AppleInsider Mobile Version Feedback

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014

All posts praising or complaining about the the mobile version of AppleInsider will be moved here so that the Huddler team has a SINGLE location from which to view them.

I'm speaking for myself here, don't just say "I hate it" or "It's great"; explain WHY you think this. Specifics will be awesome, and they'll act on fixing specifics, not generalities.

The toggle is at the bottom of every page, in the footer. 

If it's not yet visible, well… the mobile site might not yet be active to non-beta testers. Should be fixed shortly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

The ruination of AI website continues to expand. image

• Reply 2 of 85

That was a fast return to the old design…

• Reply 3 of 85
    omegaomega Posts: 427member

"I hate it"

• Reply 4 of 85
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm not used to using any mobile-specific apps or mobile versions for any sites that I visit. If I'm browsing the web on my iPad, I usually prefer to visit the full versions of sites through Safari. That's how I've been viewing Appleinsider up until now, when I occasionally do use the iPad. I also bounce around often between Macs and my iPad, and I do kind of like to have the same look and interface, no matter what I'm using.

I only tried the mobile version briefly on the iPad, but one thing that I noticed right away was that I was unable to pinch zoom, in order to make the text bigger. Perhaps that's intentional and that's the way that the mobile version is supposed to be, but I've never really had a problem with viewing the normal Appleinsider through my iPad and using Safari.

I don't browse the web through tiny devices such as iPhones and iPod Touches, but maybe those devices are what the mobile version is more targeted towards?

This last part is not specific criticism of the Appleinsider mobile version, but rather criticism of mobile versions in general. Whenever given a choice in the past, I would always prefer to be viewing the full version on my iPad. 

Since I have a 9.7" iPad, I have a feeling that the mobile version is more suited towards iPhone and iPod Touch users, as I've never really had any problem with using the full version. 

• Reply 5 of 85
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

double.........delete........

• Reply 6 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quoting a previous post doesn't appear to work
  • Reply 7 of 85

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quoting a previous post doesn't appear to work

What do you mean by previous?

• Reply 8 of 85

As in quoting another poster in a reply

• Reply 9 of 85

Could have been just PEBKAC. I'll try again in awhile

• Reply 10 of 85

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

As in quoting another poster in a reply

I hit the Quote button and this changes color.

Simultaneously, this

and this

receive badges and color. You have to then hit one of the two for the quote to appear in the reply box at the bottom.

A little counterintuitive, I know. It's a pretty neat implementation, but when it's different from the way the forum proper does it, it's not right to have.

OH, but I DO like how the mobile site doesn't have a "reply" button that does absolutely nothing at all. And I LOVE how multiquoting is now just contingent on the number of quote buttons you hit!

EDIT: The above was typed and assembled in the mobile site, which was my first post in that format (though it's on my desktop). 

• As previously stated, I like how multiquoting is just contingent on the number of "Quote" buttons you hit. I would LOVE for that to be implemented in the desktop version.

• I like how there is no useless "Reply" button on every post.

• I like the design. The colors aren't bad and it's pretty easy to read through. I wish the button designs on the desktop version were like the mobile version

• I like how, in the formatting of mobile posts, there is no stupid "extra" whitespace put around embedded images. By this I mean that the spaces I put around those images above were manually inserted by me. On the desktop (and perhaps it's only done in not 'rich text' anywhere), embedding an image into a post involves returns hidden from the user until the post is submitted. Only then does it appear and extend the height of your post, meaning you have to go back in if you forgot to take it out or compensate for it. 

Dislikes:

• It automatically goes to rich text for posting. I guess that makes sense, but still.

• Quotes still have the "Quote:" above them and a line of whitespace between "Originally Posted by" and the first line, as well as too much spacing around the quote itself. But that's a dislike for both mobile and desktop, and it's just a personal thing. 

• No moderator tools. And that might just be temporary. I don't do a WHOLE lot of moderation from my mobile devices, either, but that's also because every button has previously required two presses to work.

• Reply 11 of 85
    Where is this mobile toggle exactly? I can't find it anywhere.
  • Reply 12 of 85

Yep like it loads, keep up the good work!

• Reply 13 of 85
    unable to load mobile forum. I'm on my iPhone 5. how can I open the mobile forum?! :no: :\
  • Reply 14 of 85

The toggle is at the bottom of every page, in the footer. 

If it's not yet visible, well… the mobile site might not yet be active to non-beta testers. Should be fixed shortly.

• Reply 15 of 85
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexDeafy View Post

unable to load mobile forum. I'm on my iPhone 5. how can I open the mobile forum?! image image

on iPhone 4S with IO6.01.  Cant figure out how to open mobile forum either.  Whats the direct URL?  Could you configure it to automatically detect client type and switch to mobile forum like you do with the main web page.  It would be a PITA to need to do it manually each time.  

• Reply 16 of 85

Works good so far on the iPhone. The mobile site is a functional subset of the regular site, but I think it's much, much easier to use than scrolling around and zooming, hunting for buttons scattered in the four corners of the page.

• Reply 17 of 85
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So far I've very happy with the mobile forum. The only thing I'd change is have the ability to change to a different page in the thread at the top and bottom of current page, instead of just at the bottom (or at least a way to jump to the bottom quickly).
  • Reply 18 of 85
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    My attempt at replies showed code instead of rich text, which is proper for to my settings.
  • Reply 19 of 85

I like that our avatars show up on the mobile site. Heck, I like the idea of avatars in general.

What do people think about potentially having avatars visible on the desktop version?

• Reply 20 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I like that our avatars show up on the mobile site. Heck, I like the idea of avatars in general.

What do people think about potentially having avatars visible on the desktop version?

I kind of like it without the distraction of the avatars, but that's just me. I think it's cleaner without the graphics.