Microsoft said to be testing its own smartphone design

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

I like how whenever Apple does something, Microsoft copies and turns it to 11. Aqua had an extra layer of gloss and animation, so Aero practically vomited gloss, and some pretty elaborate file copy animation. Text-based iPod interface? Our music player will be all about text, so big it goes off the screen! Since OS X became more unified and understated, Windows 8 went full basic.

This has been the problem with MS for decades.  The best example is MS Word, especially the early versions.  Once Apple had established that a GUI was far more effective than the command line, Microsoft's response was "Icons?  You want Icons?  We'll give you icons!"    So they released MS Word with row after row of icons which duplicated everything in the menus, and ended up taking up half the entire computer screen.   To this day I can't believe they are still wasting so much screen space with the horribly cluttered "ribbon" interface.

• Reply 62 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

If partnering with the company formerly known as the "world's biggest handset manufacturer", couldn't jumpstart the dead horse that Mobile Windows Mobile became, then what possible hope do Microsoft have?

Microsoft's support base has fallen to include only a few Tech Sites, who in spite of all their enthusiastic efforts to drum up some sort of interest fail simply because not enough of them buy these phones/tablets/whatever.

• Reply 63 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

right on.. the first phone that’ll experience the blue screen of death.

From what I saw in the large screen TVs in the background during the Surface intro, it's now a pink screen of death. 

• Reply 64 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Can you get an Android phone without a data plan?

Yes sub-$100 PAYG Android phones fit that bill.

Android activations aren't all high end phones, as some will have us believe.

• Reply 65 of 74
    cambocambo Posts: 38member
    Ha ha ha ha haha hahahaha.....Ah ha hahahahahahahahahaha...Ahhhhha ha ha ha ha ha ha....ahhhh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...Ha ha ha ha haha hahahaha.....Ah ha hahahahahahahahahaha...ha ha ha ha ha....Ahhhhha ha ha ha ha ha ha....ahhhh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...Ha ha ha ha haha hahahaha.....Ah ha hahahahahahahahahaha...ah ha ha ha ahhhhha ha ha ha ha ha ha....ahhhh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...Ha ha ha ha haha hahahaha.....Ah ha hahahahahahahahahaha...ha ha ha ha ahhhhha ha ha ha ha ha ha....ahhhh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...Ha ha ha ha haha hahahaha.....Ah ha hahahahahahahahahaha...Ahhhhha ha ha ha ha ha ha....ahhhh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...

I'm going WAYYY out on a limb and make the prediction now that it is going to absolutely SUCK... and NOT sell....

Ha ha ha ha haha hahahaha.....Ah ha hahahahahahahahahaha...Ahhhhha ha ha ha ha ha ha....ahhhh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...Ha ha ha ha haha hahahaha.....Ah ha hahahahahahahahahaha...Ahhhhha ha ha ha ha ha ha....ahhhh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...Ha ha ha ha haha hahahaha.....Ah ha hahahahahahahahahaha...Ahhhhha ha ha ha ha ha ha....ahhhh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...

• Reply 66 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Looking forward to it! I really hope it comes with a kickstand a stylus and a flip out keyboard.

Not like the useless stuff Apple produces.

/s

Yep, the only phone you have to use on a flat surface with it's fold-out keyboard ($100 extra of course), which will be the only thing the tech pundits will love.  Of course it will be better because it will have the full version of MS Office.

• Reply 67 of 74
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Well now. It's about time. Maybe they will be able to make something original. Or yet maybe they will have to copy and paste.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Finally MS is finally getting it - they've got to do both the hardware and software. By relying on licensing of their software to a bunch of 3rd party assemblers, things are doomed to get messy. That's why the PC market is so fragmented today.

It's too late for MS though. As far as I'm concerned Apple's already got my loyalty.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

I switched from Apple (which I thought was a really great product) to Android (which I think is a better product for *my* usage).

I would guess that my web usage might statistically have gone down.

Possible reasons:

My screen is MUCH larger than my iPhones was.  My phone has had LTE for a long time and my LTE in the area is outstanding.  Phones generally tell websites that they are a 'phone' and websites then pitch the 'mobile' version of the webpage to the device.  Mobile pages suck.  They are designed with the assumption that you have a slow connection and a small screen.  Since that gets their ads ignored, many mobile pages change their ads to be more prominent in the mobile version.  My android phone gives me the option to tell websites that I am a 'desktop' computer and get the full normal website I would get on my computer.  That is one of the first things I changed on my phone.  I'm not sure of the methodolgy these tests used, but they might not have counted my web hits at all since I'm not showing up as a 'mobile' user.  My iPhone did not give me permission to set that up, I'm not sure if the newer iPhones do or not or if the majority of iPhone users prefer mobile pages.

Second reason.  Widgets.  A lot of my browsing is repetitive stuff.  Biggies would be news, stock market, and weather.  On my iPhone these were all checked on the web.  On my Android phone all of them are automatically done through widgets so I dont even have to open a browser or go to the web to hunt for the information.

That would be my personal profile and might not represent the rest of Android users but it makes more sense to me than the gist of many of the responses here along the lines of:

Android sales are a lie based on shipping, in reality almost no Android devices have actually been sold. 

Android devices are cheap and can't access the web. 

Android users are too dumb to use the web and the vast majority of them are in third world countries or in caves where there is no wireless reception. 

etc =p

• Reply 70 of 74
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    solipsismx wrote:
    Where are these devices being used if not online?

my hypothesis is most Android devices are really the new "feature phones".

In a way but I'd say it's not that they are poor for online use - the people buying them may not use the browser and just use the device as a phone. Affordable Android phones will mop up a lot of Nokia's marketshare and a significant amount of those people will be the texting and talking crowd. There are actually still people alive today who can survive without a Google search box. Somehow mankind has survived for a few millennia this way. Those people will soon die out but for now, they need cheap phones and Android is the place to go.

Microsoft will try to get in on the entry phones too but I actually think a lot of people will find their UI confusing. I don't see how making their own phone will boost sales and it will just annoy their partners who are stuggling to sell Windows Phones.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    The new Phzune coming soon
  • Reply 72 of 74
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member
    But will it run Flash? [COLOR=A9A9A9]/s[/COLOR]

If the Microsoft Phone's build quality doesn't relegate it to the clearance rack, their schizophrenic, rudderless marketing and branding most certainly will. Is anyone else looking forward to the incredibly awkward ad campaigns and forced celebrity pitches?
  • Reply 73 of 74

I know this is an Apple forum and bashing Microsoft is like some kind of state sponsored sport on here, but I don't think everyone should be so negative so quickly.

I love Apple, everything bar my phone is Apple, but they need some stiff competition in the portable market that Android simply does not provide; Microsoft is dishing it out in spades and Apple is too busy eyeballing Google (and making products to compete directly with them) to notice MS coming up behind them with a novelty-sized bread knife and a thirst for Apple Juice.

The Lumia 920 pre-orders sold out in four days, the Lumia 820 is flying off the shelves, MS Surface RT pre-orders sold out very quickly, HTC 8X and 8S phones have rave reviews and devices from partners like Asus and Lenovo have some frankly amazing devices on offer.

Its not too late to piss on Microsoft's parade just yet.

• Reply 74 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I know this is an Apple forum and bashing Microsoft is like some kind of state sponsored sport on here, but I don't think everyone should be so negative so quickly.

I love Apple, everything bar my phone is Apple, but they need some stiff competition in the portable market that Android simply does not provide; Microsoft is dishing it out in spades and Apple is too busy eyeballing Google (and making products to compete directly with them) to notice MS coming up behind them with a novelty-sized bread knife and a thirst for Apple Juice.

The Lumia 920 pre-orders sold out in four days, the Lumia 820 is flying off the shelves, MS Surface RT pre-orders sold out very quickly, HTC 8X and 8S phones have rave reviews and devices from partners like Asus and Lenovo have some frankly amazing devices on offer.

Its not too late to piss on Microsoft's parade just yet.

Do you have any sales figures?

I'm not convinced that MS is providing the competition you hope for. The devices are nice, but they're still held back by the OS.