AT&T to offer iPhone 5 FaceTime over cellular without a shared data plan

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    aatbaatb Posts: 10member
    Too little too late for me AT&T. I've already switched to Verizon. Not that this had anything to do with it. I'd been with AT&T since before the original iPhone and after a poor experience with them, it's time to move on as well.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 165member
    Skype is better the FaceTime. And it works great on Unlimited plans.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    ATT capping its business potential by restricting people from using FaceTime. The data is the account holders to use in any manner they see fit. If the account holder with unlimited data goes over the 5GB limit he will be throttled Why limit the account holder as to how they can use their data.
  • Reply 24 of 36

Who cares? AT&T it's too late. I am the old legacy unlimited data plan subscriber and you don't support this. I am already evaluating moving to Sprint.

• Reply 25 of 36
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

AT&T only allows FaceTime with 6th generation iPhones? That really sucks guys.

• Reply 26 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    The only users who will be left out of FaceTime over cellular will be
    those with legacy unlimited data plan
    To rephrase it, FaceTime over cellular is available ONLY to iOS 6 customers with an LTE device or those with a Shared data plan.

iPad 1, 2 with a tiered data plan and all non-iPhone 5 users with a tiered data plan are still blocked.

1 doesn't have a FFC
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    AT&T only allows FaceTime with 6th generation iPhones? That really sucks guys.

Another reason to get the 5. Or even better; hop over to Sprint.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    wingswings Posts: 261member

Someone needs to shove the face of AT&T into a dictionary.

unlimited |??n?limitid| adjective

not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

Whatever happened to false advertising? Oh, I see it's alive and well at AT&T.

• Reply 28 of 36

Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Someone needs to shove the face of AT&T into a dictionary.

unlimited |??n?limitid| adjective

not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

They can't be sued over this because there's an 'or' there. It's unlimited in extent, as in "you can use the service anywhere you're on our network that we have data". This allows them to cap and throttle in every other regard.

• Reply 29 of 36
    They can't be sued over this because there's an 'or' there. It's unlimited in extent, as in "you can use the service anywhere you're on our network that we have data". This allows them to cap and throttle in every other regard.

No. They CAN be sued. Anyone can be sued for just about anything. They cannot be sued in the form of a class-action lawsuit.

If we were to use your personal rationalization of AT&T's nonsense then ALL of AT&T's data plans are unlimited in that they all let a customer "use the service anywhere you're on our network that we have data.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    We can do the same with Skype over 3G and LTE. If Apple isn't wiling to stand up to AT&T regarding this BS then people will either simply not use Apple's facetime or will instead use Microsoft's (a competitor) Skype instead.
  • Reply 31 of 36

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

No. They CAN be sued. Anyone can be sued for just about anything. They cannot be sued in the form of a class-action lawsuit.

If you use your personal rationalization of AT&T's nonsense then ALL of AT&T's data plans are unlimited in that they all let a customer "use the service anywhere you're on our network that we have data.

Does sarcasm not exist in your culture?

• Reply 32 of 36
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

1 doesn't have a FFC

Another reason to get the 5. Or even better; hop over to Sprint.

I already own an iPhone 5 but my wife and friends don't so FaceTime over cellular is useless to me.

• Reply 33 of 36
    Does sarcasm not exist in your culture?

Sarcasm? So you're going to play the sarcasm card now that someone has faulted your logic. Nice. (For the record...THAT was sarcasm)
  • Reply 34 of 36

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

So you're going to play the sarcasm card now that someone has faulted your logic.

Guess not.

• Reply 35 of 36

I've been living out of the country for 18 months and don't really know about AT&T's data plans and all these new shared plans, new shared plans vs. old plans etc.

I still have a line with my parents for $10 to keep the number I had. I will return in March and I'll have my iPhone back on AT&T. Will I be able to do FT over 3G even if I'm the only line with a smartphone?

• Reply 36 of 36

Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post

I still have a line with my parents for $10 to keep the number I had. I will return in March and I'll have my iPhone back on AT&T. Will I be able to do FT over 3G even if I'm the only line with a smartphone?

Yes, if you upgrade to the newest plans.