Apple rolls out OS X updates for Safari, iPhoto and Aperture

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday rolled out a batch of software updates, bringing minor security fixes to its Safari web browser, a number of additions like enhanced Photo Stream support to iPhoto, and a huge change list for Aperture.

Safari

Safari Logo

The Safari update brings the software up to version 6.0.2, and offers minor changes for users running OS X Mountain Lion. Information regarding the update is sparse, but the release notes direct users to Apple's support page for security updates, suggesting the download contains vulnerability patches.

Safari 6.0.2 can be downloaded via Software Update or the Mac App Store.

iPhoto

iPhoto Logo

Apple's consumer level image editing and management software reached version 9.4.2 on Thursday, bringing a number of features like drag-and-drop photo adding to My Photo Stream, enhancements to sharing and minor bug fixes.

From the release notes:
What's New in Version 9.4.2
  • Photos now can be added to shared streams or My Photo Stream by dragging them to "Photo Stream" in the source list
  • Multiple email addresses can now be copied and pasted in the "Shared with" field for shared streams
  • When more than five subscribers "Like" a photo in a shared stream, their names are now displayed correctly
  • Contextual menu now includes an Import command to import all the photos contained in a shared photo stream
  • Addresses the reliability of Shared Photo Streams when switching between iPhoto and Aperture with the same library
  • Fixes an issue that could prevent Microsoft Outlook from being used to email photos from within iPhoto
  • Updated national holidays are available for use in printed photo calendars
  • Includes stability improvements
iPhoto 9.4.2 can be downloaded via Software Update or the Mac App Store.

Aperture

Aperture Logo

Thursday's most substantial update comes in Aperture 3.4.2, which also adds augmented My Photo Stream support, extended sharing options and bug fixes. Changes to the professional level image editor go further, however, and bring a number of fixes like face detection on photos imported from a shared stream, EXIF metadata preservation and improvements to the toolstrip.

From the release notes:
  • Photos received via My Photo Stream or shared streams can now be added directly to other shared streams
  • Multiple email addresses can now be copied and pasted in the "Shared with" field for shared streams
  • When more than five subscribers "Like" a photo in a shared stream, all their names are now displayed correctly
  • The Info panel for a shared stream now includes an Unsubscribe button
  • The status line in the toolstrip now displays the number of new photos added to a shared stream
  • Faces are now properly detected on photos imported into a library from a shared stream
  • Adjusted photos added to shared streams are now published with EXIF metadata properly preserved
  • Addresses the reliability of Shared Photo Streams when switching between iPhoto and Aperture with the same library
  • Custom keyboard shortcuts are now properly preserved when upgrading from earlier versions of Aperture
  • Double-clicking a photo in Viewer-Only mode now correctly toggles to the Browser view
  • Addresses a problem that could prevent the Viewer from displaying images with correct color after Auto White Balance and Auto Enhance are applied
  • Addresses an issue that could cause JPEGs exported with a custom ICC profile to render incorrectly
  • A dialog now displays progress when deleting large numbers of photos using the Empty Aperture Trash command
  • Fixes a problem that could cause duplicate detection on import to fail when the "Auto-Split Projects" option is enabled
  • RAW files are no longer displayed in the Import window when the "JPEG files only" option is enabled
  • Key photos made from panoramic images are now displayed at high resolution
  • Addresses a problem that could cause the Info panel in the Inspector to display the wrong metadata view
  • Fixes an issue that could prevent Microsoft Outlook from being used to email photos from within Aperture
  • Improves stability when working with AVCHD video files
  • Fixes a problem with using the Zoom navigator on a second display
  • Addresses issues that could cause web journals to export incorrectly
  • Includes stability improvements
Aperture 3.4.2 can be downloaded via Software update or the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29

Why not use the iPhoto application icon instead of the iPhoto app icon? Seems confusing this way.

Safari is snappier, but Little Snitch seems to have forgotten that Safari existed; it's asking me about things I resolved months ago.

• Reply 2 of 29

"(NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102)"

• Reply 3 of 29

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Uh oh. Another Huddler error. 

What did you type, and from where did you type it?

• Reply 4 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yup, I'm getting that error as well. I'm guessing it's overloaded servers or something buggy on Apple's end?

• Reply 5 of 29
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Ditto the error for me.
  • Reply 6 of 29

me2

• Reply 7 of 29

i was getting that error for the iphoto, aperture and safari downloads, but strangely i never got the error downloading the xcode update.

I've since downloaded iPhoto and aperture from the website but still can't update safari. every time i try it i get the same error you guys are getting.

• Reply 8 of 29
    The operation couldn%u2019t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102).

Beginning of the slide into mediocrity%u2014Cook needs to fire a few more.
  • Reply 9 of 29

Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Yup, I'm getting that error as well. I'm guessing it's overloaded servers or something buggy on Apple's end?

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Ditto the error for me.

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

me2

Originally Posted by Wayne2612 View Post

i was getting that error…

Ah, an Apple error. My mistake.

Originally Posted by plankton View Post

Beginning of the slide into mediocrity%u2014Cook needs to fire a few more.

Come on.

• Reply 10 of 29
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

me2

me3

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102)

• Reply 11 of 29

Me 4... (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102)

Departing sabotage from Scott?

Just kidding of course. ????

• Reply 12 of 29
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Same error message here.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

I'm still getting the "The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102)" error.

• Reply 14 of 29
    lennylenny Posts: 85member

Getting the same error message.

• Reply 15 of 29
    Xcode also got an update guys.
  • Reply 16 of 29

After update Safari - (NSURLErrorDomain chyba -3001.)(102). Do you know,how it should be reported to Apple Co. ?

• Reply 17 of 29

I HAVE POSTED THIS ON AN OTHER PAGE HERE, PLEASE let me know a solution, Thanks!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153990/update-imac-software-os-x-10-8-2-12c60

REFERENCE: Failure to update vie app store; 

Is this related to the failure to update 10.8.2 via app store?

I tried, but got the following message;

How can I update in an different way?

or, get some other solution.

NOTE:

Again, apple has not tested this very well! 

I have read this problem at many sites, no one knows the answer......... 

• Reply 18 of 29

Ok. How to solve Safari 6.0.2 update problem (he operation couldn?t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102))

There are problems with the servers. Download and install >

Terminal:

sudo softwareupdate --install --verbose

Than copy address

For Mountain Lion (But isn't it the same as Lion?)

• Reply 19 of 29

For Lion: THIS LINK.

Warning: will automatically start downloading.

Originally Posted by Dordt View Post

Terminal:

sudo softwareupdate --install --verbose

Shouldn't need to do that. If we're downloading packages directly, we'll install them manually, too.

• Reply 20 of 29
    I would really like to see Apple bring the tilt-shift filter from iPhoto for iOS over to Mac iPhoto and Aperture.