Macs running Apple's unannounced OS X 10.9 appear online

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Systems that appear to be running an unannounced next-generation version of Apple's Mac OS X operating system have begun to appear in online tracking logs.

Analytics

In the last few weeks, AppleInsider has seen more than 30 total visits from machines listed as running OS X 10.9. A handful of machines running Intel-based OS X 10.9 Macs have also been sighted elsewhere on the Web.

While such information can be faked, the growing number of appearances of systems claiming to run OS X 10.9 could indicate that Apple is already testing early betas of the next major update to its Mac operating system.

For the last couple of years, Apple has been upgrading OS X on an annual basis. The latest version, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, debuted on the Mac App Store in July, and OS X 10.7 Lion launched in July of 2011.

Prior to that, OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard launched in August of 2009, while OS X 10.5 Leopard saw its initial release in October of 2007.

It's currently unknown whether the next major version of OS X, which remains unofficial and unnamed, will debut in the summer of 2013, about a year after the launch of Mountain Lion. OS X 10.8 got off to a strong start this year for Apple, with 7 million upgrades sold in less than two months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87
    I've been pushing for the next OS to be called Sabre Tooth.
  • Reply 2 of 87

Originally Posted by freqsound View Post

I've been pushing for the next OS to be called Sabre Tooth.

"Old" "Extinct" "Out of touch". 

The latter, particularly, is not what you want to hear about perhaps the last OS that doesn't drop the mouse.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For the last couple of years, Apple has been upgrading OS X on an annual basis. The latest version, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, debuted on the Mac App Store in July, and OS X 10.7 Lion launched in July of 2011.

No, that's not how this works. One data point doesn't let you say this.

• Reply 3 of 87
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    This non-story again.

The day after the final GM 10.8 is built in Apple, and accepted as GM, they come out with 10.9. Its a relabel. They also fork the build for 10.8.1
  • Reply 4 of 87
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I question whether it will even have a cat name at all this time around.

I do expect it to come by early next year with a release late in the Summer.

"Old" "Extinct" "Out of touch". 

Or a statement that Mac OS X is getting long in the tooth.
  • Reply 5 of 87

OSX 10.9 Calico

• Reply 6 of 87
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Let the cat naming speculation begin. continue

• Reply 7 of 87

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Or a statement that Mac OS X is getting long in the tooth.

Yep. 

Oh, but… they might work that to their advantage. When they launch a mouseless desktop OS, they can say that they knew OS X was on its way out and that the name was symbolic.

• Reply 8 of 87
    I am still waiting for OS X Ocelot. :D
  • Reply 9 of 87
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

I am still waiting for OS X Ocelot. image

I like Jaguarundi

• Reply 10 of 87

OSX Griffin and then we can go with birds of prey OSX Eagle, OSX Falcon and so on

• Reply 11 of 87

If they are running out of big cats & have had Lion, Mountain Lion, 10.9 could be Sea Lion.

Though I expect cat names until at least OS XI myself, & expect 10.8 Mountain Lion to last at least until mid 2013.

• Reply 12 of 87
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It would not really a surprise, though you'd think they would obscure development versions better than that.
  • Reply 13 of 87
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    House cat? Anyone?
  • Reply 14 of 87

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

OSX Griffin and then we can go with birds of prey OSX Eagle, OSX Falcon and so on

I've always thought OS XI would have space names, given the slow transition in OS X toward that. 

• Reply 15 of 87

I think they'll try to avoid OS X Bobcat.

• Reply 16 of 87
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Those are not beta versions. Those are alpha versions. The difference is that they have not been released outside Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC View Post

House cat? Anyone?

I'd back that.  OSX 10.9 - Tabby!

Having spent some time in the Microsoft store in Valley Fair on Saturday, I'd say Apple need to do a whole zero work to stay ahead of Windows.  What a pile of old bollocks Surface is.

I did however amuse myself by opening Powerpoint, typing an offensive word, then closing it!

• Reply 18 of 87
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Forget that, what will they call 10.10? OS X2?
  • Reply 19 of 87
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    It would not really a surprise, though you'd think they would obscure development versions better than that.

Maybe they did by calling it 10.9. Maybe what it will be is something that trying to follow the iTunes 11 look and feel and will be something radical enough to be labeled as OS 11.

anonymouse wrote: »
    I think they'll try to avoid OS X Bobcat.

No software with BOB in the name has ever been successful.
  • Reply 20 of 87

I also wonder if 10.9 will be the last 'Cat' version before XI/11.  If they are indeed moving to both desktop and handheld devices having similar OS's then would that natural transition be at 11?

Likewise if a device were to be running 11 would it show up as 11 or could they be yanking our chain and calling it 10.9 on the machines only to release it as 11!

We have kinda peaked with the big cats, though like the idea of OS 10.9 - Moggy, but that may well get just as many derisory comments as Sabre Tooth may get.

I guess they need go on to the raptors now.