Review: Apple's fourth-generation iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75

Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

mmm. Still no memory card slot for camera, audio, movie data.

Still not buying.

Go buy from a different company. I think we're all pretty tired of this uneducated whining.

• Reply 42 of 75
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    fireside wrote: »
    After all, time is STILL money, is it not?

If the cable was the bottleneck, it would be a valid point, but it's not true yet. iOS devices use single or dual flash chips, so they can't exceed USB 2.0 speeds yet. Flash chips aren't that fast. Please don't compare them to SSDs without keeping in mind that SSDs bank chips in multiples of 8 in parallel to achieve their speeds.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Go buy from a different company. I think we're all pretty tired of this uneducated whining.

But...but... he knows what's best for everyone doesn't he?? Surely this individual is so incredibly smart and adept to what consumers are looking for that it is just utter amazement that Apple has not hired this clown a$$hat "gifted" individual to run Apple!!

• Reply 44 of 75
    I'm not sure that the iPad 4 isn't a worthy upgrade to the iPad 3.

First of all, more than DOUBLE the speed and processing power is nothing to scoff at.  The iPad 4 is already noticeably faster than the iPad 3 with almost any CURRENT app, but the difference will be even MORE apparent with any NEW apps released here on out designed to optimize the power of the A6X.

Keep in mind the performance upgrade of the iPad 4 to the iPad 3 is even MORE than the performance difference between the iPad 3 and the iPad 1.  That's absolutely HUGE.

And with the 1.2MP front-facing camera, FaceTime can finally be in HD which makes the whole webcam experience INFINITELY better. Anyone that FaceTimes regularly with loved ones overseas or out-of-town knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

The 0.3MP front-facing camera on the iPad 3, which was a hold-over from the iPad 2, was always a complete joke and embarrassment, especially since even the much cheaper Andriod tablet competition at less than HALF the cost had 1.2MP HD front-facing cameras. 

It didn't help either that the iPhone 4S had the same awful front-facing camera, when much cheaper competitor smartphones had even 1.9MP front-facing cameras (which are still better than any front camera on ANY IOS product that Apple has ever released) and bigger screens to take advantage of all that extra camera resolution.

I started using the iPhone 5 for FaceTime when it came out, but despite the HD resolution front camera, you gave up all of that screen real estate of FaceTiming on the iPad. It almost didn't matter the improved camera resolution when the screen was 4" compared to 9.7".

So it's SO nice to finally get the 1.2MP HD FaceTime camera on the iPad 4 as well.

Some people are getting the false impression that the iPad 4 isn't a significant upgrade to the iPad 3 largely because it was released just 7 months after.

However this is just a mental block and has ZERO relevance on whether the iPad 4 is actually a HUGE improvement over the iPad 3.

When you consider the performance improvement of the iPad 4 from the iPad 3 is more than the equivalent of ALL previous iPad model improvements COMBINED, that alone should answer your question.

And not only does the iPad 4 DWARF the power of the iPad 3, but so does the iPhone 5. 

Like the iPad 4, the iPhone 5 has more than TWICE the processing power and speed of the iPad 3, making it obviously apparent that the shelf-life of the iPad 3 has run its full course.

Those expecting iPad 5 in March 2013 are just dreaming. We'll much more likely see iPad Mini 2 with Retina Display and A6 CPU upgrade with 1GB RAM instead.

Keep in mind there isn't a whole lot that Apple can actually IMPROVE on with the iPad 4 at the moment. 

The 2048x1536 Retina Display doesn't need to be improved anytime soon unless Apple embraces the eventual industry standard aspect ratio(s) for tablets which will be either 16:9 and/or 16:10.

However, that's unlikely to happen in the near future as Apple will delay this "new improved feature" as much as the market would allow it to, similar to when they upgraded the screen size and aspect ratio of the iPhone 5 ONLY when it was apparent the public would no longer tolerate another iPhone model with a 3.5" display.

The A6X CPU  certainly doesn't need to be improved on anytime soon, not with its GIANT power and speed improvement over the A5X.

In fact,  we might see only minimal enhancements to the A6X chip when iPad 5 is released eventually, either a year from now or more likely in March 2014.

Perhaps the only significant improvement Apple can make to the iPad 4 in the foreseeable future is adding stereo speakers like those found on the iPad Mini.

And while I agree this is absolutely an important feature and honestly should have been introduced with iPad 1, I'm not sure stereo speakers is enough to justify waiting and denying yourself the far superior experience of iPad 4 over iPad 3 for the next 12-18 months.

And considering Apple hasn't raised the price of the iPad 4 from the iPad 3, there's no reason why you shouldn't RUN to the store NOW to buy the iPad 4 when you are getting SO MUCH MORE for the SAME PRICE.

The iPad 3 is DEAD. Long LIVE the iPad 4!
  • Reply 45 of 75

Switching to widescreen format would be the very opposite of an "improvement".

• Reply 46 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Switching to widescreen format would be the very opposite of an "improvement".

Yes, that's why iPhone will never be widescreen! 

Yes, there's something truly terrible about videos in HD or 16:9 aspect ratio taking up 100% of the screen instead of letterboxed on a 4:3 display and taking up just 75% of the screen!

Yes, it's truly awful that a HD video on a 10" widescreen tablet like the Nexus 10 will display at 10 inches while the same video on my 9.7" 4:3 iPad 4 will barely stretch past 7 inches.  Because that 3 inch deficit makes 4:3 better!

Because every other display standard uses 4:3 instead of 16:9!

Because 4:3 is better suited than 16:9 to our human peripheral vision!
  • Reply 47 of 75

Originally Posted by Buckus Toothnai View Post

Yes, that's why iPhone will never be widescreen! 

Yes, in your little Android world, phone = tablet. Probably because your phones are the size of tablets. But in reality, phone ? tablet. 16:9 has a place. It doesn't have a place EVERYWHERE. There is not one screen ratio that is objectively best for everything. For where the iPad is positioned, 3:4 is best. For where televisions are positioned… well, 16:9 is established; let's call it that. For computer monitors, 16:9 certainly isn't the best, and yet because all people care about is media, that's the only shape display you can buy anymore.

• Reply 48 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, in your little Android world, phone = tablet. Probably because your phones are the size of tablets. But in reality, phone ? tablet. 16:9 has a place. It doesn't have a place EVERYWHERE. There is not one screen ratio that is objectively best for everything. For where the iPad is positioned, 3:4 is best. For where televisions are positioned… well, 16:9 is established; let's call it that. For computer monitors, 16:9 certainly isn't the best, and yet because all people care about is media, that's the only shape display you can buy anymore.

I don't even own or use Android. Maybe as "Global Moderator" you can peek at my user stats and see if the OS I'm using is "Android" or "Jellybean" or whatever if you're so desperate to label me. image

As to your point, "tonton" didn't specify "tablet vs. phone", but in any case I was referring to the EXACT sentiment people had about the iPhone in the 4:3 vs. 16:9 debate.  

I'm sure you were one of those that was all about keeping the iPhone's 3.5" screen and aspect ratio, well, until the release of iPhone 5 and now "16:9 is GREAT for phones...yay!"

Now if you or "tonton" were able to comprehend my post correctly you would see I wasn't specifically advocating 16:9 for the iPad anyway.  

I actually wrote "The 2048x1536 Retina Display doesn't need to be improved anytime soon" and was in fact praising the iPad screen.   

My point is the only change they could make in the near future was if "Apple embraces the eventual industry standard aspect ratio(s) for tablets which will be either 16:9 and/or 16:10", which is exactly like what it did with iPhone 5.

Keep in mind in the context of the post I'm talking about why Apple WON'T release iPad 5 in March 2013, as some other posters has suggested, which is also why I said a change to widescreen for the iPad is "unlikely to happen in the near future". 

What I also wrote is when Apple does make that change, that it would introduce it as a "new improved feature", whereas the "sentiment" would be from Apple's marketing point-of-view.

And if you were honest with yourself about the company you would agree it's true too.  This is EXACTLY how they marketed the widescreen display for the iPhone 5.

"The 4-inch Retina display lets you see more of everything."

"More display means more to see."

"On a larger canvas that lets you see more of every web page. More of your inbox. More events on your calendar. Even more apps on your Home screen."

"For big-time entertainment, iPhone 5 lets you watch widescreen HD video in all its glory - without letterboxing."

The funny thing is that all these arguments that Apple made, which are inherently true, can be applied to the iPad as well.

That's fine that you disagree, though you have a habit of making statements and never offering any reasons. Would love to know WHY you feel 4:3 is better than 16:9 on tablets.

As I mentioned before, any HD or 16:9 material is going to be better on a widescreen display, taking up all of the available real estate.  

Note that on a 4:3 display, not only will HD material take up less actual real estate on the screen (75% of the screen on a 4:3 display vs. 100% on a 16:9 display), but the number of pixels used is lower too, so you get a double whammy of smaller image AND lower resolution.

Now there are also advantages for 4:3 displays on tablets as well.  In my opinion, web browsing is better on 4:3 given the layout of most webpages.  

Particularly in landscape you would be able to see more of how text is usually laid out which is useful for reading articles or forums, etc.

There could be advantages for some apps and games, too, etc., though I think it could go either way and really depends on how that app or game was designed.

Overall, I'm not bothered at all with the 4:3 resolution of my iPad.  It looks fine to me and I'm used to seeing the black bars when I'm watching videos.  

However, if Apple decided to change the iPad aspect ratio to 16:9 in the future, I wouldn't complain either.  Basically I think both aspect ratios could work if implemented well, and it would be nice to watch videos on my iPad in "full-screen" rather than letter-box.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And then what? A Apple branded TV refreshed yearly? The consumer refresh cycle on TVs is at best 6 years. I don't think it's a market that Apple can redefine.

Apple can be a redesign with the a tv, they can upgrade it yearly, they already started a TV.
  • Reply 50 of 75

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Apple can be a redesign with the a tv, they can upgrade it yearly, they already started a TV.

They started a device that people would buy. Not a giant, marginless panel.

• Reply 51 of 75
    I am surprised that ppl think the new connector would not be a reason for a new release. This has everything to do with the "home" ecosystem. When everyone is buying new iPhone 5(s), iPad(s), iPod(s) for the family this holiday shopping season, it makes sense for all of them to have the same connector.

Then when you start adding accessories, they all connect the same. Why is this a mystery?
  • Reply 52 of 75

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I am surprised that ppl think the new connector would not be a reason for a new release.

A reason, sure, but not the reason, nor could it have been alone.

Why is this a mystery?

Selling enough not to discontinue like the 17" MacBook Pro, but not enough make any change at all… Interesting.

• Reply 53 of 75
    Hi everybody! i am brand new on this site,although i read Apple Inside over a year!! So,i wanted to make a question for today but i dint know if it had to be in special thread..so i make it here. cause it has to do with iPad 4th generation.
    As you already seen, iPad 4 is available now in all apple online stores.i wanted to know if that means simultaneously that iPad 4 is available in apple retail stores worldwide..and i ask the same for all apple products..so,when a product is available on online apple stores is also available in retail stores all over the world.
    thank you,P
  • Reply 54 of 75

Originally Posted by cicconegreek View Post

i wanted to know if that means simultaneously that iPad 4 is available in apple retail stores worldwide…

Welcome. This is where it's available right now.

If it's in your country's online Apple Store, it'll also be available in physical stores.

• Reply 55 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil 

Then why does the iPhone 5 have it?

• Reply 56 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    They started a device that people would buy. Not a giant, marginless panel.

Plus they can't use a poetic license to create a new form factor. They really can't make it look any "cooler" than what's already out.
  • Reply 57 of 75

I have the ipad 3 and thought about selling my 3 and upgrading the ipad 4 but Ill wait until the next iPad. I have a feeling Apple is going to make the next iteration a different design possibly thats thinner and lighter. I like the idea that the new iPad is twice as fast, offers a better front facing camera, and comes with the new lightning connector. The competition is so far behind the ipad, its not even funny anymore. I mean the Nexus 10, the latest and greatest Android tablet as people say is nowhere near as polished as the iPad. I'm curious to see how it sells and what critics think about it but it's no iPad. 

• Reply 58 of 75
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Don't bother asking him, he's not good at providing examples to back up his mostly erroneous statements. If you press him, he'll pretend he never said it or that he meant something else.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    quest01 wrote: »
    I have the ipad 3 and thought about selling my 3 and upgrading the ipad 4 but Ill wait until the next iPad. I have a feeling Apple is going to make the next iteration a different design possibly thats thinner and lighter. I like the idea that the new iPad is twice as fast, offers a better front facing camera, and comes with the new lightning connector. The competition is so far behind the ipad, its not even funny anymore. I mean the Nexus 10, the latest and greatest Android tablet as people say is nowhere near as polished as the iPad. I'm curious to see how it sells and what critics think about it but it's no iPad. 

You're going to be waiting a long time, at least a year if not 18 months.

Apple just released iPad 4 just a little over six months after iPad 3.  They're not going to release another full-sized iPad in another six months and they don't have to.  The iPad 4 is LEAGUES better than the iPad 3.  The difference between the two is even greater than the difference between iPad 3 and iPad 1.

I'm not sure what more people want from the iPad at this point in time. The A6X is RIDICULOUS.  Finally we got the HD FaceTime camera.

Really the only thing that's missing are stereo speakers which granted Apple could have added given that the Lightning connector freed up enough space to do so.

However, adding those stereo speakers like what the iPad Mini has is not enough reason for Apple to do a quick refresh in March and certainly not enough reason to wait 12-18 months to upgrade your iPad 3.

When even the iPhone 5 is pawning the iPad 3 you know it's time to trade it in.

The only new iPad we might see in March is a Retina Display iPad Mini 2 with A6 CPU  and 1GB RAM.

I can't see Apple waiting a whole year to give the iPad Mini a Retina Display, not when the Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD 7" and Nook HD all have HD screens NOW and cost $130 less than iPad Mini.

Waiting a whole year to upgrade the iPad Mini to Retina would technically put Apple a year and a half and two generations behind in the rest the 7" tablet market, especially since Google is expected to refresh the Nexus 7 next July.

I think Apple from now on will stagger the releases of the full-sized iPad  and the iPad Mini six months apart, to make sure each product line gets enough attention at launch as well being able to better transition new features on the iPad to the iPad Mini.

For the Retina Display iPad Mini 2 with A6 CPU and 1GB RAM being released in March, I think they are going to offer it at $399.

This is, of course, the price-point of the iPad 2 at the moment, which I think Apple will discontinue after launching the iPad Mini 2.  

By pricing the iPad Mini 2 at $399 instead of $329, that allows Apple to keep the original iPad Mini at $329, which will remain its entry-level model, and generate additional revenue for each Mini 2 to address the added production costs of the Retina Display and the A6 chip.
  • Reply 60 of 75

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Because they feel it's usable where it is. If you think there's a logical dissonance in what I've said, say that instead of obvious questions that can be directly tied to it.