Apple has reportedly lost ownership of 'iPhone' trademark in Mexico [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Do you know how easy it is to smuggle things into Mexico? There are no customs. You drive right in. There won't be a shortage of iPhones or machine guns.

Machine guns are probably easier to get, because they get them straight from the US govt.image

To be fair they had to buy them from  licensed gun dealers. The Feds just didn't stop them.

• Reply 22 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The iPhone is a misleading name. It's a phone, sure...

You rest your case.

• Reply 23 of 64
    HaHa, apple ain't the power that they thought they were since Jobs died!
  • Reply 24 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Well easy is relative....

I had no idea you'd met my sister-in-law. Do I need to apologize for her actions?

• Reply 25 of 64
    To all--

Mexico is a horribly corrupt nation. Judges are outright bought. Those who can't be bought, are often murdered. You don't read about this in the U.S., because our government likes to keep Mexico 'in our pocket' so to speak - meaning on the so-called 'War on Drugs'.

In terms of who is purchasing 'justice' in Mexico, it's everyone from the economic elites, huge landowners, and industries, to the drug cartels.

I wouldn't be surprised if the underlying motivation for this trademark judgement (other than MONEY) is 'revenge' on Apple for building large manufacturing facilities in Brazil. What's built in Brazil will provide product throughout Latin America. I bet that the Mexican business interests who would have benefited from this business in Mexico are well beyond peeved about Apple's selection of Brazil for this expansion.
  • Reply 26 of 64

in Spanish, "iFone" should be pronounced "ee-fone"

• Reply 27 of 64

Quote:

The iPhone is a misleading name. Its a phone, sure, but is that it's main function?

You want to open that can of worms? Why am I browsing applications, updating OS software, and renting movies from this thing called iTUNES?!

• Reply 28 of 64
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

You want to open that can of worms? Why am I browsing applications, updating OS software, and renting movies from this thing called iTUNES?!

iMuch? iVrything, iMuch and the iMuch Store?

• Reply 29 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

I don't see the big deal here.  Apple products have long ago reached that point wherein if they aren't officially available in a particular country, the only effect is that they arrive in said country later than in the "official" countries.  If all Apple sales were forbidden in Mexico it would make probably zero difference both to their bottom line, and to sales volumes.  

• Reply 30 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

To be fair they had to buy them from  licensed gun dealers. The Feds just didn't stop them.

Yes, but in the USA the very term "licensed gun dealer" is a bit of a joke in that any yokel selling machine guns out of the trunk of their car in a parking lot is technically a "licensed gun dealer" down there. :)

• Reply 31 of 64
    truetrue Posts: 4member

Quote:

Mexican people don't know the difference between an "F" and a "PH? 

Seriously, who is going to confuse iFone with an iPhone? 

What does the ruling mean, that Apple will have to change the name of the iPhone in Mexico or something? That sounds ridiculous, and that is obviously not going to happen.

Screw that, Mexico is not an important country and I doubt that they are an important market for Apple, and I would suggest that Apple also pull out of Mexico. Heck, it wouldn't bother me if Apple were USA only from now on. Apple would still be a very profitable company if that were to happen, just on a smaller scale. The bigger Apple gets, the less the stock market seems to appreciate Apple. Let the foreigners all buy Android phones or Windows phones, because they wouldn't have any other choice.

What a dumb commentary...  and lack of consideration for other users outside the United States.

• Reply 32 of 64

Quote:

To be fair they did not get those machine guns from licensed gun dealers considering machine gun production for civilian population ended in 1986.  If they got machine guns they got them directly from the US government.  If you are talking about Semi-automatic firearms which are not machine guns that is a different story.

• Reply 33 of 64
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brulltyme View Post

To all--

Mexico is a horribly corrupt nation. Judges are outright bought. Those who can't be bought, are often murdered. You don't read about this in the U.S., because our government likes to keep Mexico 'in our pocket' so to speak - meaning on the so-called 'War on Drugs'.

If Mexico, as well as countries in Central and South America, were smart, they'd just pull out of the "War on Drugs", since all it's accomplished is to turn their countries into war zones, and isn't worth the "aid" they get for being a part of it. You'd have thought we'd have learned our lesson with Prohibition, when all that did was line the pockets of organized crime. Now we have the whole prison industry to support as well.

• Reply 34 of 64
    Just remove the name. People know what it is.
  • Reply 35 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Delgado View Post

"Mexican people don't know the difference between an "F" and a "PH?"

Pay attention -- that was Apple's claim when THEY initiated the lawsuit -- that the names sounded the same phonetically.

"Seriously, who is going to confuse iFone with an iPhone?"

No one.  That was Apple's claim when THEY initiated the lawsuit.

Apple tried to sue a Mexican company who trademarked the name "iFone" four years before Apple trademarked "iPhone".  This lawsuit was not originated by iFone, it was originated by Apple.  Apple lost, got counter-sued, and lost again.  Serves them right. 

Congratulations. You just made it to my Troll List.

• Reply 36 of 64

Quote:

iMuch? iVrything, iMuch and the iMuch Store?

Then Much Music would have a field day with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just remove the name. People know what it is.

Or call it (Apple)Phone - unfortunately this Windows computer can't type the right character...

Then Siri can make a joke about how when you pronounce it, it's supposed to have more cow bell. I mean, dimensions.

• Reply 37 of 64

The rest of the world would like to tell you "go f** yourself".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post Heck, it wouldn't bother me if Apple were USA only from now on.

• Reply 38 of 64
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

... Heck, it wouldn't bother me if Apple were USA only from now on. Apple would still be a very profitable company if that were to happen, just on a smaller scale. The bigger Apple gets, the less the stock market seems to appreciate Apple. Let the foreigners all buy Android phones or Windows phones, because they wouldn't have any other choice.

I doubt Apple will be profitable if it becomes an USA only company.  Who in the US is going to buy a $1500 iphone made in USA?  Very few...

• Reply 39 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by True View Post

What a dumb commentary...  and lack of consideration for other users outside the United States.

Yes, I'm selfish, I know. That isn't a crime last I checked.image

• Reply 40 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

I doubt Apple will be profitable if it becomes an USA only company.  Who in the US is going to buy a $1500 iphone made in USA?  Very few...

They can still make the goods in China. Foxconn can fire approximately 500,000 workers, and the products can be sold exclusively only in the USA. Of course the overall profits would take a big hit, but Apple would survive just fine. 

Then nobody would have to worry about any more foreign third world judges or primitive court systems in other parts of the world. 

My scenario is never going to happen though, so everybody can just relax.image