AppleInsider's newly redesigned mobile forums now live

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

AppleInsider and Huddler have been hard at work updating the mobile forums for our readers, and we are pleased to announce that as of Friday the new redesign is live.

Forum members can access the refreshed layout by navigating to the bottom of the main forums page on their mobile devices and clicking on the "Mobile" button. To toggle back to the traditional view, simply click on the "Desktop" button.

Mobile Redesign

Our forum moderator Tallest Skil has started a thread regarding the changes made in the mobile redesign, and members are encouraged to click here to offer feedback and comments.

Mobile Site

The new mobile forums gives readers a cleaner, mobile-centric view that is more in line with the overall AppleInsider site design. Our goal was to create a seamless transition between the mobile frontpage and forums so that casual readers and stalwart forum members alike would feel at home browsing content on either page.

We hope you enjoy the new layout as much as we do, and look forward to your feedback.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

It's actually pretty good! I hope a few features slip over to the desktop version of the forums, such as one-button multiquoting. 

Maybe since we have an article thread about the redesign itself, it would be okay to post any comments, complaints, or bugs you find here, as well. But splitting things up always becomes a mess… If you have a concrete idea for improvement, post it in the thread in Feedback. This thread can then be designated for the simple "I hate it"/"I love it" comments.

• Reply 2 of 14
    For the life of me I cannot find that toggle switch on my iPhone 4 ... I'm still looking at the old desktop view :(

I captured a screen shot to show you but I can't seem to upload or paste that for you either.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I'm logged in and don't see the mobile option at all.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I'm logged in and don't see the mobile option at all.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

That was the fastest beta testing I've ever been involved with.image

• Reply 6 of 14
    couldn't be able to open mobile version forum for iPhone. can u give me the link where I can open the mobile version forum? I'm on iPhone 5. :\
  • Reply 7 of 14

The toggle is at the bottom of every page, in the footer. 

If it's not yet visible, well… the mobile site might not yet be active to non-beta testers. Should be fixed shortly.

• Reply 8 of 14
    It's not on the page itself, I'm on iPhone 4, need to have it automatic.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The toggle is at the bottom of every page, in the footer. 

If it's not yet visible, well… the mobile site might not yet be active to non-beta testers. Should be fixed shortly.

What does your mobile site URL look like?

• Reply 10 of 14

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

What does your mobile site URL look like?

The same.

So if people aren't seeing the toggle, you're not going to be able to get there manually. And that just means it's not live for everyone yet.

Additionally, if you have tabs open in the desktop (or vice versa) and you then switch to mobile in a newer tab, no changes you make in the older tabs will commit. You'll have to reload. Lost a post once doing that… 

• Reply 11 of 14
    Still not there. What about the beta, is the public coming soon.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    What about the frequent desktop site layout issues and the low rent advertising for wrinkle bloody cream - the layout is confusing with far too much whitespace.

• Reply 13 of 14
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

every day I check for this feature.  you tease! ;-)

• Reply 14 of 14
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member
    forums.appleinsider.com just brings up the desktop version. What's the url for the MOBILE version please?