Apple looks to add Samsung's Galaxy Note 10.1, Google's Jelly Bean OS to lawsuit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a motion for leave to supplement its initial infringement allegations against Samsung, Apple argues that the Korean company's Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet along with the Android 4.1 operating system, dubbed Jelly Bean, should be included in an ongoing patent infringement case.

Galaxy Note 10.1
Samsung's Galaxy Note 10.1. | Source: Samsung

U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul S. Grewal on Tuesday heard Apple's arguments at the District Court for the Northern District of California, reports Bloomberg, with the Cupertino company alleging that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 infringes on certain patents and should therefore be added to the ongoing lawsuit.

The assertions against Samsung's tablet are nothing new, though the addition of Jelly Bean could represent a direct attack on Google's mobile operating system, a first for Apple that could open the door to a legitimate court battle between the world's two most popular mobile operating systems.

Previously, the Galaxy S III and the Galaxy Note were both added to the pending case. In early October, Samsung also supplemented its position and added the iPhone 5 to its series of complaints, which are based on Apple's alleged violation of UMTS wireless patents used in its iOS devices.

While the patent suit is under the purview of presiding Judge Lucy Koh, the same jurist who oversaw the landmark Apple v. Samsung trial that ended with a $1.05 billion Apple win, it is a separate case that has yet to go to trial. However, because the jurors found the Galaxy Tab to not be infringement of Apple's design patents in the August ruling, Judge Koh dissolved a preliminary injunction against the device in October. A permanent sales ban may still be in the cards for the Tab 10.1, as the issue may arise in the multitude of post-trial motions from both parties set to be heard in December.

The suit to which Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Google's Jelly Bean were added is scheduled to go to trial in 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    I guess...
  • Reply 2 of 63
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    There's that word we've all been expecting: Google.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gtr wrote: »
    There's that word we've all been expecting: Google.

Except there isn't anything obvious in Jelly Bean that looks like it was stolen. This will likely be one of those cases where it's about complex patents of how the OS works.
  • Reply 4 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The suit to which Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Google's Jelly Bean were added is scheduled to go to trial in 2014.

Isn't that a bit too late to matter? We would probably have the Galaxy Xtra Note Tab 20.1 and Google Licorice Cupcake then.

• Reply 5 of 63
    Couldn't Apple charge Google with inducement also?
  • Reply 6 of 63
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Looks like Apple is beginning to open the missile silos.  Good.  I hope Samsung and Google get what's coming.

To the iHaters, trolls, and Samsung lapdogs, don't even bother flaming me.  You won't get anywhere outside your parents' basement.

• Reply 7 of 63
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Except there isn't anything obvious in Jelly Bean that looks like it was stolen. This will likely be one of those cases where it's about complex patents of how the OS works.

Most probably.

But, win or lose, it's guaranteed to be entertaining!
  • Reply 8 of 63

Give it a break Apple.  Enough already with the petty lawsuits.  If you invented the door knob, you'd want to patent it. Even your customers had enough.

• Reply 9 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Most probably.

But, win or lose, it's guaranteed to be entertaining!

I am sure it will be very entertaining.  Eagerly waiting for it to start

• Reply 10 of 63
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickApple View Post

Give it a break Apple.  Enough already with the petty lawsuits.  If you invented the door knob, you'd want to patent it. Even your customers had enough.

Darn tooting if I invented the door knob I would patent it...and any variation I can think of.

Just because it 'seems' easy and obvious does not make it so. Just as an excersize, off the top of your head, can you describe the inner workings of a door latch and how it works?

Yes, this customer had enough of Apple... enough to buy a rMBP and say wow what a computer!

• Reply 11 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickApple View Post

Maybe you have had enough but not all customers have had enough, what we have had enough is these assho*** copying Apples stuff.

• Reply 12 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

Maybe you have had enough but not all customers have had enough, what we have had enough is these assho*** copying Apples stuff.

Good artists copy, great artists steal image

• Reply 13 of 63
    I love the iWorshippers. You have this novel idea that everyone copies Apple. Got a flash news update for you. Apple steals a ton of their ideas and then claim them as their own.
    You might want to prepare yourselves for the ass kicking Apple is going to get when the USPTO grants Hoogle their Notification Center patent. You know, the same Notification Center you find on every ios and mac device now. The one Apple blatantly copied almost verbatum from the patent filing. Gonna be funny watching you guys whine and bitch, just like you do every time a judge rejects any Apple claim.
  • Reply 14 of 63

Originally Posted by fliberate View Post

Good artists copy, great artists steal image

Intelligent people know the truth. Trolls misuse quotes.

Oh, but that fits a rule.

• Reply 15 of 63

I just switched to android from Apple on everything except my laptop. I just enjoy the variety of hardware and after being a iPhone/ipad user from when they were first introduced (and every version since), I just enjoy the choice of hardware/software. To me the android based stuff just works better - but thats me. Particularly after using my Galaxy Note II running jellybean - no way i would go back to the iPhone. Nexus 7 - same thing just better than my ipad or the mini (which was the first apple product I didn't buy).

These lawsuits will go on for ever but I think Apple is behind the curve now. Laptop and MAC OS X is still supreme though. 

• Reply 16 of 63

In looking at the posted image, I am not thinking that the UI is that similar.  And I am as big a fanboy as anyone.

• Reply 17 of 63
    Here's an idea Apple, start using all that suing money for something that will keep customers happy like maybe quit charging us a $100 more for 16GB more Flash memory in the iPads. How long will they keep that lame price point on those things?? Come on, we all know that flash memory is getting cheaper everyday. I'm sorry but Apple really needs to quit this same old crap that their sh*t don't stink and they will get away with anything they want. I really hope the iPad Mini is a flop because Apple priced it poorly compared to competitors and even it's own products. Don't even get me started on all their overpriced adapters you need for anything you're trying to connect to an Apple product. I've had Macs since '95 and I'm starting to lose faith in Apple and it's big head. I'm so tired too hearing about how Apple might not allow this or that in the App Store, come on, really block better options for your customers??? Their new Maps is pretty but it sucks.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    yep agree, its BS that Samsung is continuing the copying...innovate or get out!
  • Reply 19 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

• Reply 20 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I know I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing - Socrates