Apple releases iOS 6.0.1 to fix screen, camera flash and Exchange issues

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday issued iOS 6.0.1 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, a minor update that addresses a number of small bugs, including a screen glitch that would appear with the onscreen keyboard and an issue that would cause the camera flash to not go off.

iOS 6.0.1 is now available to download through the system's Software Update, or through iTunes. The full list of changes included in the software, according to Apple, are:
  • Fixes a bug that prevents iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the air.
  • Fixes a bug where horizontal lines may be displayed across the keyboard.
  • Fixes an issue that could cause camera flash to not go off.
  • Improves reliability of iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th generation) when connected to encrypted WPA2 Wi-Fi networks.
  • Resolves an issue that prevents iPhone from using the cellular network in some instances.
  • Consolidated the Use Cellular Data switch for iTunes Match.
  • Fixes a Passcode Lock bug which sometimes allowed access to Passbook pass details from lock screen.
  • Fixes a bug affecting Exchange meetings.
iOS 6

Word of an iOS 6.0.1 update first surfaced last month when it was said the software was in testing with Apple's carrier partners for the iPhone. That same report claimed that iOS 6.1, a more significant update for the mobile operating system, will arrive after the holidays.

AppleInsider last month highlighted the iOS 6 keyboard graphical glitch, which occasionally shows screen distortion when entering an Apple ID password. The issue is only cosmetic and appears to be limited to the iPhone 5.

Issues related to Wi-Fi with iOS 6 were also widely reported since the launch of the software update in September. In particular, iPhone 4S and third-generation iPad users have said that they have experienced disabled Wi-Fi connectivity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

iOS Updater app, cute.

• Reply 2 of 43
    I have noticed a bug where I get multiple calender entries of single contacts-based events (e.g. birthdays, anniversaries) when I sync the calendar using GMail account settings and the same account's contacts using the CardDAV protocol. "Multiple" here means some 50 or 100 times (which makes that day rather crowded...).
    The bug occurs only in iOS6 on my iPhone 5 and 3GS, but not in iOS5 on my iPad 1.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Anyone else have to download a separate 'iOS Updater" app first? Very strange behaviour.
  • Reply 4 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Anyone else have to download a separate 'iOS Update" app first? Very strange behaviour.

Yep, same here.  

• Reply 5 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philotech View Post

I have noticed a bug where I get multiple calender entries of single contacts-based events (e.g. birthdays, anniversaries) when I sync the calendar using GMail.

That bug affected me and I used a me.com iCloud account and synced the regular way, directly through iCloud.

• Reply 6 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Anyone else have to download a separate 'iOS Updater" app first? Very strange behaviour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Yep, same here.  

"Fixes a bug that prevents iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the air."

Other sites offering more detailed information explain that this download is required first in order to be able to do the actual update.  Not strange, required.

• Reply 7 of 43
    The article mentions that on iPhone 5, normal over the air updates are not working so why do you sound surprised that an App download required. It's pretty smart of Apple to come up with a work around!
  • Reply 8 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"Fixes a bug that prevents iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the air."

Other sites offering more detailed information explain that this download is required first in order to be able to do the actual update.  Not strange, required.

I didn't say it was strange, I just agreed that I have the same app.

• Reply 9 of 43
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

The article mentions that on iPhone 5, normal over the air updates are not working so why do you sound surprised that an App download required. It's pretty smart of Apple to come up with a work around!

No, "smart" would have been properly working software that didn't require a separate new program to fix a bug.

-kpluck

• Reply 10 of 43
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iOS Updater app, cute.

I'm tripping on the icon inside the Settings Update area and the gears in the icon start turning when the update starts downloading.  TOTALLY COOL!

• Reply 11 of 43
    gavzagavza Posts: 19member
    Dang it! Since I updated to 6.0.1 Facebook crashes every time I launch it. Even restarted phone and it still happens.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    gavzagavza Posts: 19member
    Dang it - Facebook now crashes.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Just updated OTA.. very quick to download and install. Loved the spinning gears. From the notes, it fixes the major gripes (of which I havent experienced any). 

Safari seems snappier. 

• Reply 14 of 43
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

I have the app, but now I get the "Unable to Check for update" error.

• Reply 15 of 43
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I updated with iTunes and avoided the new app.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Blame Scott.

• Reply 17 of 43

Does the fix the issues of the delayed notification after an initial vibrate and screen activation?  Been bugging the hell out of me.  

• Reply 18 of 43
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Safari seems snappier. 

I was going to ask if battery life was improved, but as long as Safari has teh snappies then that's all that's important.

• Reply 19 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkart4 View Post

Does the fix the issues of the delayed notification after an initial vibrate and screen activation?  Been bugging the hell out of me.  

Answering my own question.  It seems this issue has been resolved

• Reply 20 of 43
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

• Fixes a bug affecting Exchange meetings.

Does this mean we won't be able to cancel meetings as an attendee anymore?  image