Parallels Desktop 8 update enhances support for Windows 8

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac has been updated with expanded support for Microsoft's newly released Windows 8 operating system.

The update to Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac allows Mac users to access Windows 8 tablet gestures and use a Windows 8 interface tile to access shared Mac apps. The updates also enable people to use Mountain Lion's Dictation feature in Windows applications.

Users can also add Windows applications to Launchpad on the Mac dock, and software will also take advantage of the Retina display on Apple's 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros.

"Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac on a MacBook Pro with Retina display is one of the best ways to run Windows 8," said Laura DiDio, Principal, Information Technology Intelligence Consulting. "It enables people to experience Windows 8 on a Mac with the most vivid Retina resolution of 2880-by-1800 pixels, but with more readable text and graphics.

"Parallels Desktop 8 delivers excellent interoperability between the Windows and Mac environments, and empowers users to choose the amount of integration between Windows 8 and Mountain Lion that best suits them."

Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac costs $79.99 for new customers, $39.99 for students, and $49.99 for owners of previous versions. A free trial is also available, as well as the $99.99 "Switch to Mac Edition" for current Windows users.

The full list of new and expanded features, according to Parallels, are:
  • Support for Windows 8 tablet gestures
  • Addition of a single tile to the Windows 8 interface for easy access to shared Mac apps
  • Full USB 3.0 support for faster connections to peripheral devices
  • Updated Retina display settings for easier screen optimization
  • Smooth transitions when entering and exiting Coherence mode
  • Increased virtual machine limits for running large appsPreviously available Parallels
Previously available features with Windows 8 and Mountain Lion are
  • Sticky Mouse for Windows 8: When running in window view mode and slowly crossing the border of Windows 8 and Mountain Lion, the Sticky Mouse feature of Parallels Desktop 8 causes the mouse to stop at the border so you can simply move it to the last pixels in the corner of Windows 8 to access the Charms, Start and other menus or pages
  • Use Mountain Lion?s Dictation in text-based Windows apps
  • Windows 8 apps can be added to Mac Dock and to Launchpad
  • Open in Internet Explorer (IE) button added to Safari launches the Windows 8 IE browser to quickly access a website that requires IE
  • Mountain Lion Notification Center: Parallels Desktop 8 integrates Window 8 Toast Notifications into the Mountain Lion Notification Center so users in Mountain Lion can receive messages from Windows 8 and its calendar, games, Internet Explorer, mail, messaging, music, store and video plus all new applications that support Windows 8 Toast notifications
  • Windows 8 applications in Full Screen and Mission Control
  • Desktop and Windows 8 applications are searchable in Spotlight
  • Launch Windows 8 applications while in Coherence mode
  • Windows 8 running in window view mode at low resolution (less than 1024x768) is scaled, so Windows 8 apps still can be started on a 13-inch MacBook Pro or MacBook Air and 11-inch MacBook Air when using Windows 8
  • Windows 8 user interface and desktop applications on a Retina display are readable with the ?Best for Retina? option enabled, making high-resolution text more readable

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    They lost my business after the last upgrade gouging.

Good luck with that...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    They're close to making me a Fusion convert if they didn't fix Coherence yet with this update.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Here's a gesture for Windows 8:

• Reply 4 of 17

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Here's a gesture for Windows 8:

At least it's better than the puffy hand we have in OS X now…

• Reply 5 of 17

what about parallels 7 desktop?

their website says something to the effect that they are "working on desktop 7" and that we should hold off getting windows 8 until they are finished.

I hope that is not lip service and that they are not planning to leave us version 7 users in the dust...

• Reply 6 of 17
    Yeah great! That's fantastic! It's so damn cool!

[I]Shush (Can anybody tell me what Win$ 8 ist good for on a Mac)[/I]
  • Reply 7 of 17
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

At least it's better than the puffy hand we have in OS X now…

Actually, that cursor redesign struck me as strange at the time but now it's kind of grown on me.

However, it does make you wonder how much influence Disney has over at Apple now...

• Reply 8 of 17
    The update takes us to what version number - does anyone know - I updated a couple of days back - and its showing i'm up to date - so either this is old news or something is wrong -
  • Reply 9 of 17

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

However, it does make you wonder how much influence Disney has over at Apple now...

Zero.

I prefer the old icon, and then when we get to the point where it's really retina on the desktop, I'd like something more photorealistic. You know, looks like an actual glove of that type, not a cartoon one.

But how the cursor looks won't matter for much longer…

• Reply 10 of 17
    gtr wrote: »
    Actually, that cursor redesign struck me as strange at the time but now it's kind of grown on me.

LL

Well obviously Apple is ahead of Disney. Apples Hand has grown an additional finger. ;)
  • Reply 11 of 17
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Yeah great! That's fantastic! It's so damn cool!

Shush (Can anybody tell me what Win$ 8 ist good for on a Mac)

(Probably the same as Win7; nothing more, possibly less.)

I reluctantly use Fusion now and then to access a couple of specialty programs no longer supported (since Tiger) on the Mac. Fast enough, works fine and causes no problems, so I see no conceivable reason to try Parallels. Other people might though (?)

• Reply 12 of 17
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

The update takes us to what version number - does anyone know - I updated a couple of days back - and its showing i'm up to date - so either this is old news or something is wrong -

I have Build 8.0.18314, which is a couple of days old. I think this story is late.

• Reply 13 of 17

Will Apple use multitouch gestures on their amazing trackpads when win8 is supported by bootcamp? It would be the best win8 experience for every laptop.

I would like to try it out.

• Reply 14 of 17

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Will Apple use multitouch gestures on their amazing trackpads when win8 is supported by bootcamp? It would be the best win8 experience for every laptop.

Don't they already? 

• Reply 15 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Well obviously Apple is ahead of Disney. Apples Hand has grown an additional finger. image

Mickey apparently lost a finger in an accident on the set. You can clearly see in this picture,

that mice of Mickey's strain -- C57BL/6J -- clearly have 4 fingers and a thumb. Although, it's interesting that Disney forced Mickey to shave.

• Reply 16 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I have Build 8.0.18314, which is a couple of days old. I think this story is late.

thanks! - I have same Build 8.0.18314 also

• Reply 17 of 17
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Metro is a train wreck. The new MS commercial makes me dizzy trying to discern what I'm seeing. Bright colors, picture squares, sliding panels ... WTF!? The only place I actually have to use it is on my MSN iPad app, and its just a jumble of information ... Did they actually hire experts to develop this, or is it something the tech geeksand Blamer just thought looked cool?