Apple's next major market for iOS may be automotive

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What's the average lifespan of a car and what's the average lifespan of a lcd screen and whatever electronics run it? How soon before the car you own is no longer supported?

Better not buy any car then considering the amount of electronics they contain. An average new car will already have 10 or more computers all networked together. Cars also have more than one network as they will separate the high speed powertrain network (needed to allow for fast communication between the engine, transmission and ABS for features like stability and traction control) from all the other modules in the car.

Modern vehicles are far more complex than they were even 10-15 years ago. Usually when something becomes more complex reliability goes down. Yet despite modern vehicles becoming more complex they are still more reliable than the junkers from, say, the 80's (which were quite simple in comparison).

1-5-3-6-2-4

I grew up around the auto industry. My dad was in the business for over 40 years.

When a third-party gets his device written into the specs of a car, he not only sells original equipment but replacement equipment. So, if Chevy plans on selling 500 cars they might order 700 devices - with 200 as spare/replacement parts.

For the US military it's even better -- with up to a 4 to 1 ratio of replacement parts to original parts.

Dad's company made brakes that were used to steer tanks, among other things.
  • Reply 42 of 81
    flaneur wrote: »
    Better not buy any car then considering the amount of electronics they contain. An average new car will already have 10 or more computers all networked together. Cars also have more than one network as they will separate the high speed powertrain network (needed to allow for fast communication between the engine, transmission and ABS for features like stability and traction control) from all the other modules in the car.

Modern vehicles are far more complex than they were even 10-15 years ago. Usually when something becomes more complex reliability goes down. Yet despite modern vehicles becoming more complex they are still more reliable than the junkers from, say, the 80's (which were quite simple in comparison).

Hey, watch it, my '69 fuel-injected VW Squareback is still going just fine. D-Jetronic, what a system.

I had a '68 VW Squareback (international racing green with tan interior). Loved that car! The only problem, was that it was a little hard to handle in high winds. I eventually rolled it.
  • Reply 43 of 81
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I had a '68 VW Squareback (international racing green with tan interior). Loved that car! The only problem, was that it was a little hard to handle in high winds. I eventually rolled it.

I had that same car, same color!, bought new in Germany in late '67. When it rained it got water on the floor in the back. Later I foumd that many Squarebacks had that problem, have yet to find out why. I put up with it because it's still the most practical car VW made in the air cooled era.

Once driving through your area I got behind a guy on the 101 in a light blue '68. He had made a sign out of little sticker-letters: "1968 VW SQUAREBACK FIRST CAR WITH ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION". He looked like an engineer, like he might have worked for HP. That was sometime in the late '90s. His car was in its 30s.

I now know that the Bosch control units, all discrete components, and the electric fuel pumps, last for 45 years.
  • Reply 44 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

AWW YEAH. 

I don't really care about what everyone is thinking about it in this regard, I care about what it can become.

Picture this: no more frigging mechanical dials on your dashboard. It's just an LCD panel. What is shown there is customizable, based on YOU. You don't want to see something all the time, it's gone. And then everything shows up WHEN it's needed. So your oil's low? You get a yellow "low oil" banner on the top of the dashboard. Engine needs checked? A red "check engine" banner. Goes away when you don't need to see it. Yeah, my battery's charged. Great; that's space wasted. If I want to see it, I see it.

Erm, hasn't Tesla Motors already done this with the 17-inch touchscreen in the Tesla Model S?

• Reply 45 of 81

Originally Posted by Gluben View Post

Erm, hasn't Tesla Motors already done this with the 17-inch touchscreen in the Tesla Model S?

Yeah, running ANDROID. And they're the only company to do it. I don't see why everyone isn't moving to this.

The 17" is the console; the dash is also another display, but I don't know if it's customizable.

• Reply 46 of 81
    1-5-3-6-2-4
    I grew up around the auto industry. My dad was in the business for over 40 years.
    I work in automotive currently, specifically with embedded systems. For the trolls that means I'm involved with the design and testing of the hardware/software of all those computer modules in your car.

Although I think this is a good idea I think it will be difficult for Apple. People think the cronies at the TV networks are resistant to change - well, I also see that with automotive companies.
  • Reply 47 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I had that same car, same color!, bought new in Germany in late '67. When it rained it got water on the floor in the back. Later I foumd that many Squarebacks had that problem, have yet to find out why. I put up with it because it's still the most practical car VW made in the air cooled era.

Once driving through your area I got behind a guy on the 101 in a light blue '68. He had made a sign out of little sticker-letters: "1968 VW SQUAREBACK FIRST CAR WITH ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION". He looked like an engineer, like he might have worked for HP. That was sometime in the late '90s. His car was in its 30s.

I now know that the Bosch control units, all discrete components, and the electric fuel pumps, last for 45 years.

Ha!  Before Nov 1963 when I went to work for IBM {long hours - no personal time), I used to work on my own cars...  

Electronic Fuel Injection -- what nonsense is that?

A "real man's" car had carburetors... I can remember adjusting/balancing the dual carburetors on my '53 MG TD by sound... seriously, you would place a vacuum cleaner hose to your ear and move the other end between the two carburetors -- making adjustments until they sounded the same.

You usually did this after adjusting the valves...

Then to finish, you'd do a final tightening of each tappet...

Often, you would break one of the tappet bolts... then borrow a car, go down to the dealer for a new tappet -- and start the whole process over again...

If you started early enough on a Saturday, you could just make it to the dealer before they closed at 1:00 PM.

Ahh....  Today, I can't recognize anything I see under the hood of a car... sigh!

BTW, I never had the water leak problem.  Bought the car in Las Vegas in '68... Moved to Rural Chicagoland '68.  Drove to Pittsburgh - Boston and back via Upstate New York via Niagara Falls -- through really bad snow and sleet.  Rolled it in '71 driving through a heavily protected (tree-lined) road - then was flipped by a gust of wind at an opening in the trees.

BTW, I grew up my teen years in Pasadena, 1951-1959 and lived in the greater LA area until I moved to Las Vegas in 1963.  

I can remember when Hollywood was a nice place. 

• Reply 48 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

1-5-3-6-2-4

I work in automotive currently, specifically with embedded systems. For the trolls that means I'm involved with the design and testing of the hardware/software of all those computer modules in your car.

Although I think this is a good idea I think it will be difficult for Apple. People think the cronies at the TV networks are resistant to change - well, I also see that with automotive companies.

I would think that a natural entry point for Apple would be to sell iPads in lieu of expensive built-in entertainment systems.   My 3 grandkids recently took a trip to Canada with their father.  Each kid has an iPad and were individually, able to watch movies, read and play games during the trip.  Then, take the iPads with them into the motel at night... and use WiFi to surf, text, FaceTime, etc.

From what I understand this is a lot more flexible, and a lot cheaper, than a built-in entertainment system.

• Reply 49 of 81
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    ... think I must have hit a nerve but let's just stick to a few facts on Mapping & Location technology here beyond the dumb and personal comments about me or LA.

Beyond the veneer of a map layer, there is a composite of many map data and visual layers and attributes in both 2D and 3D. In order for Apple to have "functional" navigational maps for the automotive segment, they are lacking lacking data big time here - they stitched it together from various sources like TomTom - they do not create not succesfully integrate the full stack - content, platform, apps. They are not capturing Lidar data, capturing street level, capturing road attributes, signposts, freeway height restrictions, parking etc like Google and Nokia/Navteq have been doing for years. Apple Maps are NOT automotive grade and they know that, too. It will take them a LONG time and it is hard Where is the multi-modal public transport and realtime timetables, building outlines, where are the indoor maps? Do they support fully offline mode? In vector versus tile formats. Is there Augmented Reality? What is Apple Global coverage beyond USA and EU and Australia and is there turn-by-turn in many areas? The quality, accuracy and coverage of Apple Maps is far inferior and they depend on TomTom which has OK data but not premium grade - Navteq and Google have that. What about the geocoded? is it accurate? 80% of all map and automotive map and location content comes from Navteq/Nokia (which powers Bing and Amazon) and Google and Nokia are in dozens of car manufacturers now. Getting entrenched for Apple into this space will take time if not years before you actually see it deployed in a car with two technologies still in very much beta - Siri and Maps. They can tap into using Bluetooth LE now with Siri but tethering with Maps - they are not there yet

I would encourage you to check out Google Maps again and Nokia Maps/Drive again on a mobile device and compare them with Apple Maps.

So, for all of you, taking some cheap pot shots at Apple Maps, relax and then challenge me on the above and then tell me Apple Maps are superior to either Nokia/Navteq and Google?

Not everything Apple does is superior so I encourage some to take the blinders off and challenge me on facts on Why Apple Maps are either better or automotive grade
  • Reply 50 of 81

I have been a Mac user since 1992, and I look at this forum almost daily. I find it informative, interesting and sometimes entertaining (especially when some of you start in on each other), but for the most part, I just don't have much to say.

BUT...the notion that Apple would get involved in (at least) car audio is probably what prompts me to look at this site more than any other topic. And today, I feel compelled to make my what, eighth post? (I don't even know where to look, but I feel someone will correct me if I'm off...)

"Hope springs eternal."

Whether they actually go for the factory install approach or not, with the release of the iPad Mini I think the accessory market needs to immediately come up with something on the order of a clip-mount that can be left in the car in which the Mini can be easliy snapped in and removed. Think along the lines of a removable faceplate. Since the Mini is nearly the size of a double-din (close enough for me), it would be much more serviceable as an automobile device than an iPhone ("here...plug your iPhone into this jack and then use it to do whatever...").

A Mini with 3G would be a bargain.

In 2005 I had a Pioneer AVIC-3 installed in my lowly Toyota Matrix for about a grand. It was awesome; it had GPS (DVD based), could connect to (and power) up to an iPhone 3GS, sounded great and it actually fit in the hole created by removing the factory 6-CD changer. The "touch screen" was a little clunky, but hey, it was "state of the art." 

Now however, the unit is essentially obsolete. It will connect to (but not power) an iPhone 4, the maps are out of date, the company that installed it is out of business, the Matrix has 103000 miles on it, is paid off, runs great, looks...like a 2005 Matrix...still sounds great, etc., but I'll be damned if I'm going to upgrade the stereo for another grand.  

When things settle down a bit (in terms of availability), I'll Velcro a Mini to the face of the AVIC-3, use the headphone jack and the 110 V outlet before I buy a new car stereo.

It would be cooler if I could just snap it in.

Back into my cave...

• Reply 51 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Utter drivel.

How are Apple going to make money in the TV market? By selling a TV. End of article.
  • Reply 52 of 81

Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

…let's just stick to a few facts on Mapping…

Wish you could have from the start.

Apple Maps are NOT automotive grade… …where are the indoor maps?

For the Kelsey Grammer in all of us.

What is Apple Global coverage beyond USA and EU and Australia and is there turn-by-turn in many areas?

Link

I would encourage you to check out Google Maps again and Nokia Maps/Drive again on a mobile device and compare them with Apple Maps.

Why, when we have a better interface and better-looking maps straight from Apple, who won't steal our personal information? I'm sure Yahoo! said the same thing about their maps when Google's were released. "Check it out again," they'd say.

So, for all of you, taking some cheap pot shots at Apple Maps, relax…

So you're telling yourself to relax? 

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How are Apple going to make money in the TV market? By selling a TV. End of article.

Seem to be making money just fine with an Apple TV, without all the useless overhead of a giant panel.

• Reply 53 of 81

Quote:

For the Kelsey Grammer in all of us.

Link

Here is a few other links that back up my claim - about the "quality and coverage".  Apple can claim some coverage,

not nearly as much as Google or Nokia but certainly not quality - Apple Maps suck pretty bad right now

http://www.symbiantweet.com/infographic-nokia-maps-vs-apple-maps-vs-google-maps

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/10/the-forgotten-mapmaker-nokia-has-better-maps-than-apple-and-maybe-even-google/263150/

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/09/how-google-builds-its-maps-and-what-it-means-for-the-future-of-everything/261913/

@TallestSkill

Tell me why Apple Maps are Automotive Grade?  Back up with facts that prove it?  I think I have backed up some my claims - it's no secret that Apple screwed its customers with a core service by putting out a lousy product.  Wy do you think heads are rolling and Forstall and crew are being led out the door?

They failed miserably. And Apple has not innovated one iota on Apple Maps - they come from TomTom, and C3 for 3D maps plus other acquisitions for Places - That's why I call them FrankenMaps - they stitched together the whole stack.

• Reply 54 of 81

Quote:

• Reply 55 of 81

Quote:

Seem to be making money just fine with an Apple TV, without all the useless overhead of a giant panel.

Yeah, I'm sure the Apple TV is about to eclipse the iPad business any day now. I wonder, what will you say when they bring out a TV. How will will you explain that one.

These are rhetorical questions, because I already know I won't care for your answers to them.

• Reply 56 of 81

Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

I think I have backed up some my claims…

Some, not all. Not the ones you really deem important in this regard.

…it's no secret that Apple screwed its customers with a core service by putting out a lousy product.

A secret that is only known by the trolls, apparently. It's certainly not as, what do people want to say, "complete"? as Google Maps, but that's pretty obviously going to be the case for every brand new product.

Wy do you think heads are rolling and Forstall and crew are being led out the door?

See, you're making crap up. Zero facts about the matter. You don't actually know this, and so this is just a supposition.

And Apple has not innovated one iota on Apple Maps…

Right. Of course. This also isn't a lie. image

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, I'm sure the Apple TV is about to eclipse the iPad business any day now.

Is this supposed to relate to something I said? Is a TV supposed to "eclipse" a computer? That's not the trend across the industry. 

I wonder, what will you say when they bring out a TV.

"Apple has completely lost it, both innovatively and bowing to analyst—not even consumer—whining if they think this makes any sense financially or within the ecosystem. There is nothing that a TV can do that an Apple TV cannot, except be large, unwieldy, expensive, and less profitable."

Same thing I say now. 

These are rhetorical questions, because I already know I won't care for your answers to them.

Seems really stupid to ask questions and then ignore any answer.

• Reply 57 of 81

Quote:

"Apple has completely lost it, both innovatively and bowing to analyst—not even consumer—whining if they think this makes any sense financially or within the ecosystem. There is nothing that a TV can do that an Apple TV cannot, except be large, unwieldy, expensive, and less profitable."

Same thing I say now. 

Seems really stupid to ask questions and then ignore any answer.

It is hard to resist an answer like that. I'll give you that. It is interesting that you think an Apple Television (iTV) would be less profitable than an Apple TV (little black box). Interesting, to say the lease.

Enjoy your weekend.

• Reply 58 of 81

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It is interesting that you think an Apple Television (iTV) would be less profitable than an Apple TV (little black box). Interesting, to say the lease.

Go straight by the numbers and it doesn't have to be. Whether people would pay those numbers (among other things) is a completely different story. 

The Apple TV can give a tidy 25% (or whatever it is, really) margin on the hardware and then sales of all the media purchased on it. At its price point, it's nearly a "stocking stuffer" or birthday gift, and it can be purchased and repurchased in a timeframe of just a few years with nearly no regard for it.

A TV's price point can't fulfill either of those.

• Reply 59 of 81
    I want full integration of an iPad right in the dash with Siri integrated into every aspect of the car.

Siri: You are getting low on fuel, there is a gas station just up ahead. You will need gas before arriving at your selected destination.

Siri: It is time to change your oil, do you want me to set up that appointment?

Siri: The left front tire is low on air, let's add some being we are stopped for gas.

With 4G so the wife can talk to her sister via FaceTime as we drive.
  • Reply 60 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Go straight by the numbers and it doesn't have to be. Whether people would pay those numbers (among other things) is a completely different story. 

The Apple TV can give a tidy 25% (or whatever it is, really) margin on the hardware and then sales of all the media purchased on it. At its price point, it's nearly a "stocking stuffer" or birthday gift, and it can be purchased and repurchased in a timeframe of just a few years with nearly no regard for it.

A TV's price point can't fulfill either of those.

Apple can offer a TV, but I think the consumer would demand a longer maintenance cycle if it's main game is to be a smart TV. Otherwise, I just don't see I don't think anyone will be happy if support for the latest features ends at three years like a lot of internet enabled devices. TVs are often used for over a decade, and how owners upgrade their TV is by replacing the "smart" devices attached to them. I'm pretty sure I won't replace my TV because the iTunes won't connect with it.

But again, this is Apple. Maybe they have something.