Most Apple Stores sold out of iPad mini, 16GB model most popular

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A survey of Apple retail stores over the launch weekend of the iPad mini has found that most completely sold out of the device, while the entry-level 16-gigabyte model was the most popular option.

Brian White and his team at Topeka Capital Markets polled Apple Stores across the country to survey demand for the iPad mini, and found that the majority of locations saw stock-outs across all models. they found that nearly 60 percent of Apple retail locations in the U.S. were sold out, but among those that did have stock, 100 percent had run dry of the 16-gigabyte model.

In addition, 90 percent of those with inventory had sold out of the 32-gigabyte capacity in black and slate, while 76 percent sold out of the 32-gigabyte white and silver model.

The poll did find better availability of the high-end 64-gigabyte model. Among stores with remaining stock, just 14 percent sold out of the highest capacity in black and slate, while 10 percent were sold out of 64 gigabytes in white and silver.

Topeka Capital Markets also conducted an exit survey among iPad mini buyers in New York City. That poll also found a preference for the entry-level 16-gigabyte model, which sells for $329.

iPad mini

The exit survey also suggests the white-and-silver and black-and-slate models were equally popular over the launch weekend, as 50 percent of those polled indicated they were opting for each color.

However, the poll did find a difference in capacity preference based on color choice. For example, the 16-gigabyte model was by far the most popular for the white and silver model, while those buying the black-and-slate variety showed more interest in buying higher capacities, particularly the 64-gigabyte model.

The exit survey also found that 48 percent of respondents did not own a tablet prior to buying an iPad mini. White said this suggests that the new 7.9-inch tablet will allow Apple to tap into new iPad customers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    The iPad mini seems to eliminate a lot of full sized iPad costumes, at this the iPad market might flip
  • Reply 2 of 24
    AI: "while those buying the 64-gigabyte capacity showed more interest in buying higher capacities"

Well that's a surprise
  • Reply 3 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

while those buying the 64-gigabyte capacity showed more interest in buying higher capacities.

???

• Reply 4 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

The iPad mini seems to eliminate a lot of full sized iPad costumes, at this the iPad market might flip

So true, I haven't seen many people in full sized iPad costumes lately. Looking forward to see them wearing the iPad mini costumes though.

• Reply 5 of 24
    Too expensive.

/s
  • Reply 6 of 24
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    The statistic about 47% new ipad owners is a good indication that this device is expanding the ipad market. Hopefully it's shrinking the Android tablet market, too
  • Reply 7 of 24
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    Too expensive.
    /s
    How original...
  • Reply 8 of 24
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    But the Nexus 7 sold near a million one month.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Welcome, new customers.
  • Reply 10 of 24

If that was the quote, I too would have a sarcastic comment...however, "those buying the black-and-slate variety showed more interest in buying higher capacities, particularly the 64-gigabyte model." makes perfect sense.  

• Reply 11 of 24
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Im waiting for the 64GB black 4G :D  sadly late november....I played with an iPad mini in the apple store today, sooo light, screen looks nice, not sure what the fuss is about.

• Reply 12 of 24

It just tells me that people still prefer Apple iPad.  The mini is the lowest priced version and were sold out immediately.  I think that a lot of complaint still want to get an iPad because of the huge tablet apps library (not a gigantic phone), but they want it at the price that they want.  The day may come, but just not so quickly.  Personally, I don't think that the slight smaller size iPad-mini makes an attractive form factor.  I am too old to read those tiny characters on the mini.  I am in Jobs camp that he had the right size when iPad was introduced.  

• Reply 13 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Im waiting for the 64GB black 4G :D  sadly late november....I played with an iPad mini in the apple store today, sooo light, screen looks nice, not sure what the fuss is about.

The law of physics also says that the tablet will get a little warm if it has a thin profile, powerful processor and higher resolutions screen.   The mini doe snot get hot at all.  I have a iPad 2, and I am happy with the screen.  The mini, given the smaller size, has better image.

• Reply 14 of 24
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    FWIW, my wife, who is a voracious reader and iPad 3 user, had an almost embarrassing "OMFG" reaction when she picked up the mini at the apple store. She wants it so bad for reading she's considering getting it herself instead of waiting for our ritual family roll-downs.
    This thing will replace the full size as the primary iPad for Apple within 2 years.
  • Reply 15 of 24

I picked up a black 16GB at opening at Best Buy on Friday.. but with the market as it is, I may just sell it and order a white one from Apple. Still new in box, never opened. My mom would prefer white, and it's her Christmas gift. :)

• Reply 16 of 24
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gqb wrote: »
    FWIW, my wife, who is a voracious reader and iPad 3 user, had an almost embarrassing "OMFG" reaction when she picked up the mini at the apple store. She wants it so bad for reading she's considering getting it herself instead of waiting for our ritual family roll-downs.
    This thing will replace the full size as the primary iPad for Apple within 2 years.
    Well anything is possible, but your anecdotal experience is certainly not any kind of scientific study.

While I agree there will be those who prefer using a mini for any number of reasons, primarily as a dedicated e-reader chief among them, the 10" iPad is so much more practical for just about everything else, especially web browsing. Sorry, but for me, Jobs was right that the 10" form factor makes the most sense for current iOS and typical use of a tablet. I personally have no interest in a smaller tablet that shrinks the interface even more than it is -- have you tried to edit text on a 7" screen? let me tell you, it's not perfect on the iPad and its considerably worse on the mini. the same goes for accessing certain websites which are not optimized for the iPad -- and are even harder to navigate on the mini. I don't even want to try to use Pages, Numbers, iPhoto and iMovie on it. And as far as weight goes, Within 2 years the iPad may well be considerably lighter taking away the mini's primary advantage for now.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, the mini will hardly replace the iPad. The difference in portability is simply not striking enough for the loss of screen real estate. Replace the iPod Touch? You betcha. Maybe by next year. But not the iPad. It will always be the flagship of the touch tablet market.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    solipsismx wrote: »
    But the Nexus 7 sold near a million one month.

Impossible for me to get to that number as I'm on Apple Maps¡
  • Reply 18 of 24
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

I'm worried about it killing margins for Apple.  I don't think it will expand the market as much as it will kill margins.

• Reply 19 of 24

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I'm worried about it killing margins for Apple.  I don't think it will expand the market as much as it will kill margins.

They "make $140" on every one they sell. Apple wouldn't sell something that didn't give them, what, 15-20% margins.

• Reply 20 of 24
    gqb wrote: »

If that's what people want, let them vote with their wallets. But I don't think it will replace the 9.7 inch iPad any more than the 13" MacBook Pro "replaced" the 15" model.