A6X chip in Apple's new iPad has quad-core PowerVR SGX 554 GPU

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The performance of Apple's fourth-generation iPad has received a significant boost thanks to the PowerVR SGX 554 graphics processor hidden inside its new A6X chip.

The GPU, detailed by AnandTech, is a significant upgrade from the PowerVR SGX 543MP4 found in the third-generation iPad released earlier his year. Total GFLOPS at 300 megahertz have doubled from 38.4 in the third-generation iPad to 76.8 in the latest iPad.

"Ultimately it looks like the A6X is the (system on a chip) that the iPad needed to really deliver good gaming performance at its native resolution," author Anand Lal Shimpi wrote. "I would not be surprised to see more game developers default to 2048 x 1536 on the new iPad rather than picking a lower resolution and enabling anti-aliasing."

The A6X was also dissected by the silicon experts at Chipworks which called the chip "a very new beast." They found that the A6X is "not just an A6 with a couple minor tweaks," but is a full 30 percent larger than the A6 chip found in the iPhone 5.

Chipworks

The extra space went to the graphics processing cores, which have been increased from three to four. These GPU cores are also said to be much larger, while the CPU is sized the same size as the one found inside the A6.

Using a high magnification scope, Chipworks looked even closer at the four GPU cores in the A6X and found that each is actually split into 9 sub-cores: two sets of 4 identical sub-cores, plus a central one.

"This could be done to allow for more efficient parallel processing, or to allow for a higher maximum clock rate," the said. "In either case, these GPUs should result in some blazing graphics on your iPad.

They also found that the A6X has double the SDRAM interface of the A6, and that all of the digital cores other than the CPU have redesigned layouts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31

I wonder what the heck that big unidentified square is that is just below the center of the chip... ?

• Reply 2 of 31
    It's the Heisenberg Compensator.
  • Reply 3 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Hmmm, I was thinking it was the solar farm for the green data center - which are the 8 buildings above it next to the dual core CPU complex.

But is hard to tell since this is in iOS6 Maps.

• Reply 4 of 31
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Imagine being shrunk to a microscopic or smaller scale and walking around this chip. The synthetic landscape before you would resemble those of the synthetic landscapes found inside that of the alien ship in Arthur C. Clarke's SciFi classic 'Rendezvous With Rama' and all the excellent sequels written together with Gentry Lee. Best SciFi series ever done I think. I'm not tripping really...just find chipscapes fascinating. I used to draw them with my Etch-A-Sketch as a child.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

• Reply 6 of 31

Its the thing that irritates Samsung.

• Reply 7 of 31
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Its the thing that irritates Samsung.

BIG LOL!

23 posts and he's already struck gold!
  • Reply 8 of 31
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

That's alot of power. I'd love to see something take full advantage of it. I think it might take a while to see stuff that actually realizes its full potential. We're getting to a point where hardware far exceeds the requirements of most software needs. Hell, my iPhone 4S is still fast as ****, which is why I'm not concerned about the mini having an A5. 

• Reply 9 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Imagine being shrunk to a microscopic or smaller scale and walking around this chip. The synthetic landscape before you would resemble those of the synthetic landscapes found inside that of the alien ship in Arthur C. Clarke's SciFi classic 'Rendezvous With Rama' and all the excellent sequels written together with Gentry Lee. Best SciFi series ever done I think. I'm not tripping really...just find chipscapes fascinating. I used to draw them with my Etch-A-Sketch as a child.

• Reply 10 of 31
    Boy is it dead in here.

Not much the haters can say to dispute cold, hard facts. And the facts are the A6X kills the best available GPU's from Samsung and Qualcomm.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That's alot of power. I'd love to see something take full advantage of it. I think it might take a while to see stuff that actually realizes its full potential. We're getting to a point where hardware far exceeds the requirements of most software needs. Hell, my iPhone 4S is still fast as ****, which is why I'm not concerned about the mini having an A5. 

I have to say my iPod touch (g4) seems to have become a bit sluggish starting with the iOS upgrade to iOS 5. I definitely could use a bit of headroom.

• Reply 12 of 31
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Say

my

name.

• Reply 13 of 31

The Heisenberg compensator is an essential component of transporter technology to ensure the integrity of transported matter.

The compensator counteracts effects of the applied characteristics identified in Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. To accurately isolate matter prior to its entry into the transporter buffer, all particles must be located, their velocity observed, and tracked. The compensators allow this to happen.

Actually, I expected such a large chunk of prime real estate near the center of the chip, and practically surrounded with the CPU and GPUs to have some kind of major central purpose; such as a Jobsonian RDF. 

• Reply 15 of 31
    What impress me the most is at the A6X on the iPad 4 doubles the performance of theipad 3 and nexus 10 tablets. They will have to play games at the res of iPad 2 because they can't drive the amount of pixels a retina display requires (even worst for the nexus 10 with greater res display). While the iPad 4 will play games at retina. People think there will be a refresh in march for iPad I don't think so the competition is way behind.

Also now we know why the iPad 3 was discontinued it was not balance, iPad 2, mini and now iPad 4 have the hardware that can drive its display...
  • Reply 16 of 31
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Nice.

• Reply 17 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    welshdog wrote: »
    Say
    my
    name.

[VIDEO]

(I hope this doesn't ruin it for anyone)
  • Reply 18 of 31

Just how Far is this A6X from Xbox 360 and PS3? looks ike its starting to get in the same ball park...

CPU; Xbox 360-PS3

3.2 GHz Xenon processor 3.2 GHz Cell processor 3 dual-threaded cores 7 single-threaded cores

(plus 1 backup core) Maximum 77 GFlops Maximum 230 GFlops

GPU; Xbox 360-PS3

ATI Xenos NVIDIA RSX "Reality Synthesizer" Up to 512 MB GDDR3 RAM (shared w/ system RAM) 256 MB GDDR 3RAM (additional 224 MB can be shared w/ system RAM) 10 MB eDRAM 21.6 GBps bandwidth (256 GBps via eDRAM) 22.4 GBps bandwidth

• Reply 19 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Just how Far is this A6X from Xbox 360 and PS3? looks ike its starting to get in the same ball park...

CPU; Xbox 360-PS3

3.2 GHz Xenon processor 3.2 GHz Cell processor 3 dual-threaded cores 7 single-threaded cores

(plus 1 backup core) Maximum 77 GFlops Maximum 230 GFlops

GPU; Xbox 360-PS3

ATI Xenos NVIDIA RSX "Reality Synthesizer" Up to 512 MB GDDR3 RAM (shared w/ system RAM) 256 MB GDDR 3RAM (additional 224 MB can be shared w/ system RAM) 10 MB eDRAM 21.6 GBps bandwidth (256 GBps via eDRAM) 22.4 GBps bandwidth

Personally, I don't think you can make a spec-based comparison between the Xbox and the iPad hardware.

The Xbox is hauling around a truckload of Win OS and playing games that are un-optimized and graphic heavy.

The iPads are highly optimized for minimum power consumption with tightly optimized HW and SW. Therefore, the iPad will do far more with far less, while the Xbox will burn a lot of power to accomplish less. 

The usual specs don't translate into resultant performance and that's why Apple is not talking HW specs. If you remember when Apple introduced the first iPhone the CEOs of RIMM declared that what Apple was saying the iPhone could do "was impossible."

• Reply 20 of 31
    Personally, I don't think you can make a spec-based comparison between the Xbox and the iPad hardware.

The Xbox is hauling around a truckload of Win OS and playing games that are un-optimized and graphic heavy.

The iPads are highly optimized for minimum power consumption with tightly optimized HW and SW. Therefore, the iPad will do far more with far less, while the Xbox will burn a lot of power to accomplish less. 

The usual specs don't translate into resultant performance and that's why Apple is not talking HW specs. If you remember when Apple introduced the first iPhone the CEOs of RIMM declared that what Apple was saying the iPhone could do "was impossible."

I agree that a spec alone comparison is not the way to go since the consoles can use all the power they need and iPad hardware is driving a higher res display. But based on performance they could be compared IMHO. iPad 4 clock at 78gflops which is what the xbox 360 clock but not as fast as the PS3 230gflops. And the gpu on the consoles look to be close to the 554 MP4 of the iPad 4. Meaning that they are now in the ball park of each other or close to it.

Obviously the next gen cosoles will be beast of 600gflops-1.5tflops but iPads getting parity with the Xbox 360 and PS3 is huge IMHO. PSP vita is less powerful and people call it a console type level on the go.

So the question stands is the ipad 4 at Xbox 360 & PS3 level or at least In the ball park?