Apple expected to sell up to 1.5M iPad minis over launch weekend

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

All of the subway tunnels leading in and out of Manhattan are below 34 St. The only thing that I can think of is the tram from Roosevelt Island.

The F and N lines from Queens seem to be running into Manhattan fine.

You can see on this updated Subway Map.

http://www.mta.info/sites/default/files/pdf/HurricaneRecoveryMapOct312012.pdf

• Reply 22 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    What's crazy is that would exceed the annual sales of all tablets combined before the original iPad was launched.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Abject nonsense. So ten years from now when tablets are the exclusive means of mobile computing and multitouch desktops are the exclusive means of desktop computing, no one will be using anything but "toys" then. Uh huh.

Toys are legally uncool. Apple products are legally cool. 

But I'd be happy to have that "fact" rendered invalid. 

Some guy gets on a packed transit bus after the SF Giants parade, he's playing solitaire on his iPhone. He is so cool, he couldn't put away his solitaire on a packed bus for just a few minutes. Take away those games, music, movies and you can keep your mobile computing.

• Reply 24 of 44

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Some guy gets on a packed transit bus after the SF Giants parade, he's playing solitaire on his iPhone. He is so cool, he couldn't put away his solitaire on a packed bus for just a few minutes. Take away those games, music, movies and you can keep your mobile computing.

My rebuttal includes hundreds of millions of anecdotes of equal length pertaining to all professions in all businesses where iDevices have either irrevocably changed their workflows for the better or created the businesses themselves.

Funny how cherry-picking to ignore doesn't work.

• Reply 25 of 44
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm no analyst (thank god), but I believe that Apple can sell even more than that, as long as they have sufficient stock to meet the demand. The iPad Mini is launching in 34 countries and the pre-orders did sell out fairly quickly.

I can pull random numbers out of my ass just as easily as any analyst can, and I'm going to say that Apple sells 2.3 Million iPad Minis over the launch weekend.

Exactly. I think Apple only released 1.5million to the public because its a new product category. 

• Reply 26 of 44
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153967/apple-expected-to-sell-up-to-1-5m-ipad-minis-over-launch-weekend#post_2225047"]The F and N lines from Queens seem to be running into Manhattan fine.

You can see on this updated Subway Map.

http://www.mta.info/sites/default/files/pdf/HurricaneRecoveryMapOct312012.pdf

Gotcha, those probably had minimal flooding.
  • Reply 27 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the lines will be very short or non-existent for the mini. I'm not sure why people would want the WiFi only model as the extra $130 seems worth the cost to get GPS and cellular. For me this will be a much more mobil device compared to my iPad 3rd gen which mostly stays at home. I ordered the cellular one which still says mid November in my order detail. I hope it is sooner rather than later as I'm leaving on an extended trip shortly and would rather take that device than my current iPad just for the weight difference. 

$130 seems like a lot for GPS/Cell when I will using mostly from my couch. I don't lost there very often.

• Reply 28 of 44
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

But is this counting the units they've already pre-sold or is this ADDITIONAL units?

Apple counts ALL units delivered to customers. So, yes, anyone who RECEIVES a pre-ordered unit this weekend will count towards how many were sold over the weekend.

• Reply 29 of 44

Quote:

I think the lines will be very short or non-existent for the mini. I'm not sure why people would want the WiFi only model as the extra $130 seems worth the cost to get GPS and cellular. For me this will be a much more mobil device compared to my iPad 3rd gen which mostly stays at home. I ordered the cellular one which still says mid November in my order detail. I hope it is sooner rather than later as I'm leaving on an extended trip shortly and would rather take that device than my current iPad just for the weight difference. 

Yes, I would guess that very few would want the WiFi only version...maybe appealing to light users and those that already have a cellular plan to tether to?

That would mean that iPad Mini demand/sales will be MUCH LARGER for the 4G/LTE versions.

...oh, and also, many will want to play around with it at the Apple Store first then decide whether they'll buy the 7.9" or the 9.7".

• Reply 30 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Yes, I would guess that very few would want the WiFi only version...maybe appealing to light users and those that already have a cellular plan to tether to?

I have never tethered anything. I think you need an additional plan anyway on AT&T to do so, not sure. I do have a question about tethering though. if your iPad is tethered to your iPhone it thinks it is on wifi, right? So is there any chance that it might do some syncing in the background like photo stream, for example, that it normally wouldn't try to do when not connected? Might run up your data charges unexpectedly. I'm not sure how it works exactly.

• Reply 31 of 44
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    mstone wrote: »

For me, I would go for WiFi only; I already have an iPhone and an iPad... I just want to help prop the stock price up!!

In all seriousness though, it really just depends on what you want to use it for. It would be a good bedside device and possibly a meeting note-taking device for me. Some people, it would just be to entertain the kids. Others might try and use it as a phone. What is clear for me though is that I don't want another cellular data plan on top of the fairly high (percentage wise) premium for the modem.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

People called the iPad a "toy" when it first came out.

Strong sales don't mean they're wrong. The Xbox is a toy and it sells by the bazillions. Even if the iPad is *IS* a "toy," so what? If people like it and buy it and use it, who cares WHAT they call it? Calling it a toy doesn't affect what it can and cannot do any more than calling it a "Post-PC Personal Computing Device."

• Reply 33 of 44
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My rebuttal includes hundreds of millions of anecdotes of equal length pertaining to all professions in all businesses where iDevices have either irrevocably changed their workflows for the better or created the businesses themselves.

Funny how cherry-picking to ignore doesn't work.

Really, hundreds of millions? Or was it billions?

• Reply 34 of 44

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Really, hundreds of millions? Or was it billions?

Your point, that I'm making things up, is sort of ruined by the number of iDevices purchased for business, commercial, and industrial use. This information is freely available virtually anywhere, so your refusal to pay attention to it isn't anyone else's problem.

• Reply 35 of 44
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

BUT ASUS IS SELLING A MILLION NEXUS 7s EACH MO . . .

oh wait . . 

But no one actually uses the product since it only has 8G of SSD storage, no camera to take photos/videos.  I STILL have yet to see one in someone's hands actually using it in person.  In fact, the only tablets I've seen people using are iPads.  I see those all of the time.  I guess Android tablets users are too scared to bring them out in public places for fear of getting laughed at.

• Reply 36 of 44
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Strong sales don't mean they're wrong. The Xbox is a toy and it sells by the bazillions. Even if the iPad is *IS* a "toy," so what? If people like it and buy it and use it, who cares WHAT they call it? Calling it a toy doesn't affect what it can and cannot do any more than calling it a "Post-PC Personal Computing Device."

Well, many people call Ferraris a toy, and quite frankly, I don't mind certain toys, just as long as the GUI isn't a gaming console GUi unless it's actually a gaming console.  

Another words  WIndows 8 = X Box.

• Reply 37 of 44
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
  • Reply 38 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sflocal wrote: »
    People called the iPad a "toy" when it first came out.  What moniker are they going to slap on this one that will make them look foolish in the end?

Before I read your comment I was thinking this release is shaping up to be a lot like the original iPad, except now people are saying that a full sized iPad makes more sense instead of saying a "proper" PC makes more sense.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Just another fad…

Stupidly,

Steve Ballmher
  • Reply 40 of 44

Quote:

I have never tethered anything. I think you need an additional plan anyway on AT&T to do so, not sure. I do have a question about tethering though. if your iPad is tethered to your iPhone it thinks it is on wifi, right? So is there any chance that it might do some syncing in the background like photo stream, for example, that it normally wouldn't try to do when not connected? Might run up your data charges unexpectedly. I'm not sure how it works exactly.

Most of the new Data Share plans (like on AT&T and Verizon) include talk, text, data AND tethering.  But yes, it'll consume data from your pre-selected data package.

I believe that Verizon still offers free tethering from the iPad even without the Data Share plan...or not...the dang data plans keep changing.

The best way to tether is to jail break your iPhone (that is grandfathered with unlimited Data) and hope that the network doesn't threaten to throttle you...unless you have Sprint, which gives unlimited data.

Regardless, I would think that the vast majority would want the potential to use cellular coverage even if they don't use it very often.  I can say that almost all of my friends (all 5 of them), who bought WiFi-only regret not getting the cellular model.