marketing using social - Using private name vs business name

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

eg. I am John Smith. I run a company called Fun Designs.

??I was reading that in this case (because my name is not the business name i.e. Martha Stewart), it's best to use your private name for your private FB page and then maybe create a linked FB business page for your business. ??It doesn't have to be linked though. I personally have already created the business page via my personal page so in my case it is linked. Should I unlink it? Is that possible???

#2.) For Twitter should I create a Fun Designs Inc profile using the handle of @JohnSmith? Or should I create a Fun Designs Inc profile with a @fundesigns handle and a separate personal Twitter profile for John Smith -> @johnsmith?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    It depends who you are communicating with but for business marketing, always use your business name because for one thing, John Smith is pretty much the most generic name you can get so people won't have any idea who you are by your handle. Plus, there may be times that you want other staff to manage your Twitter/Facebook pages and you don't want them sending messages that look like they came from you as an individual.

Having your Facebook pages linked is ok but one thing to remember is that if you post personal comments or photos and someone has an issue with the company, they may have the ability to make it personal. In general, I'd say to keep them as separate as possible.

For Twitter, register both names, you won't get @johnsmith anyway but have separate ones.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Thanks

John Smith isn't my real name :)

So, since I already linked the accounts by creating a business page from the personal page should I just delete that biz page? Logout of FB and create a separate biz page using a different email address? Can I use the same email address?

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 6
    One moe thing

You suggested to keep them separate (not linked).

Well it would be just as easy to find me even if the accounts weren't linked.

I don't see how it would be better to unlink them.

Also it's easier to tell people in the personal page to LIKE the linked biz page no?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    success wrote:
    John Smith isn't my real name :)

Ah. In Japan, maybe it wouldn't be so common anyway. ;)
    success wrote:
    So, since I already linked the accounts by creating a business page from the personal page should I just delete that biz page? Logout of FB and create a separate biz page using a different email address? Can I use the same email address?

There is a guide here for separating the accounts:

http://orangecopper.com/blog/how-to-separate-or-unlink-a-facebook-fanpage-from-your-personal-account
    success wrote:
    You suggested to keep them separate (not linked).

Well it would be just as easy to find me even if the accounts weren't linked.

I don't see how it would be better to unlink them.

Also it's easier to tell people in the personal page to LIKE the linked biz page no?

If you are happy to have them closely tied together, that's ok but take businesses like coca-cola or Apple:

http://en-gb.facebook.com/cocacola
    http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Apple-Inc/137947732957611

There won't be any link between those and staff personal accounts. Obviously for small businesses, you want to promote the business so the link will be hard to avoid but I'd recommend taking as many steps to keep them as separate as possible.

It depends on how you use your current Facebook account too. If you are posting photos and having personal discussions with family, I'd try to keep that away from the business page. If people can still find your personal account from the business page, I'd try to fix that too. You will have to use a different email address but it can be at the same domain and signup using your business name, not your own name.

http://gigaom.com/2009/09/04/build-a-facebook-page-for-your-small-business/
  • Reply 5 of 6

Ok so unlink the accounts (delete biz page from personal page). Set up new biz page using a different email address. Gotcha.

Thanks