'Drop test' finds iPad mini is more rugged than Nexus 7, 3rd-gen iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Up next was the face-down test, in which the Nexus saw slight fissures in its display glass, while the screens of the iPad mini and third-gen iPad were significantly fractured. The test did not attempt to turn the devices on after they were dropped.

Has Apple stopped using Gorilla glass in its products? This isn't the first time the glass on Apple's iOS products seem to shatter a lot easier than similar products from other companies. Very disappointing if true as Apple was the first company to utilize this tech I believe, using it as a major selling point also. Maybe Apple's build quality is not all its made up to be, when push comes to shove.

My gripe is steel->aluminum from iPhone4 to iPhone5.

I guess I will still get the 5, but I'm trying to resist... after all, my 4 works perfectly well.

• Reply 22 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    msimpson wrote: »
    The results had the iPad mini WINNING !

That's because it runs on Tiger's Blood.
  • Reply 23 of 34

It's not just about "rugged."

It's about build quality in general, and iOS vs. Android on tablets specifically. 

Guess which provides the Platinum user experience?

• Reply 24 of 34
    Yes any drop tests are childish
  • Reply 25 of 34
    I really don't understand why people would spend that money on a brand new device, go through the trouble to get one, etc. Do they really get the money to do this through ads?
  • Reply 26 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm sorry.  These tests are just silly and simply cater to little kids with way too much time on their hands and too much money given to them by their mommies or trust fund.

Whether it be an iPad or Nexus, or whatever... these are fragile devices  Treat them as such.  Period.

Do you need any more enlightenment kids?

Why does the test upset you so? Ruggedness is something that someone using these devices for professional reasons may very reasonably take into account when deciding which one to buy.  All people, not just kids, drop things.  As such, it's interesting to see how these competing products react to these tests. I don't see a problem with this video at all and and I'm very, very far from being a trust fund kid. image

• Reply 27 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

iPad is far heavier.

• Reply 28 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Why does the test upset you so? Ruggedness is something that someone using these devices for professional reasons may very reasonably take into account when deciding which one to buy.  All people, not just kids, drop things.  As such, it's interesting to see how these competing products react to these tests. I don't see a problem with this video at all and and I'm very, very far from being a trust fund kid. image

No I disagree. You cannot "very reasonably take into account" the kinds of abuse performed in this jackass video. None of the manufacturers promise ruggedness in their advertising, and dropping 4 ft. or dunking in water isn't covered by any of these manufacturers' warranties. Anyone that careless with their tablet should think twice about owning one without something like an Otterbox case.

You, the consumer, should remember that any accidental damage on your part will void the manufacturer's warranty. The kind of devices built to withstand this kind of abuse do exist; I used to work on Tablet PCs (running Windows 98, back in the day), built to MIL-STD specs. They were ridiculously heavy, tough, and expensive because they had reinforced magnesium bodies and were sealed against moisture, but they were the only kind of tablets that you could "very reasonably take into account" treat like that and survive. Anything less than that, and without the manufacturer claiming ruggedness, is not reasonable, period.

• Reply 29 of 34
    Anything is more rugged than the cheap plastic Nexus 7. Mine only lasted a couple of months of light use.

Asus has severe quality control problems. The Nexus 7 glass can become separated from the case, and when that happens the screen can crack right in your hand. Unfortunately, I didn't find out how widespread the problem was until my screen had already broken. The Nexus 7 is complete junk as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 30 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

The results had the iPad mini WINNING !

good, now u can drop your ipad more

• Reply 31 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

Anything is more rugged than the cheap plastic Nexus 7. Mine only lasted a couple of months of light use.

Asus has severe quality control problems. The Nexus 7 glass can become separated from the case, and when that happens the screen can crack right in your hand. Unfortunately, I didn't find out how widespread the problem was until my screen had already broken. The Nexus 7 is complete junk as far as I'm concerned.

yes sir. the rest of the world think so too; hence, they r buying to confirm it.

• Reply 32 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

Schmidt using iPads as Toilet Seats - Sandy Harper

• Reply 33 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

"Drop test' finds iPad mini is more rugged than Nexus 7"

Did you watch the video?

• Reply 34 of 34
    How long before we see Apple introduce [B]iDrop[/B], especially made to be lobbed about like that & so comes through it with flying colours? :D

Really, what a waste of descent electronics. (Of course I'm talking about the iPad/s abused in this) :\