iPad mini unboxing: super slim, very light

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's new iPad mini takes the company's blockbuster tablet and reduces it down, giving it a more natural weight and size for carrying around.

When the iPad first appeared in 2010, it was derisively mocked by critics for being "just a big iPod touch."

iPad mini unboxing

iPad mini unboxing

After selling 100 million of them, Apple has now released the iPad mini as something closer to being a "big iPod touch," sharing much in common with the new design of the fifth generation iPod touch, although retaining the "big app" functionality of its full size iPad siblings.

iPad mini unboxing

Overall, it seems to fit perfectly in-between the full sized iPad and the iPhone. Unlike "tweener" tablets, it doesn't sacrifice screen area or resolution to do this, nor does it invent a new screen resolution; it's like a scaled down iPad 2.

iPad mini unboxing

Because its smaller with the same resolution, some text is small, particularly icon labels and the clock bar at the top of the screen. This isn't a scaled up iPod touch; if you're looking for a big screen iPhone, the iPad mini doesn't deliver that. It's a smaller iPad.

iPad mini unboxing

The new iPad mini is 7.2mm thick, the same as the new iPod touch and thinner than the iPhone 4/4S/5 (and significantly thinner than any other iPad).

It ships with a smaller, iPhone-style USB power adapter (the 10-12 watt iPad version charges faster) and a USB-Lightning cable. The Smart Cover is sold separately in a variety of colors.

iPad mini unboxing

Critics are comparing the price of the iPad mini to cheaper tablets sold as loss leaders in big to gain market share. Apple clearly didn't design the iPad mini just to reach downward in price. It doesn't feel cheaper than existing iPads; it feels like a more comfortable easily portable size and weight.

It's also significantly thinner. It has the new squared corners and chamfered edge of the iPod touch (and iPhone 5). It shares the Smart Cover design of the larger iPads, but jettisons the former metal hinge for a rubbery joining edge that attaches like a suction cup.

iPad mini unboxing

iPad mini unboxing

With the Smart Cover on and closed, it looks almost exactly the same size as Amazon's Kindle Fire HD (although it's substantially thinner). Flip the lid open though, and there's a lot more screen, albeit fewer pixels.

iPad mini unboxing

iPad mini unboxing

Stay tuned for our in depth review of Apple's new iPad mini. Ask any questions about the new product in the comments below and we'll try to address them in the full review.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Why did you compare it next to the iPhone 4S? No iPhone 5 nearby?
  • Reply 2 of 72

Another UNBOXING video ??? I was wondering if they edited all the unboxing videos for Apple products, and made a Blockbuster movie.. would they have 5 million viewers in one weekend??

• Reply 3 of 72
    How does the fonts look like? More like iPad 1/2 or closer to retina?
  • Reply 4 of 72
    One thing i noticed with mine. it only comes with a 5w charger. Apple should ditch that, 10W or above, all around.
  • Reply 5 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan King View Post

I was just comparing ipad2 to mini... its much better, but no retina.

• Reply 6 of 72
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I just checked out the mini and it looked pretty cool. However, I just can't get past that lack of retina display though. I've become really, really spoiled by that.

Ironically, on the way home, I thought I saw someone using one...until he put it up to his ear.

Nope, I thought.

Just a another silly-looking Galaxy Note user...
  • Reply 7 of 72
    Non retina = piece of cheap shit
  • Reply 8 of 72

Originally Posted by anfboymn View Post

Non retina = piece of cheap shit

Just like the new iMac.

• Reply 9 of 72
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

One thing i noticed with mine. it only comes with a 5w charger. Apple should ditch that, 10W or above, all around.

How about a 50w or 100w charger?

Why make it bigger than it needs to be? Most people probably leave their charger plugged in all the time.

• Reply 10 of 72
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan King View Post

its pretty good but if you have an iPad 3 you will notice pretty quickly its not retina.  But the screen looks very good and after a few minutes you forget about it.

• Reply 11 of 72
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just like the new iMac.

My 27" iMac is still the best looking screen out there.  I guess retina on that size would just be too expensive and the macs are already pretty expensive.

• Reply 12 of 72
    I just went to the store to check it out. It's very important to me that I be able to read journal articles for school so I wouldn't deal with a poor screen. I have to say... the mini's screen is really nice. Sure, it's not retina and I completely agree that Apple dissed consumers by not putting the best inside the hood of the mini, but I think a lot of people have been blowing this way out of proportion. I intend to grab it as soon as its available.
  • Reply 13 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

My 27" iMac is still the best looking screen out there.  I guess retina on that size would just be too expensive and the macs are already pretty expensive.

I think you misunderstood TS. It was his way of saying how ridiculous it is to say the iPad screen is a POS.

• Reply 14 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

How about a 50w or 100w charger?

Why make it bigger than it needs to be? Most people probably leave their charger plugged in all the time.

So why not provide a 1w charger, as most people probably leave their charger plugged in all the time, why make it bigger than it needs to be?

The main issue with charger size is the slow speed of recharging.  My ipad 10w charger, which is identical size to the 5w iphone charger, is far superior.  Using a 10w charger on the ipad3/4 is comical.  The ipad3/4 has a battery that contains more energy than the 11" Macbook Air (42.5 vs 35), but a charger that provides far slower progress (10w vs 45w).  

Not an optimal experience.  

But hey, just keep it plugged in, all the time?   I am sure that works up the easy coast at the moment.

• Reply 15 of 72
    It sounds like a screen compatible to iPhone 3G & S, yet they should have it at 1080p, nothing higher like 1400 on current iPads. Making it close to full size making it retina. Also something that makes sence.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    On the new iMac they did something to the screen finish to reduce the glare. Does it look like they're trying something similar with this?
  • Reply 17 of 72
    For those who've seen it and want retina - if apple had offered retina screen for $70 more, would that have been an easy decision?
  • Reply 18 of 72

About the displey. The white is not white. I would say it's gray. Nevertheless I love the new iPad mini and probably I'll wait for 2nd generation with Retina. 

• Reply 19 of 72
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anfboymn View Post

Non retina = piece of cheap ****

It's that way, because some people don't need it and in order to do a Retina display and put a better processor with a decent battery, etc., it would cost more to make, it would then have to be thicker, heavier and more expensive. Maybe the Retina version will be out next year if they can figure out how to do the things some people are expecting. 

Maybe they are fulfilling some specs for large customers that we don't know about and this will suit them and they figured it was the best of all worlds at this time. Since the resolution is as it is it might also make it easier on the developers with their apps as well, as the way a app would scale down from the 9.7 retina display.

• Reply 20 of 72
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

For those who've seen it and want retina - if apple had offered retina screen for $70 more, would that have been an easy decision?

They would have to put a better processor and bigger, thicker, heavier battery as well.  Would you still buy it?

Personally, I have the iPad 4 and love it.  I can't wait for more high resolution apps to come out to take advantage of the new processor.