at it's finest.  Only Apple tells the truf.

• Reply 78 of 113
    Please see my post above for several examples within this very thread.

Not a single one of them says what you are claiming.

Apple obviously is concerned about what the competition does. They even respond when appropriate. They are very concerned about the market - even though they are generally the leaders.

The quotes you provided say that Apple doesn't worry much about market share. That's not the same thing at all. Apple strives to make high quality, innovative, reliable products and believes that the market share will take care of itself. Specifically, they've made it clear through their actions that they'd rather have a good market share at great margins than have a great market share at low margins. If they are driven by ANY financial metric, it is profits, not share. But, in the end, it doesn't matter. Even if were true that Apple doesn't care about market share, that's not the same as your claim that people were saying that Apple doesn't worry about the competition or the market. Two entirely different concepts.
  • Reply 79 of 113

Originally Posted by muffinman View Post

Homerism at it's finest.  Only Apple tells the truf.

Well, since Samsung has been proven to not tell the truth and Google's numbers suggest they can't be… 

• Reply 80 of 113
    peter236 wrote: »
    The Android ecosystem is now getting much bigger, with Samsung selling twice as many smartphones as Apple selling iPhones. Factor in all the other smartphone makers, the Android ecosystem is bigger.
    The iPad mini is just a defensive move to slow the Android expansion.

I really don't think unit sales automatically equals "bigger" ecosystem. I don't think there are many true tablet apps for android even now.