Impact the design of new Apple hardware!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I am happy with the way Apple is currently making their products except I do not want to see soldered RAM in the Mini and iMac. I like being able to install my own RAM and I'd like to be able to continue to install my own SSDs (unless Apple keeps up the price and technology which they did this year but did not do last year).
  • Reply 2 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ireland wrote: »

Thanks Ireland! Your post prompted me to comment on both the Mac Mini and the iPad. I expressed my displeasure with the lack of a discrete GPU on the Mini and the size of the SSD on the iPads. Frankly I was less nice about the Mini as I really see Apple as screwing up here simply because they are cheap. Tried to be more diplomatic about the Flash storage issue on iPad.

The sad part here is that it could be another year before we see any results from comments made. I know Apple takes these comments seriously, well at times they do, it is just that it takes forever for them to update products.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    winter wrote: »
    I am happy with the way Apple is currently making their products except I do not want to see soldered RAM in the Mini and iMac. I like being able to install my own RAM and I'd like to be able to continue to install my own SSDs (unless Apple keeps up the price and technology which they did this year but did not do last year).

Then be sure to express those opinions on the site. Apple can't hear what isn't said. By the way I thought you wanted a real GPU in the Mini?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Then be sure to express those opinions on the site. Apple can't hear what isn't said. By the way I thought you wanted a real GPU in the Mini?

I did actually although I went with the minimum of what I expect to happen. While I would love a real GPU in the Mini, I don't think they'll do it. So just allow me at the very least to change my own RAM, and perhaps make the SSD standard or as easy to change as the original uMBP.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    They certainly won't do it there is no demand. Frankly I'm really hoping that we won't have to worry about this when Haswell arrives next year. If any of the rumors are true Haswell could very well end the need for a GPU in these low end machines. Well that is if Apple implements the high end Haswell with the so called GT3 GPU. Supposedly that GPU will be supported by its own memory.

winter wrote: »
    I did actually although I went with the minimum of what I expect to happen. While I would love a real GPU in the Mini, I don't think they'll do it. So just allow me at the very least to change my own RAM, and perhaps make the SSD standard or as easy to change as the original uMBP.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Neat, I will be looking forward to that.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

<snip> I know Apple takes these comments seriously, well at times they do, it is just that it takes forever for them to update products.

Really? My experience and that of a lot of other people is that feedback is a giant black hole, the circular storage file which is there almost entirely for PR reasons to make people think that the company listens. I have been told that Apple takes these comments seriously, etc, etc by company men, but I don't actually believe them, at least in part because of the examples they cite. There were some OS problems that resulted in tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of inputs to feedback which they cite as an example of how well the system works. Well, the truth of the matter is that is that the problem was extensively reported in the press and Apple was getting bad PR as a consequence. In other words, they knew about it from other sources.

I know, "it can't hurt" to make feedback input, but don't be deluded into thinking that Apple really makes major changes based upon it. Apple is fundamentally a top down company.