Geforce 3 in a 2X AGP (sawtooth)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've seen reports that it can be done (reviews, etc at xlr8).

Has anyone done this successfully for a significant amount of time?

thanks,

- j

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Why would you even bother? An AGP2x slot can't even begin to give the GeForce3 a run for it's money. In other words, the AGP2x slot is a bottleneck for the GeForce3. The best card for the money is a Radeon in that AGP2x slot. Anything more and you're wasting your money.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    let's say I just happen to have bought a geforce3 for a very low price. Lower than I could a radeon or MX.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    In that case, you could probably flash it. I personally have not done this, since I have a 4x AGP quciksilver. My suggestion wold be go for it. I would recommend the Radeon execept it's only 32mb. A Geforce 3 is the only 64mb card Mac guys have. good luck on flashing it.

Strider
  • Reply 4 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    from what I have read from someone that flashed a GeForce3, is that it works just fine. The person even suggested that some cards already come Mac compatible and don't need flashing at all.

go to google and insert "flash geforce3 mac" and I'm sure you'll find what I'm talking about
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    No need to flash. This is a Geforce 3 pulled out of a Quicksilver that I want to put in my Sawtooth.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Oh, flashing. It still pains me...

I got lured by the promise of faster frame rates from a pc geoforce 2 MX400 which can be flashed and used on a Mac. I messed up one step and corrupted the rom.....o well.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    just make sure you have no other PCI cards. From what I hear the AGP 2X slot does not supply enough power if you use a Geforce 3 and high power PCI cards