Apple's Eddy Cue joins Ferrari board of directors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Eddy Cue, Apple's head of Internet software and services, has joined the Ferrari board of directors, in a move that could hint that Apple is interested in making devices for users' vehicles.

Ferrari announced in a statement on Wednesday that Cue has joined its board and will aid with his experience in Internet-based commerce. Further details on his role were not provided.

"I am pleased and proud to become a member of the board," Cue said in a statement. "I have personally dreamed of owning a Ferrari since I was 8 years old and have been lucky to be an owner for the past 5 years. I continue to be awed by the world-class design and engineering that only Ferrari can do."

Cue has long been in charge of Apple's iTunes and iBooks stores. In a recent executive shakeup, he has also taken over responsibility for Siri and iOS Maps.

"I am delighted that Eddy Cue, one of the main driving forces behind Apple's range of revolutionary products, has now joined our board," said Ferrari Chairman Luca di Montezemolo. "His huge experience in the dynamic, innovative world of the Internet will be of great assistance to us."

Eddy Cue

Apple has long showed interest in having a greater presence in users' cars, though to date it hasn't made any car-centric devices. One car-related patent discovered by AppleInsider earlier this year described a system that would sync an iPhone with a vehicle, sharing information such as contacts and locations.

In March, it was reported that Apple was looking to hire automotive engineers in China for an undisclosed product. According to a job listing, Apple was looking for a supervisor "with experience in CNC/die casting/stamping/plastic injection." And in 2007 it was claimed that the company was in talks with Volkswagen over building an Apple-integrated concept car.

Apple also launched support for Siri "Eyes Free" functionality with the debut of iOS 6 this year. The new feature allows car-makers to integrate Siri voice control when connected to an iPhone.

Apple announced partnerships with nine auto makers when it unveiled Siri Eyes Free in June. GM's Chevrolet Spark and Sonic are expected to be the first vehicles to support Siri integration. Other car makers involved are BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler and Honda.

di Montezemolo revealed in comments earlier this year that he had a two-hour meeting with Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook to talk about corporate strategy and management styles. He said that he gained insight from Cook regarding Apple's focus on simplicity, design, and "a passion for product."

"We're building cars, they build computers," he said. "But Apple and Ferrari are connected by the same passion, the same love for the product, maniacal attention to technology, but also to design."

Daily
Apple's Eddy Cue, left, with News Corp.'s Rupert Murdoch jointly unveiled The Daily in February 2011.

A profile of Cue published earlier this year portrayed him as Apple's "dealmaker," and a man who has been crucial to the company's negotiations with carriers, record companies and movie studios.

Cue, who has spent nearly 24 years at Apple, played a prominent role in the establishment of iBooks and the creation of iLife. He also reportedly led negotiations with News Corp to help launch the iPad-exclusive The Daily that showed off Apple's in-app subscription service.

In addition to the iTunes Store, iBooks iOS Maps and Siri, Cue also oversees the iOS App Store and iCloud.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27

Nice fit - well done Eddy

• Reply 2 of 27

Wow... I see cars as a great thing in the future of Apple.

But are they seriously starting with "the" car manufacturer, Ferrari?

(Actually, **** Ferrari, nothing beats a class s65 amg type of thing.)

• Reply 3 of 27
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    hmmm - must be a pretty easy thing to be on a board of directors - how many people sit on two or three boards? I should get me one of those gigs.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Ferrari: the car for the rest of us.

Snigger.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

hmmm - must be a pretty easy thing to be on a board of directors - how many people sit on two or three boards? I should get me one of those gigs.

Not necessarily easy, but if you are seen in the industry as a leader you could be asked, Best part you get paid as well including your expenses. I knew a guy who was retired at 50 and sat on 5 boards and use this money for fun and travel. at the time is was like $30 to $50K depending on the company. 

• Reply 6 of 27
    I'd like to see an electric supercar from Ferrari. With built in lightning connector dock.
    Cue: make it happen.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Well, you have to start somewhere, so you might better go with the company with deep R&D pockets (think racing), and who also has something to prove, technology-wise. Daimler or VW have to think about commercial application, Ferrari only how far they can push the envelope.

Turn by turn navigation at 200 mph should be interesting and instructive. The VolksAutos can come later as the bugs are worked out.
  • Reply 8 of 27

(PRODUCT)^ROSSO CORSA

I'd like to see what would come out of this relationship.

• Reply 9 of 27

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I'd like to see what would come out of this relationship.

An expensive, ugly iPhone Ferrari Edition?

• Reply 10 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I was thinking it would the other way and we'd see a Ferrari that's a rectangle with rounded corners, complete with similar shaped steering wheel, console switches, dials, and buttons, and of course the rims and tires have to have the same shape too.

• Reply 11 of 27
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

A partnership with Ferrari would make absolutely no sense. Apple makes mass market devices. They're not gonna make deals with a company like Ferrari, who makes products for the ultra rich and has no real marketshare. 

• Reply 12 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

A partnership with Ferrari would make absolutely no sense. Apple makes mass market devices. They're not gonna make deals with a company like Ferrari, who makes products for the ultra rich and has no real marketshare. 

A hint that Apple is interested in cars is just idle speculation and likely has no relationship whatsoever in Eddy joining the Ferrari BOD. 

• Reply 13 of 27
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, Lamborghini have their Cool, Suave, Exclusive, Homer Simpson, Android phones, so why not?

• Reply 14 of 27
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

Well if Apple made cars, I'm sure they'd go Zune Zune...

• Reply 15 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

(Actually, **** Ferrari, nothing beats a class s65 amg type of thing.)

You forgot to include the sarcasm tag, right?

• Reply 16 of 27
    moxom wrote: »
    Well if Apple made cars, I'm sure they'd go Zune Zune...

:D

That's the sound made by Microsoft's inevitable copy of the Apple Car.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    slurpy wrote: »

I don't see this happening. A seat on the BOD is sometimes just an advisory role.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I [B]knew[/B] I shoulda waited.
  • Reply 19 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I was thinking it would the other way and we'd see a Ferrari that's a rectangle with rounded corners, complete with similar shaped steering wheel, console switches, dials, and buttons, and of course the rims and tires have to have the same shape too.

I think the steering wheel should be a click wheel.

• Reply 20 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

You forgot to include the sarcasm tag, right?

Not really, there's countless videos of the s65amg beating new ferraris (straight line) while having the beauty and luxury that's anonymous to ferrari.