'Drop test' finds iPad mini is more rugged than Nexus 7, 3rd-gen iPad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An informal drop test performed by a third-party warranty firm found that despite having an extremely thin bezel, Apple's new iPad mini outperformed both Google's Nexus 7 and the third-generation iPad.

iPad mini Drop Test
iPad mini following face-down drop test. | Source: ElectronicsBreak via YouTube

A total of three tests were performed by protection plan provider Square Trade, two using a specialized apparatus that dropped the three tablets from a height of four feet, and one where the devices were simply dunked in a container of water for ten seconds.

Unlike other tests, the iPad mini experiment utilized a machine to drop the tablets at the same time under similar conditions. In the two tests, the devices were dropped on their corners and front faceplate. The iPad mini fared the best out of the three for the corner drop, suffering only minor aesthetic damage with no screen cracks, while the edge of the Nexus 7's display showed some trauma and the full-size iPad suffered major cracks from the point of impact.

Up next was the face-down test, in which the Nexus saw slight fissures in its display glass, while the screens of the iPad mini and third-gen iPad were significantly fractured. The test did not attempt to turn the devices on after they were dropped.

Finally, the tablets were turned on and submerged in water for ten seconds, after which they were taken out and inspected. The iPad mini appeared to function normally, while the 9.7-inch iPad's home button malfunctioned and seemed to respond sluggishly to touch input. It is unclear how the Nexus performed as the device was quickly glossed over as it had started a reboot during the process, and was declared "unresponsive" by the tester.

Taking all three drops into consideration, the firm gave the nod to the iPad mini.

Disregarding the highly subjective results, the test series gives a fairly reasonable look at the tablets' survivability when dropped from height, though results undoubtedly differ in real world situations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Maybe this will help the stock...
  • Reply 2 of 34
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    And how did it go in the 'Charlie Sheen Throw Test'?

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/15621/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 3 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

I'm sorry.  These tests are just silly and simply cater to little kids with way too much time on their hands and too much money given to them by their mommies or trust fund.

Whether it be an iPad or Nexus, or whatever... these are fragile devices  Treat them as such.  Period.

Do you need any more enlightenment kids?

• Reply 4 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm sorry.  These tests are just silly and simply cater to little kids with way too much time on their hands and too much money given to them by their mommies or trust fund.

Whether it be an iPad or Nexus, or whatever... these are fragile devices  Treat them as such.  Period.

Do you need any more enlightenment kids?

Are you saying that Microsoft putting wheels under their Surface craplet and standing on it (effectively making a skate board out of it) was catering to little kids too. After all the Surface isn't considered a "recreational tablet."

• Reply 5 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I understand an insurance company doing it, but these tests still seem wasteful.
  • Reply 6 of 34

That was stupid.

It's the gadget equivalent of MTV's Jackass.

• Reply 7 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I understand an insurance company doing it, but these tests still seem wasteful.

A real insurance company would've talked about the cost of repair, instead these clowns are running a frickin' promotion to win a gadget. It amounts to nothing but a publicity stunt.

Would a health insurer subject people to a 4 ft.-to-concrete drop test or a drowning test?

• Reply 8 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Are you saying that Microsoft putting wheels under their Surface craplet and standing on it (effectively making a skate board out of it) was catering to little kids too. After all the Surface isn't considered a "recreational tablet."

No... that's okay in my book. :)

• Reply 9 of 34
    Hey, test which once can withstand falling from the effing Empire States building. Meh!
  • Reply 10 of 34
    The world nowadays...
  • Reply 11 of 34

Why does AI lower their standards to report this crap? This is a totally useless article...

• Reply 12 of 34
    A small candidate for scuba diving?
  • Reply 13 of 34
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    As most of us already know, the SquareTrade's drop test was very UNscientific indeed. For example, take a close look at the video in the face-down test. Freeze the video at the instant just before impact. You'll see the Nexus tilted about 30 degrees from level and the iPad tilted about 10 degrees. A 30 degree tilt gives less overall G forces than a 10 degree tilt.

I think they should have suspended each device on a tether, then have it struck at the same relative location by a round (or flat for the edge test) weight swung down from a fixed distance.

But not with MY iPad.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    I think these destructive tests might be sponsored by Samsung, to takeout their frustration against Apples iPads. :D lol
  • Reply 15 of 34

Did they try to blend them?

• Reply 16 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

And how did it go in the 'Charlie Sheen Throw Test'?

The results had the iPad mini WINNING !

• Reply 17 of 34
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    msimpson wrote: »
    The results had the iPad mini WINNING !

Up to forty percent more aerodynamic.

;-)
  • Reply 18 of 34

If the Nexus 7 shut off because it was being dunked in water, I'd say that was a pretty damn smart idea.

• Reply 19 of 34
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Up next was the face-down test, in which the Nexus saw slight fissures in its display glass, while the screens of the iPad mini and third-gen iPad were significantly fractured. The test did not attempt to turn the devices on after they were dropped.

Has Apple stopped using Gorilla glass in its products? This isn't the first time the glass on Apple's iOS products seem to shatter a lot easier than similar products from other companies. Very disappointing if true as Apple was the first company to utilize this tech I believe, using it as a major selling point also. Maybe Apple's build quality is not all its made up to be, when push comes to shove.
  • Reply 20 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackMohack View Post

If the Nexus 7 shut off because it was being dunked in water, I'd say that was a pretty damn smart idea.

It also shuts off if smashed with a hammer.