Siri serves Fandango movie ticket purchases in iOS 6.1

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The first developer beta of iOS 6.1 includes links to purchase movie tickets through Fandango when searching for showtimes with Siri.

Fandango

In current public releases of iOS 6 and 6.0.1, the personal assistant found on the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch will give users showtimes for films playing in nearby theaters. Directions to the theater can also be obtained, but users are not given a quick way to buy tickets.

But with the first developer beta of iOS 6.1 released last week, Siri now offers integration with Fandango. When theaters are listed, those that support the Fandango service now show a ticket icon to the right.

Fandango

When an individual movie is selected, users are also presented with a link to "Buy Tickets," complete with the Fandango logo. Tapping the link then launches the iOS Fandango application, if the user has it installed.

Fandango

Released in September, iOS 6 enhanced Siri by adding abilities to launch individual applications, find sports scores, make dinner table reservations, and check movie times.

iOS 6.1 remains in beta for developer testing, and no timetable has been given for the software update's release. A minor update, iOS 6.0.1, was issued last week to address a number of bugs related to Wi-Fi connectivity, screen glitches, the camera flash, and Exchange accounts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    As much as I love and use Siri I find that most people don't. Even people aware of Siri's features fail to remember to use location reminders and other such features that much are easier to do with a quick sentence than by having to access an app to input data manually.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I wonder if Apple gets a cut of the sales.
  • Reply 3 of 17

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I wonder if Apple gets a cut of the sales.

That's the last thing we need; more expensive movie tickets. image

• Reply 4 of 17

I'd love to have siri.. but I have a IP4.. and I'm not scheduled to upgrade until March.. even then I might wait if there is a 5s on the horizon. 

• Reply 5 of 17
    Lame. They need to do a deeper integration than that or else it's still useless.. I'd like to be able to buy movie tickets through Siri without getting kicked back to the Fandango app.. I might as well just go straight to the fandango app and buy it from there.
  • Reply 6 of 17

Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

…even then I might wait if there is a 5s on the horizon. 

In October…

• Reply 7 of 17

Does Fandango still sell tickets with $1 fees on top of the retail price? I remember around 10 years ago the did. Kind of surprised they are still around especially when you can buy a couple of movie tickets at your local Costco for $15.

Who are these people who keep this company afloat?

• Reply 8 of 17
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Am I missing it, or is there no integration with Passbook for this? Seems kinda pointless if there isn't.

• Reply 9 of 17
    gqb wrote: »
    Am I missing it, or is there no integration with Passbook for this? Seems kinda pointless if there isn't.

I sure hope there is, even if the Fandango system knows you bought via Siri and sends you your tickets via an email with a Passbook attachment.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Where's Passbook integration? Oh wait, this is Hollywood. I'm sure there'll be a SAG employee manning the cash register, another taking the physical ticket, another serving popcorn, another cleaning theaters, and so on. :)
  • Reply 11 of 17
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

I like Siri, but the new added voice features of Google Search works much faster and it searches the web. Apple needs to upgrade Siri quicker. 

• Reply 12 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Nice improvement, but I hope Apple can eventually integrate this completely into Siri without kicking you to another website, and then automatically spit out a passbook ticket when purchased.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    I can't help but laugh at the past few posters. A quick Google or a brief check with the AppStore would have confirmed that Fandango has Passbook support. I have seen 20+ apps integrated with Passbook already. Do you guys really own an iPhone ? Wait, scratch that, I won't be able to trust your responses anyway.

Siri integration with Fandango is a natural next step. Would be interesting to see more Passbook apps integrated.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    tbell wrote: »
    I like Siri, but the new added voice features of Google Search works much faster and it searches the web. Apple needs to upgrade Siri quicker. 

I'm all for Siri working faster and I really can't stand that there is an extra step for Siri to do anything with a webpage, but I am not a fan of the "real time" analysis of the voice search because it can lead to parsing issues as the SW becomes more sophisticated. I want speech to text to understand what I'm saying which often means parsing the full thought not just word by word. For example, if you start a sentence off with the sound /to?o/ what word does it spell?

Now, one might ague that it doesn't come back with an answer until you have completed and it's parsed your thought, it's just that the text on the screen is updated immediately. But then what's the point? When I use Siri it's usually with my headphones on, without looking at my phone and expecting voice replies for most queries.

To me, what they are advertising is a gimmick which looks to be obfuscating the real and impressive changes they've made to their back end.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    The speed of recognition for Google Search is indeed superior but ultimately it's just a search the web tool. Doesn't really help you get things done directly. Siri uses Google for web search as a last resort anyway. What Siri provides is more specific and transactional so that the user can complete the transaction in a workflow, finalized by the output of a Passbook receipt -- when they are done.

In fact with something like Passbook passes, you can also implement sophisticated cross-promotion between multiple stores owned by different parties and using different payment instruments.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    patsu wrote: »
    I can't help but laugh at the past few posters. A quick Google or a brief check with the AppStore would have confirmed that Fandango has Passbook support. I have seen 20+ apps integrated with Passbook already. Do you guys really own an iPhone ? Wait, scratch that, I won't be able to trust your responses anyway.
    Siri integration with Fandango is a natural next step. Would be interesting to see more Passbook apps integrated.

Yeah, that's not what's being questioned.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Yeah, that's not what's being questioned.

It was, a few posts above yours ! :-)