Apple's next major market for iOS may be automotive

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

I'm all for Apple making bigger inroads into the automotive sector but it still shouldn't ignore the living room.  There's still big potential there. 

So, it's either/or ?

• Reply 22 of 81

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Well, let me parse it out, because maybe it's not as obvious as I thought. Here's what he said:

People who live in Hollywood go to a lot of stupid Hollywood movies and never question what that does to their imagination. In fact, they are even cheerleaders for the weird nightmare feverishness that has made up most H'wood movies for a long time now. Maybe they work in scenery or props when they can get a job. So notice:

"Franken Maps" / "a freeway running right through my house" / "drive you into a tree" / "you can't even make this shit up" – translation: you couldn't put this in a script"

I'm not saying only Hollywood produces this kind of extreme unhinged imagination, but I do recognize it, having running across the type around L.A.

Maybe eat@me himself will weigh in on this.

Oh, I know what you were saying about him and the mindset of the general public over there, and while I sort of agree with that myself and definitely see how you can draw that conclusion, can't be insulting users here. And I wouldn't look down on someone simply because of where they lived, myself.

Shame no one got the wordplay in my reply, though. But phoneme and word root humor is pretty dang obscure…

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What's the average lifespan of a car and what's the average lifespan of a lcd screen and whatever electronics run it? How soon before the car you own is no longer supported?

I'm not suggesting that everyone is like me with their possessions. When I have a vehicle, I drive it until it's financially irresponsible to keep driving it, or until it dies. Usually the former equals the latter, because I take care of my possessions. For computers, I use a device until I can't do the work (or play) I need (or would like) to do on it, and then I get another. People get all snotty with me because I have a first-gen iPad, of all things. Device isn't even three years old yet. "Well, Apple doesn't make devices for you," they say, putting a particularly nasal sound in the last word as they look down them (well, up them) at me, acting as though I should be buying whatever is newest whenever it exists. I can't do that financially and that doesn't make sense to me operationally.

I realize some people do that, particularly with computers. I know that many people do that with cars, even. Sure, two or three year trade-ins. See, they can easily be designed with that in mind. But they absolutely should also be designed with me in mind. Apple does that now, you see. Had my Mac Pro for three years. Barring no switch to a desktop multitouch system, I expect to get another, what, I guess three years of software updates for it? And then another three beyond that of meaningful use. Maybe. And hey, even with computers moving to fully multitouch, Apple would have to make just displays, too. Plug 'er in and let it fly (of course it'll be Thunderbolt-based and I can't use Thunderbolt peripherals, so that'd be the only hold-back). 

Anyway, cars. My Mac Pro won't run any slower than the day it came out of the box. Neither would the hardware inside these cars. Sure, the car itself would wear down. Hey, even a Tesla X will lose battery life over time. And would the software stop working? No. Why should it?

Thing is, Apple does this? Then they start an entirely new revolution. Again. Vehicle dashboards will be standardized. Since it's just a 21:9 LCD panel, you'll be able to buy one and put it in aftermarket if it ever needs replaced. Just as there are standard car parts now, there would be three to five standard sizes of these panels. I don't foresee any problem. 

And the hobbyists would put newer hardware into their cars, of course, just like there's a fledgling in-car Mac Mini community now. They'd just swap the inside PCB for a new one.

• Reply 23 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But while Nokia's Navteq has signed up partnerships with a wide variety of car makers to license its Navteq maps for their navigation systems, Nokia's primary business in mobile phones began actively collapsing with the rapid shift toward smartphones, a factor Apple's iPhone had accelerated.

I think this is the main point of the article.

• Reply 24 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What's the average lifespan of a car and what's the average lifespan of a lcd screen and whatever electronics run it? How soon before the car you own is no longer supported?

Better not buy any car then considering the amount of electronics they contain. An average new car will already have 10 or more computers all networked together. Cars also have more than one network as they will separate the high speed powertrain network (needed to allow for fast communication between the engine, transmission and ABS for features like stability and traction control) from all the other modules in the car.

Modern vehicles are far more complex than they were even 10-15 years ago. Usually when something becomes more complex reliability goes down. Yet despite modern vehicles becoming more complex they are still more reliable than the junkers from, say, the 80's (which were quite simple in comparison).

• Reply 25 of 81
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Oh, I know what you were saying about him and the mindset of the general public over there, and while I sort of agree with that myself and definitely see how you can draw that conclusion, can't be insulting users here. And I wouldn't look down on someone simply because of where they lived, myself.

Shame no one got the wordplay in my reply, though. But phoneme and word root humor is pretty dang obscure…

Yeah, you're right, but you're a nice guy 'cause you live in Indiana. : ) I did time there myself, but I left before I could get to be a nice guy. Now look at me, after 40 years in L.A.

I still didn't get the joke. I'll think about it.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Better not buy any car then considering the amount of electronics they contain. An average new car will already have 10 or more computers all networked together. Cars also have more than one network as they will separate the high speed powertrain network (needed to allow for fast communication between the engine, transmission and ABS for features like stability and traction control) from all the other modules in the car.

Modern vehicles are far more complex than they were even 10-15 years ago. Usually when something becomes more complex reliability goes down. Yet despite modern vehicles becoming more complex they are still more reliable than the junkers from, say, the 80's (which were quite simple in comparison).

Hey, watch it, my '69 fuel-injected VW Squareback is still going just fine. D-Jetronic, what a system.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    The automotive market makes sense, but Apple TV not just about a smart tv. It is about the potential for being a content provider. With iTunes, being the primary source for music, it is just a matter of time before bands are signing directly with Apple and bypassing the record labels. The same is true for books.

Now think about TV and movies. Imagine an Apple Channel, or possibly several, that compete directly with HBO, AMC, Netflix, etc. Apple won't initially develop the content, rather they will be signing deals. Anyone shopping around a new tv series or movie will now have the Apple Channel in addition to the major networks and cable tv channels as potential options. Apple will apply their "think different" philosophy to content selection, and they will provide a superior experience to the competition. Think about what Disney has done with Pixar, Marvel and eventually Star Wars. There is a place for Apple in this market too. Content is king. No matter how great their tv is, it will just become a commodity sooner than later.

The main issue here is that most people get internet/tv channels thru the cable companies, so this creates a real conflict. They either need to negotiate a deal with the cable providers, develop their own network, partner with Google Fiber, or maybe get AT&T and Verizon to significantly improve their wireless/fiberoptic infrastructure to delivery tv/video and eliminate the cable businesses.
  • Reply 28 of 81

Originally Posted by Apple Pie View Post

…Apple TV not just about a smart tv. It is about the potential for being a content provider. With iTunes, being the primary source for music, it is just a matter of time before bands are signing directly with Apple and bypassing the record labels. The same is true for books.

I like that you're thinking about this. But they're already a content provider! You can drop everything and just go Apple, getting your news from the free local channels and online. 

Now think about TV and movies. Imagine an Apple Channel, or possibly several, that compete directly with HBO, AMC, Netflix, etc. Apple won't initially develop the content, rather they will be signing deals.

I like the idea of bypassing the telecoms (television telecoms this time), but not for Apple to create their own content. Simply going to the channels (and even individual shows) themselves and saying, "Hey. We've made the future of TV. You want in?" 

Think about what Disney has done with Pixar, Marvel and eventually Star Wars.

I really don't want to. ????

No matter how great their tv is, it will just become a commodity sooner than later.

Mhmm. Mhmm.

The main issue here is that most people get internet/tv channels thru the cable companies, so this creates a real conflict. They either need to negotiate a deal with the cable providers, develop their own network, partner with Google Fiber, or maybe get AT&T and Verizon to significantly improve their wireless/fiberoptic infrastructure to delivery tv/video and eliminate the cable businesses.

Or go around 'em. Yep.

• Reply 29 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

Automotive? That was a laugh -

Apple's non-functional Franken Maps will drive you into a tree or completely wrong direction. It will take a 2-3 of years at least to get the level where Nokia and Google are at. The data is terrible and even worse when you get outside the US.

I looked up my house on Apple Maps and apparently there is a freeway running right through my house - you can't even make this sh*t up

no street view, not automotive grade by a long shot

See? And all this time you thought it was your wife's snoring that kept waking you up!

• Reply 30 of 81
    eat@me wrote: »
    Apple's non-functional Franken Maps will drive you into a tree or completely wrong direction. It will take a 2-3 of years at least to get the level where Nokia and Google are at. The data is terrible and even worse when you get outside the US.
    I looked up my house on Apple Maps and apparently there is a freeway running right through my house - you can't even make this sh*t up

Sorry to dissapoint you, Apple Map works perfectly in Australia!
  • Reply 31 of 81

I wish there was a method to integrate my iPod, iPhone or iPad with my 2009 Ford 250.  Ford uses Microsoft stuff which does not work my Apple devices.  It would be great if there is a way to replace the Microsoft system with an Apple.  

• Reply 32 of 81

Originally Posted by Lazol View Post

Did you notice problems when it launched? I remember some Australian users specifically mentioning that.

• Reply 33 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Hey, watch it, my '69 fuel-injected VW Squareback is still going just fine. D-Jetronic, what a system.

I've converted several Jetronics to standalone. Most recent one was a Countach. ;)

• Reply 34 of 81
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quite insightful, putting Siri and Maps and iPod interfaces together and concluding the auto is the next big thing, definitely sounds plausible to me. And it's what Apple needs to lift their stock price back up.

It's not enough to just have a genius ops man (Cook) and a genius designer (Ive), there needs to be someone who has a vision of what the future could/should be, and someone else (maybe the same person, in the case of Steve) with the ability to lead people there.

Reinventing the car would show that Apple is still that kind of company, whereas the iPad mini just showed that they can follow their competitors to a market segment that has already been shown to work.

• Reply 35 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazol View Post

Sorry to disappoint you, Apple Maps work like s**t in Russia!

I still can't understand why Apple, of all companies, acquired such a low-quality dataset for Russia. There are no buildings at all. Half of placemarks are in the wrong places. Even some subway stations are missing! Some major streets have names that were changed 20 years ago. Satellite images have opaque clouds that completely obstruct whole blocks of the city. Categories are junk, e.g. some embassies are categorized as restaurants (and have restaurant badges). My theory is that the guy responsible for selecting data providers simply screwed up. I've sent about a hundred corrections to Apple and gave up. It's hopeless. It can't be fixed that way. They need to: a) acquire a new dataset with buildings; b) completely throw away current placemark database and re-build it from ground up with rigorous quality control.

• Reply 36 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

Actually, we both know you make a lot of shit up because you are full of it.

• Reply 37 of 81
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    AWW YEAH. 

I don't really care about what everyone is thinking about it in this regard, I care about what it can become.

Picture this: no more frigging mechanical dials on your dashboard. It's just an LCD panel. What is shown there is customizable, based on YOU. You don't want to see something all the time, it's gone. And then everything shows up WHEN it's needed. So your oil's low? You get a yellow "low oil" banner on the top of the dashboard. Engine needs checked? A red "check engine" banner. Goes away when you don't need to see it. Yeah, my battery's charged. Great; that's space wasted. If I want to see it, I see it.

And then for the windshield, augmented reality. Have your GPS directions pasted right onto the world around you! No more looking down between your hands (because it could just as easily be in the dash prior to this), there's a line right on the road as you're driving. Chip built right into the car instead of paying however much for those standalone things or using your iDevice's. Siri, built into the car (and free with the car for its life), speaks your directions through the car stereo, and is connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth for calls.

The last time I looked, automobile manufacturers had to support and supply replacement parts for 13 years… At least in the United States.

I don't know if that applies to entertainment systems like car radios and DVDs.

Manufactures might be able to get around this by simply providing a standard link (WiFi or wired) to an external device.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    mac-user wrote: »
    But while Nokia's Navteq has signed up partnerships with a wide variety of car makers to license its Navteq maps for their navigation systems, Nokia's primary business in mobile phones began actively collapsing with the rapid shift toward smartphones, a factor Apple's iPhone had accelerated.
    I think this is the main point of the article.

I wonder…

Last June, Apple suddenly ended an on-going patent dispute and signed a patent license agreement with Nokia. Terms of the agreement were never revealed.

It would not surprise me if Apple sweetened the deal to get access to NavTeq technology. (Apple was in the middle of developing their maps app and turn-by-turn navigation).
  • Reply 39 of 81
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The last time I looked, automobile manufacturers had to support and supply replacement parts for 13 years… At least in the United States.
    I don't know if that applies to entertainment systems like car radios and DVDs.
    Manufactures might be able to get around this by simply providing a standard link (WiFi or wired) to an external device.

And after 13 years? Is JC Whitney going to have a Apple section? Lol
  • Reply 40 of 81
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    this is what Siri was meant for.

Siri, please text my friend "OMG No Wayyyyyy" so i can avoid getting into accidents with people who actually look at the road while driving.